Re: Crazyness = "Permission denied to get property HTMLDivElement.nodeType"

  • puff01824
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 30, 2009
      Satyam,

      Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

      The current code is at http://code.google.com/p/appspot-geowiki/. The
      application is somewhat complex using Google appserver, Google maps, and
      YUI. The symptom occurs when trying to edit a page. The relevant
      files are base.html, basemaphtml, wikiedit.html, gwmap.js, and
      gwmapedit.js.

      Briefly a datatable is created by the onload chain. A row is created by
      clicking idPlacemarkBTN (wikiedit.html). The onClick process
      (GWME.newPlaceMarker (line 90 in gwmapedit.js) creates a new place
      marker feature (line 177 gwmap.js). During feature creation a table
      row is added (line 227 gwmap.js). All this code seems to work well and
      as expected.

      The issue occurs when a datatable row is clicked (the datatable is setup
      by GWM.init line 21 gwmap.js). This causes GWME.editFeature (line 315
      gwmapedit.js) to run via the rowClickEvent. GWME.editFeature
      initializes the dialog form fields and shows the dialog.

      This is were I think things are going wrong. Here's what I'm guessing
      is happening. When the dialog is shown this causes the cursor to exit
      the datatable. Most of the time the datatable onMouseoutEvent fires and
      does the onEventUnhighlightRow (line 40 gwmap.js) properly. But
      sometimes there is a race with the net result that the mouse is in a
      textarea field associated with the dialog with the end result being that
      resolveTextNode tries to resolve a nonexistent div node. My previous
      note describes what I think is going on is somewhat more detail

      I'm trying to get an executable load at appserver but with the debug YUI
      js files there is a timing initialization problem. As soon as I've got
      a workaroung/fix I'll upload code that can be executed there.

      As to the issue, I'm fairly certain it's a bug in YUI not in my code but
      as you note I am new to YUI so one never knows.

      Thanks again for your prompt response.

      Regards,
      puff

      > Can you show us your code? YUI has been in use for quite some time
      > right now and it is not prone to show random errors, the first place
      > look at would be your own code since, by your own admission you are
      new
      > to YUI and JavaScript. In the Script tab of the debugger, in the bar
      > right above the tab, you will see a series of links that let you go up
      > the callstack. Start going up until you find a piece of code you
      > recognize as your own. That can give you an idea of the whereabouts
      of
      > your error.
      >
      > Satyam

    • puff01824
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 30, 2009
        Satyam,

        I've got usable source running at http://great-loop.appspot.com/wikiedit/TestPage .  You'll need a gmail account (free and remarkably useful) to login.  I've verified that the problem DOES occur there but it is rather intermittent (1 out of 8 in my attempts).  The symptoms and course of events are as described in my previous notes.  Briefly here's how to make it happen:
        • Add a number of markers by clicking on the google marker icon (second from left in the Page Markers YUI panel).
        • In the features table click on one of the marker features you've just added.  If the problem doesn't manifest you can Set or Cancel (it doesn't matter).

        Once again, I appreciate your help as I'm still relatively new to YUI.  If this is a bug I'll be glad to submit a bug report or others more skilled than I can do so.  If it's not, I'll be rather embarased and thankful for someone helping me with the error.

        Regards,
        puff

        PS. In order to get the site working on appserv I hacked in some very rough logic to deal with script load order and related matters.  One, unfortunate, side effect is that things are SLOW to load.  I thought it better to load the YUI debug scripts given the nature of the issue.

