Customizing the First Row

  • jonathanx37
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 2, 2009
      I would like to customize the first row with my own data.

      Basically, datasource retrieves the info remotely, I would like to use
      doBeforeCallback or doBeforeParseData to insert a row at index 0.

      How should I go about it?
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 2, 2009
        It might be easier if you listen to initEvent and use addRow to insert
        the row wherever you want it.

        myDataTable.on('initEvent',function() {
        this.addRow({ /* object containing initial values for each field */
        },0);
        });

        Satyam

        jonathanx37 wrote:
        > I would like to customize the first row with my own data.
        >
        > Basically, datasource retrieves the info remotely, I would like to use
        > doBeforeCallback or doBeforeParseData to insert a row at index 0.
        >
        > How should I go about it?

      • jonathanx37
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 2, 2009
          I don't think this will work through server side pagination when I
          click for next results.

          What would be the pseudo-code for going about it in the method i
          mentioned above in a doBeforeCallBack fashion?

          > It might be easier if you listen to initEvent and use addRow to insert
          > the row wherever you want it.
          >
          > myDataTable.on('initEvent',function() {
          > this.addRow({ /* object containing initial values for each field */
          > },0);
          > });
          >
          > Satyam
          >

          > jonathanx37 wrote:
          > > I would like to customize the first row with my own data.
          > >
          > > Basically, datasource retrieves the info remotely, I would like to use
          > > doBeforeCallback or doBeforeParseData to insert a row at index 0.
          > >
          > > How should I go about it?

          01/31/09 20:03:00

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 2, 2009
            The built-in doBeforeCallback simply returns its third argument
            untouched. That argument is an object containing, hopefully, a
            'results' property which will have an array of objects with your data,
            otherwise it will have an 'error' property. You can freely change the
            'results' array, adding records, if you want, or modifying them in any
            way you want. Whatever you return will be what the DataTable gets.

            I am not sure how you would have to manipulate the meta-data, specially
            the number of records received and the total number of records. You
            would also need to ask the server for one record less so that you can
            add your own to its response and still make the right number. I'm not
            that good with the paginator as to suggest you an alternative (if you
            had mentioned you were using the paginator, I wouldn't have replied),
            but it seems to me that going all the way to the DataSource is a little
            too much. I would try to investigate alternatives at the DataTable
            level, checking other events that might trigger when you change pages
            and adding a row then. renderEvent triggers for any refresh of the UI,
            including sorting per column, which might be too much. dataReturnEvent
            might also serve.

            Satyam

            jonathanx37 wrote:
            > I don't think this will work through server side pagination when I
            > click for next results.
            >
            > What would be the pseudo-code for going about it in the method i
            > mentioned above in a doBeforeCallBack fashion?

            >> It might be easier if you listen to initEvent and use addRow to insert
            >> the row wherever you want it.
            >>
            >> myDataTable.on('initEvent',function() {
            >> this.addRow({ /* object containing initial values for each field */
            >> },0);
            >> });
            >>
            >> Satyam
            >>

            >> jonathanx37 wrote:
            >>
            >>> I would like to customize the first row with my own data.
            >>>
            >>> Basically, datasource retrieves the info remotely, I would like to use
            >>> doBeforeCallback or doBeforeParseData to insert a row at index 0.
            >>>
            >>> How should I go about it?

            > 01/31/09 20:03:00

          • jonathanx37
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 3, 2009
              I see.

              how would you go about having to disable all rows inline cell editing
              and only allow the first one to have inline cell editing?

              > The built-in doBeforeCallback simply returns its third argument
              > untouched. That argument is an object containing, hopefully, a
              > 'results' property which will have an array of objects with your data,
              > otherwise it will have an 'error' property. You can freely change the
              > 'results' array, adding records, if you want, or modifying them in any
              > way you want. Whatever you return will be what the DataTable gets.
              >
              > I am not sure how you would have to manipulate the meta-data, specially
              > the number of records received and the total number of records. You
              > would also need to ask the server for one record less so that you can
              > add your own to its response and still make the right number. I'm not
              > that good with the paginator as to suggest you an alternative (if you
              > had mentioned you were using the paginator, I wouldn't have replied),
              > but it seems to me that going all the way to the DataSource is a little
              > too much. I would try to investigate alternatives at the DataTable
              > level, checking other events that might trigger when you change pages
              > and adding a row then. renderEvent triggers for any refresh of the UI,
              > including sorting per column, which might be too much. dataReturnEvent
              > might also serve.
              >
              > Satyam
              >

              > jonathanx37 wrote:
              > > I don't think this will work through server side pagination when I
              > > click for next results.
              > >
              > > What would be the pseudo-code for going about it in the method i
              > > mentioned above in a doBeforeCallBack fashion?
              > >
              > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Satyam <satyam@> wrote:
              > >
              > >> It might be easier if you listen to initEvent and use addRow to
              insert
              > >> the row wherever you want it.
              > >>
              > >> myDataTable.on('initEvent',function() {
              > >> this.addRow({ /* object containing initial values for each
              field */
              > >> },0);
              > >> });
              > >>
              > >> Satyam

