Re: Crazyness = "Permission denied to get property HTMLDivElement.nodeType"

  • puff01824
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 31, 2009
      Adam/Satyam,

      I followed Adam's suggestion and created a new FF profile this time
      using firebug 1.3. The problem no longer occurs. I've also tested on
      3 other machines with various versions of FF with and without firebug
      and am not able to recreate the problem. That said, when I use the
      original FF profile the problem does routinely occur.

      As a point of interest, it is possible on any of the systems I used to
      confuse the datatable highlighting. I'm guessing that this is an
      issue with to many or dropped events. Given what I was doing to
      create it, I wouldn't consider it a problem.

      I'd like to thank you both very much for your assistance as I've spent
      three rather trying days dealing with this issue. However, I am
      curious as to the underlying cause. While I'm new to YUI and firebug
      I've been at software for a very long time (first computer I ever
      programed was an IBM 1648 - arithmetic via table lookup 46 years ago)
      and among the very painful lessons I've learned over the years is that
      making the symptom go away does NOT make the problem solved! Is the
      issue with firebug, firefox, yui, or where? I am somewhat troubled
      that firebug reliably reports nodeType as 'undefined' when the problem
      occurs.

      Thanks again for your help.

      Regards,
      puff

      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "puff01824" <rbell01824@...> wrote:

      > Adam,
      >
      > Thanks, I'll try that in the mourning.
      >
      > In terms of creating the problem, it is necessary to move the mouse at
      > VERY high speed across the data table. It may also help if the
      > workstation is somewhat slow as this appears to be timing related. I
      > think it depends on the mouse coordinates being significantly away from
      > the datatable row and on an element WITHOUT a nodeType property. When I
      > encounter the problem both on my local server and on the page served by
      > appserv the node never has a nodeType property (it is 'undefined').
      >
      > That said, I'll try creating a new profile tomorrow morning and see if
      > there are any changes in behavior.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Puff
      >
      > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Adam Moore <adamoore@> wrote:
      > >
      > > On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 11:20:35PM -0000, puff01824 wrote:
      > > > Satyam,
      > > >
      > > > An important new observation! The problem can be easily recreated
      > by
      > > > quickly moving the mouse diagonally across the datatable! A bit of
      > > > rapid mouse motion through the datatable is all it seems to take.
      > The
      > > > error I get in firebug (1.4X.0a12) is "Permissoin denied to...
      > > > XULElement.nodeType" on event-debug.js line 1364.
      > >
      > > I am using FireFox 3.0.5 and FireBug 1.3 and can't get this error to
      > > happen. I would try creating a fresh profile in FireFox, which
      > > sometimes can clean up corrupt configuration properties that can cause
      > > this type of problem.
      > >
      > > -Adam
      > >
      > > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "puff01824" rbell01824@

      > verified
      > > > that
      > of 8
      > described
      > > > in

      > icon
      > you've
      > (it
      > .

      > YUI.
      > more
      > and

      > very
      > One,
      > thought
      > > > it
      > issue.

      > beginning

      > catch(e)
      > > > {

      > to...LDivElement.nodeType

      > here's

      > not

      resolveTextNode()<getRelatedTarget()<onEventUnh...lightRow()<fire()<fire\

    • puff01824
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 31, 2009

        As an interesting post script I found this  concerning jQuery. It references an interesting note here .  Perhaps this is related.
      • puff01824
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 31, 2009
          A last bit of research leads to http://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/detail?id=986&q=Permission%20denied .  This seems to suggest that it's a bug in firebug blocked by a bug in firefox.  I did note along the way that even in my original profile, disabling firebug removes the symptom.  Why getting a new profile helps is a bit of a mystery but there is doubtless something within firebug that gets reset.

          All that being said, the code "n && 3 == n.nodeType" is of the sort mentioned in the previous two references and I'm inclined to agree with Edwards' remarks.

          Thanks again for your interest and help.