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "puff01824" <rbell01824@...> wrote:

        > This problem continues to occur from time to time and I'm beginning to
        > suspect that there is a bug in YUI or perhaps FF. I've upgraded firebug
        > to 1.4x.0a12 and am now using the raw versions of YUI to allow
        > debugging. When the problem occurs here's the relevant code in
        > event-debug.js where execution stops:
        >

        > 1362 resolveTextNode: function(n) {1363 try {1364
        > if (n && 3 == n.nodeType) {1365 return
        > n.parentNode;1366 }1367 } catch(e) {
        > }13681369 return n;1370 },
        >
        > It gives this error: Permission denied to...LDivElement.nodeType
        >
        > I'm still new to javascript and YUI (but not programming) but here's
        > some things that strike me as odd:
        >
        > * Shouldn't the catch fire on the error?
        > * Examination of the argument (n, a div.anonymous-div) does not
        > reveal a node.type property. Don't all nodes have a node type?
        > * The call chain to resolveTextNode is
        > resolveTextNode()<getRelatedTarget()<onEventUnh...lightRow()<fire()<fire\
        > Event()<_onTableMouseout()<wrappedFN(). I've got an
        > onMouseover/onMouseout highlighting for a datatable. I've also got an
        > onClick for the tables's rows. When the row is clicked, I do a
        > dialog.show to edit the data in the row. I'm guessing that what's
        > happening is that when I do a dialog.show and the mouse moves to the
        > dialog sometimes the onMouseout doesn't fire in time and when it does
        > things have changed to the point that the event that triggers
        > unhighlight doesn't work. Is this reasonable? Is it a bug?
        > Can anyone provide any insight into this behavior?
        >
        > Should it be reported as a bug?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > puff
        >

        > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "puff01824" rbell01824@
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm a bit new to YUI and have run into an issue where I frequently get
        > > a firebug error message "Permission ... ". I think this is likely a
        > > firebug/ff issue but on the off chance that it's not or someone on the
        > > group has encountered the issue I thought I'd ask. Here's what I
        > know:
        > >
        > > The error is NOT consistent. So far I've found no pattern as to when
        > > it occurs.
        > >
        > > It doesn't happen with IE.
        > >
        > > I'm running FF 3.0.5, firebug 1.3.0.
        > >
        > > I've removed all other addons from FF as there was some web content
        > > that suggested this might be an issue.
        > >
        > > Can anyone provide any insight?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Richard

      • puff01824
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 30, 2009
          Satyam,

          An important new observation! The problem can be easily recreated by
          quickly moving the mouse diagonally across the datatable! A bit of
          rapid mouse motion through the datatable is all it seems to take. The
          error I get in firebug (1.4X.0a12) is "Permissoin denied to...
          XULElement.nodeType" on event-debug.js line 1364.

          Regards,
          puff

          {

          \
          > \
          > > Event()<_onTableMouseout()<wrappedFN(). I've got an
          > > onMouseover/onMouseout highlighting for a datatable. I've also got
          an
          > > onClick for the tables's rows. When the row is clicked, I do a
          > > dialog.show to edit the data in the row. I'm guessing that what's
          > > happening is that when I do a dialog.show and the mouse moves to the
          > > dialog sometimes the onMouseout doesn't fire in time and when it
          does
          > > things have changed to the point that the event that triggers
          > > unhighlight doesn't work. Is this reasonable? Is it a bug?
          > > Can anyone provide any insight into this behavior?
          > >
          > > Should it be reported as a bug?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > puff
          > >

          > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "puff01824" rbell01824@
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I'm a bit new to YUI and have run into an issue where I frequently
          > get
          > > > a firebug error message "Permission ... ". I think this is likely
          > > > firebug/ff issue but on the off chance that it's not or someone on
          > the
          > > > group has encountered the issue I thought I'd ask. Here's what I
          > > know:
          > > >
          > > > The error is NOT consistent. So far I've found no pattern as to
          > when
          > > > it occurs.
          > > >
          > > > It doesn't happen with IE.
          > > >
          > > > I'm running FF 3.0.5, firebug 1.3.0.
          > > >
          > > > I've removed all other addons from FF as there was some web
          content
          > > > that suggested this might be an issue.
          > > >
          > > > Can anyone provide any insight?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks,
          > > > Richard

        • Adam Moore
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 30, 2009
            On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 11:20:35PM -0000, puff01824 wrote:
            > Satyam,
            >
            > An important new observation! The problem can be easily recreated by
            > quickly moving the mouse diagonally across the datatable! A bit of
            > rapid mouse motion through the datatable is all it seems to take. The
            > error I get in firebug (1.4X.0a12) is "Permissoin denied to...
            > XULElement.nodeType" on event-debug.js line 1364.

