Re: Dialog: Submit vs Upload and Hitting Enter

  • kfish_22
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2009
      Here's a piece of code to define a special behavior for the <Enter>
      key - or any key for that matter, as long as you write a handler for
      the key's numeric code.

      >>> Begin snippet

      nn=(document.layers)?true:false;
      ie=(document.all)?true:false;
      function keyDown(e) {
      var evt=(e)?e:(window.event)?window.event:null;
      if(evt){
      var key=(evt.charCode)?evt.charCode:((evt.keyCode)?
      evt.keyCode:((evt.which)?evt.which:0));
      // Enter key = 13
      if(key==13){
      // Do you own processing for the Enter key.
      myCustomFunction();
      // Return false to prevent the default browser behavior
      return false;
      document.onkeydown=keyDown;
      if(nn) document.captureEvents(Event.KEYDOWN);

      <<< End Snippet

      Cheers,
      Kevin

      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Hans Zaunere" <lists@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > It appears that there is different behavior between pressing enter
      and
      > clicking submit for a Dialog based form. It's most notable when
      there's a
      > file input.
      >
      > For example, when a user actually clicks Submit, both the success
      and upload
      > callbacks are called. When a user simple hits enter, only the
      upload
      > callback is called.
      >
      > Is there a way to change this behavior so that it's more reliable.
      Or at a
      > minimum a way to know if the success callback has fired, so that
      code in
      > both places isn't executed twice.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > ---
      > Hans Zaunere / Managing Member / New York PHP
      > www.nyphp.org / www.nyphp.com

    • Satyen Desai
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2009
        Hi Hans,

        I don't see the behavior you refer to with the following example, which has a file input field, a text input field, a native HTML submit button and a YUI button labeled "Submit", which invokes Dialog's submit method:

        http://yuiblog.com/sandbox/yui/v260/examples/container/dlgUpload.html

        Hitting enter when the text input field has focus (which will result in a form submission on most browsers, for forms containing only 1 text input field), invokes the Upload callback handler. Clicking the native submit button, or the Dialog's submit button do the same.

        Dialog has code which will listen for anything causing a native form submission (such as hitting enter, or clicking a native HTML submit button) and route the form submission through it's configured postmethod (async XHR submission in the above case).

        If you can post a test page, we can take a look at it.

        Regards,
        Satyen