              > > 01/31/09 20:03:00

              01/31/09 20:03:00

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 4, 2009
                To enable editing you have to attach the method that triggers the editor
                to some event, such as:

                myDataTable.on('clickEvent',myDataTable.onEventShowCellEditor);

                Instead of plugging it straight through, you might do it conditionally:

                myDataTable.on('clickEvent',function(oArgs) {
                if (whatever) {
                this.onEventShowCellEditor(oArgs);
                }
                });

                Satyam

              • jonathanx37
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 4, 2009
                  ok would it be possible to call an event to add a row
                  like you suggested 'initEvent' but at a moment after the paginator is
                  called?

                  I tried adding a row with doBeforeCallBack except im having too many
                  problems with server-side pagination.

                  I'm looking for a simpler method. Is their anything available for this?

                  > To enable editing you have to attach the method that triggers the
                  editor
                  > to some event, such as:
                  >
                  > myDataTable.on('clickEvent',myDataTable.onEventShowCellEditor);
                  >
                  > Instead of plugging it straight through, you might do it conditionally:
                  >
                  > myDataTable.on('clickEvent',function(oArgs) {
                  > if (whatever) {
                  > this.onEventShowCellEditor(oArgs);
                  > }
                  > });
                  >
                  > Satyam
                  >

                  > jonathanx37 wrote:
                  > > I see.
                  > >
                  > > how would you go about having to disable all rows inline cell editing
                  > > and only allow the first one to have inline cell editing?
                  > >

                  > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Satyam <satyam@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> The built-in doBeforeCallback simply returns its third argument
                  > >> untouched. That argument is an object containing, hopefully, a
                  > >> 'results' property which will have an array of objects with your
                  data,
                  > >> otherwise it will have an 'error' property. You can freely
                  change the
                  > >> 'results' array, adding records, if you want, or modifying them
                  in any
                  > >> way you want. Whatever you return will be what the DataTable gets.
                  > >>
                  > >> I am not sure how you would have to manipulate the meta-data,
                  specially
                  > >> the number of records received and the total number of records. You
                  > >> would also need to ask the server for one record less so that you
                  can
                  > >> add your own to its response and still make the right number.
                  I'm not
                  > >> that good with the paginator as to suggest you an alternative (if
                  you
                  > >> had mentioned you were using the paginator, I wouldn't have
                  replied),
                  > >> but it seems to me that going all the way to the DataSource is a
                  little
                  > >> too much. I would try to investigate alternatives at the DataTable
                  > >> level, checking other events that might trigger when you change
                  pages
                  > >> and adding a row then. renderEvent triggers for any refresh of
                  the UI,
                  > >> including sorting per column, which might be too much.
                  dataReturnEvent
                  > >> might also serve.
                  > >>
                  > >> Satyam

                  > > insert

                  > > field */

                  > > to use

                  > > 01/31/09 20:03:00

                  02/02/09 07:51:00

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 4, 2009
                    I don't know the sequence of events when the DataTable is paginated.
                    You should put alerts or calls to the logger in each and try out which
                    of them works out for you.

                    Satyam

                  • jonathanx37
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 5, 2009
                      Would their be a way to add data to the datatable after it
                      initializes? Not on an init or a datareturn but something like an
                      after return if that even exist?

                      this way i can insert a row without interfering with the paginator.

                      so it can show 1 blank record and 3 records instead of 1 blank record
                      and 2 records (as its doing now)

                      > I don't know the sequence of events when the DataTable is paginated.
                      > You should put alerts or calls to the logger in each and try out which
                      > of them works out for you.
                      >
                      > Satyam
                      >
                      > jonathanx37 wrote:
                      > > ok would it be possible to call an event to add a row
                      > > like you suggested 'initEvent' but at a moment after the paginator is
                      > > called?
                      > >
                      > > I tried adding a row with doBeforeCallBack except im having too many
                      > > problems with server-side pagination.
                      > >
                      > > I'm looking for a simpler method. Is their anything available for
                      this?

                      > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Satyam <satyam@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > >> To enable editing you have to attach the method that triggers the
                      > >>
                      > > editor
                      > >
                      > >> to some event, such as:
                      > >>
                      > >> myDataTable.on('clickEvent',myDataTable.onEventShowCellEditor);
                      > >>
                      > >> Instead of plugging it straight through, you might do it
                      conditionally:

                      > >> myDataTable.on('clickEvent',function(oArgs) {
                      > >> if (whatever) {
                      > >> this.onEventShowCellEditor(oArgs);
                      > >> }
                      > >> });