Re: Menu problem in IE7

  • alexhusic
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 6, 2009
      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "cjavajim" <cjavajim@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "alexhusic" <alexhusic@>
      wrote:

      > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "cjavajim" <cjavajim@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "alexhusic" <alexhusic@>

      IE7,
      > > it's
      > > out.

      > > it
      > > appreciated.

      > > > Hmm, I must have clicked on the URL when you were still working
      on
      > > it
      > > > because Firebug indicated four errors (including 'YAHOO is not
      > > > defined'). Not much I can do in that case.
      > > >

      > > Appologies for that. It should be working now, there was a wrong
      url
      > > reference in the script tag. If it is not too much to ask, could
      you
      > > look at it again?
      > >
      > > Thanks and regards
      > >
      > > Alex
      > >

      > Okay, I looked at it with Firefox 2.0.0.20 and IE6 on Win XP. What I
      > would look at is: the width of the menu needs to be wider in order
      > fully accommodate the text of the menus. Once that is resolved, I
      > suspect that both browsers will correctly render the menus. The
      issue
      > of width applies to the sub menus also (e.g., "Benefits of private
      > banking").
      >
      > Along these lines what I'm observing are:
      >
      > In Firefox, (a) the lower case letters are trespassing into the area
      > of the menu beneath it; (b) the menu text exceeds the width (e.g.,
      > "Find a financial adviser" and "Life & person insurance").
      >
      > In IE6, (a) the box of a menu with sub-menus does in fact "grow" by
      2
      > or 3 pixels at the bottom as the sub-menu is rendering; (b) the
      width
      > of the menu item separators (horizontal rules or lines) _varies_ --
      in
      > particular, the line between "Buy-to-let mortgages" and
      > "Self-certification mortgages" is noticeably longer than others.
      >
      > So fix the widths and the heights (for the lower case letters) so
      that
      > the text for each and every menu item is well _within_ the bounding
      > boxes--and then let's see what happens.

      Got it! No matter how long the text or the lines are, as soon as I
      put width and/or height into .yuimenuitem class, the items with the
      submenus start growing in IE. I solved the problem of width by
      entering it into .yuimenu class and of height by playing with the
      padding, as opposed to actually determining the height of each tab.
      Needs a bit more tweaking, but the solution has revealed itself.
      Thank you for pointing in the right direction.