Re: try/catch blocks within Connection util make debugging sort of difficult

  • Thomas S. Sha
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2006
      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Derek" <tkvgzcf02@...> wrote:
      <snip>
      > see the exact cause of this issue. I would like to say that I think
      > using the try/catch blocks really does make it that much harder to
      > debug code, even with using the Logger. With Logger catching
      > everything, IE won't auto-launch the debug util and jump to the line
      > number. Firefox with Firebug won't let you jump to the debugger tool.
      > And if there is a problem with the Logger util, its very laborious to
      > track down weird issues like this with absolutely no indication as to
      > the type of error and where it is occurring. You basically have to
      > resort to alert debugging which is always fun :)
      >
      > I think Logger is great to use as a console for IE and the like, and
      > its good for the occassional random error. But I wouldn't depend on
      > upon it for full-fledge bug hunting just yet.
      >
      > If the try/catch blocks stay in, I guess I'll just have to overwrite
      > the method without them and just deal with the future upgrade
      > headaches. They are much easier to deal with than hunting down random
      > bugs.

      I understand your concern. In retrospect the try/catch blocks,
      specifically in handleTransactionResponse(), could be removed in the
      debug version so errors/exceptions thrown in the callback aren't
      "caught". In the meantime, please feel free to remove it[the
      try/catch blocks] for testing and debugging.

      The try/catch was necessary to prevent FF from throwing infinite
      errors when JS errors are encountered in the callback; it appears the
      transaction becomes reentrant. Insofar as I have tested, IE, Opera,
      Safari have not exhibit this behavior. Hopefully, I will have a more
      discrete solution to supersede the current logic at some point.

      Regards,
      Thomas