Re: YUI script and templates

  • puff01824
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2009
      Satyam,

      Thanks for the note. I'll look into the link and YUI loader as well.

      I'm not actually using Django proper as my app is running on Google
      appspot. It uses Django (0.96) templates and can use full Django,
      though I'm not currently doing so.

      I've begun to work with the YUI loader but have as yet not found a
      completely satisfactory way to use it.

      One issue I've encountered is with CSS. YUI loader appears to load
      YUI components serially and async to the page load. One consequence
      of this is that some YUI CSS is getting loaded AFTER my page's CSS so
      that the page's desired CSS is getting stepped on (I'm modifying some
      of the default YUI CSS). Presumably, a dependency can take care of this.

      Another issue I've encountered has to do with initial page display.
      When using YUI loader onload fires BEFORE all the YUI components are
      loaded. I wait for the YUI loader success event to fire but there is
      a brief but very bizarre page display until YUI is loaded and I can
      begin to use YUI components to properly display the page.

      Can anyone provide any insight into how to best address these issues.

      Regards,
      puff

      > You are right regarding the sensitivity to load order, you get them
      > wrong and it will generate all sorts of strange errors.
      >
      > I don't know about Django, but from what you say, I guess that you
      might
      > want to explore the YUI Loader, it would take care of all these
      concerns
      > you mention for you. In the common base file, you would simply load
      the
      > yuiloader or the yuiloader-dom-event aggregate file. You could then
      > create the loader instance and use the addModule method to define your
      > own scripts as modules to be loaded and specify their dependencies on
      > YUI components or on each other of your own modules. Then, each
      > individual page needs only to tell which of your own modules it
      requires
      > and from that it will pick which other of your own modules and which
      YUI
      > modules it needs and load them for you in the correct order and all
      > combined and in the proper order.
      >
      > Anyway, just asking for Django in the YUIblog site, it produces several
      > good results, amongst them:
      >
      > http://yuiblog.com/blog/2008/04/25/django-yui-loader/
      >
      > The articles is from April 2008 and there have been several YUI
      versions
      > in between, you might still have to learn about the Loader if it
      doesn't
      > work with the newer version of YUI.
      >
      > Satyam
      >

      > puff01824 wrote:
      > > I'm a bit new to YUI working on a site that uses Django templates and
      > > am looking for some best practices advice concerning YUI script tags.
      > >
      > > In my case, I've a base.html file that contains the basic page layout
      > > for all pages in the site. It uses a couple of YUI components and
      > > I've placed the appropriate YUI script tags in base.html. A second
      > > file, baseMap.html, extends base.html adding features needed by a
      > > 'map' set of pages in the site. It requires additional YUI
      components
      > > and I've placed the appropriate YUI script tags there. Finally, a
      > > third file, edit.html, extends baseMap.html adding features to
      support
      > > the page. It requires additional YUI components and I've placed the
      > > appropriate YUI scripts in it.
      > >
      > > This kind of structure is common in templating systems where there is
      > > a base HTML file that is progressively extended by additional HTML
      > > files until a final page is created.
      > >
      > > While what I'm currently doing works, I'm concerned about YUI script
      > > tags such as:
      > >
      > > * Insuring proper YUI load order. I understand that YUI can be
      > > sensative to script load order.
      > > * Insuring that dependencies are loaded.
      > > * Taking advantage of YUI rollup and combo handling.
      > >
      > > Is there a "best practices" approach to dealing with this situiation?
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > puff

      01/31/09 20:03:00

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
        You would need to put the styles you still want after the modules load
        as another file and define it via addModule with the correct
        dependencies on the YUI files it overrides so, after the YUI CSS files
        override those styles in your page, your styles once again override
        those overridden by YUI.

        Another alternative is to load your styles statically in your base page,
        not via YUI Loader. The insert() method has a second, optional argument
        that lets you tell it to load only 'js' files or 'css' files.

        Satyam

      • puff01824
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
          Thanks Satyam!

          For the moment I'm loading YUI's CSS statically (not with YUI loader)
          before my CSS. That addresses the first problem and since I generally
          need the YUI CSS on all pages is not an issue.

          The second issue is still outstanding. For the moment I'm considering
          hiding the page's body div until after YUI is available and the page
          properly initialized. Since I'm also displaying a 'loading' banner that
          should take care of most of the second issue. The part that is not
          addressed concerns tinyMCE which I'm using on some pages. It appears
          that it does some dynamic loading as well so that not all the tinyMCE JS
          is in hand even after YUI loader reports success. It looks like I'll
          have to sort through how to tell when tinyMCE is ready to completely
          solve the bogus page layout issue.

          Regards,
          puff

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 4, 2009
            Did you try YUI's Rich Text Editor? It will spare you the trouble of
            dealing with two different libraries.

            Satyam

          • puff01824
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 8, 2009
              Satyam,

              I did look at the YUI offering. While it's OK for relatively simple
              things, it did not appear to offer as much functionality as tinyMCE,
              particularly WRT tables and templates.
              Since I'm offering wiki support and would like to have a WYSIWYG editor
              I've been using tinyMCE.

              I did manage to sort through the load issues as tinyMCE provides a
              callback function. The only issue remaining in that area is a brief
              delay between when all the JS loads and the display is actually updated.
              That seems to be an issue with the browser and machine performance so
              there doesn't appear to be much that can be done about it.

              Thanks again for all your help and advice.