            I am using FireFox 3.0.5 and FireBug 1.3 and can't get this error to
            happen. I would try creating a fresh profile in FireFox, which
            sometimes can clean up corrupt configuration properties that can cause
            this type of problem.

            -Adam

          • puff01824
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 30, 2009
              Adam,

              Thanks, I'll try that in the mourning.

              In terms of creating the problem, it is necessary to move the mouse at
              VERY high speed across the data table. It may also help if the
              workstation is somewhat slow as this appears to be timing related. I
              think it depends on the mouse coordinates being significantly away from
              the datatable row and on an element WITHOUT a nodeType property. When I
              encounter the problem both on my local server and on the page served by
              appserv the node never has a nodeType property (it is 'undefined').

              That said, I'll try creating a new profile tomorrow morning and see if
              there are any changes in behavior.

              Regards,
              Puff

              --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Adam Moore <adamoore@...> wrote:

> [...]
              .

              > > > Once again, I appreciate your help as I'm still relatively new to
              YUI.
              > > > If this is a bug I'll be glad to submit a bug report or others
              more
              > > > skilled than I can do so. If it's not, I'll be rather embarased
              and
              > > > thankful for someone helping me with the error.
              > > >
              > > > Regards,
              > > > puff
              > > >
              > > > PS. In order to get the site working on appserv I hacked in some
              very
              > > > rough logic to deal with script load order and related matters.
              One,
              > > > unfortunate, side effect is that things are SLOW to load. I
              thought
              > > it
              > > > better to load the YUI debug scripts given the nature of the

              catch(e)
              > > {

              resolveTextNode()<getRelatedTarget()<onEventUnh...lightRow()<fire()<fire\
              \
              > > \
              > > > \
              > > an
              > > does

              > > > get
              > > > the

              > > > when

              > > content

              > --

            • puff01824
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 31, 2009
                Adam/Satyam,

                I followed Adam's suggestion and created a new FF profile this time
                using firebug 1.3. The problem no longer occurs. I've also tested on
                3 other machines with various versions of FF with and without firebug
                and am not able to recreate the problem. That said, when I use the
                original FF profile the problem does routinely occur.

                As a point of interest, it is possible on any of the systems I used to
                confuse the datatable highlighting. I'm guessing that this is an
                issue with to many or dropped events. Given what I was doing to
                create it, I wouldn't consider it a problem.

                I'd like to thank you both very much for your assistance as I've spent
                three rather trying days dealing with this issue. However, I am
                curious as to the underlying cause. While I'm new to YUI and firebug
                I've been at software for a very long time (first computer I ever
                programed was an IBM 1648 - arithmetic via table lookup 46 years ago)
                and among the very painful lessons I've learned over the years is that
                making the symptom go away does NOT make the problem solved! Is the
                issue with firebug, firefox, yui, or where? I am somewhat troubled
                that firebug reliably reports nodeType as 'undefined' when the problem
                occurs.

                Thanks again for your help.

                Regards,
                puff

              • puff01824
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 31, 2009

                  As an interesting post script I found this  concerning jQuery. It references an interesting note here .  Perhaps this is related.
                • puff01824
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 31, 2009
                    A last bit of research leads to http://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/detail?id=986&q=Permission%20denied .  This seems to suggest that it's a bug in firebug blocked by a bug in firefox.  I did note along the way that even in my original profile, disabling firebug removes the symptom.  Why getting a new profile helps is a bit of a mystery but there is doubtless something within firebug that gets reset.

                    All that being said, the code "n && 3 == n.nodeType" is of the sort mentioned in the previous two references and I'm inclined to agree with Edwards' remarks.

                    Thanks again for your interest and help.

                    Regards,
                    puff