When will google chrome be a grade ?

  • Craig Music
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2009
      Hello,

      I searched the group but couldn't find this answer. When is google
      chrome expected to be supported a grade ? I did not see any reference
      to this in the blog or the a-grade page.

      Thanks,
      Craig
    • Eric Miraglia
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2009
        Craig,

        Chrome will become A-Grade when, on balance, the effort to test it is in the best interests of developers who have to care both about the sanity of their testing matrix and the quality of their users' experience.

        With a marginal browser just out of beta, based on an existing A-Grade core (WebKit), the marginal value for customers in your testing Chrome is probably very small, and arguably the responsibility right now falls most heavily on Google and the Chrome team to make sure they're adequately testing their releases.  If Chome comes out for the Mac and starts to see meaningful adoption, then it makes its own case for being an A-Grade browser by being free, standards oriented, and popular among your users.  When enough of that is true, then we as developers begin sharing the responsibility to make sure that those users are having a great experience on our sites.  That's the A-Grade commitment.

        Right now, Chrome isn't quite there yet, in my opinion.  What are your thoughts?

        -Eric

        On Jan 5, 2009, at 10:57 AM, Craig Music wrote:

        Hello,

        I searched the group but couldn't find this answer. When is google
        chrome expected to be supported a grade ? I did not see any reference
        to this in the blog or the a-grade page.

        Thanks,
        Craig

      • cjavajim
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2009

          > Craig,
          >
          > Chrome will become A-Grade when, on balance, the effort to test it is
          > in the best interests of developers who have to care both about the
          > sanity of their testing matrix and the quality of their users'
          > experience.
          >
          > With a marginal browser just out of beta, based on an existing A-Grade
          > core (WebKit), the marginal value for customers in your testing Chrome
          > is probably very small, and arguably the responsibility right now
          > falls most heavily on Google and the Chrome team to make sure they're
          > adequately testing their releases. If Chome comes out for the Mac and
          > starts to see meaningful adoption, then it makes its own case for
          > being an A-Grade browser by being free, standards oriented, and
          > popular among your users. When enough of that is true, then we as
          > developers begin sharing the responsibility to make sure that those
          > users are having a great experience on our sites. That's the A-Grade
          > commitment.
          >
          > Right now, Chrome isn't quite there yet, in my opinion. What are your
          > thoughts?
          >
          > -Eric
          >

          > On Jan 5, 2009, at 10:57 AM, Craig Music wrote:
          >
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I searched the group but couldn't find this answer. When is google
          > > chrome expected to be supported a grade ? I did not see any reference
          > > to this in the blog or the a-grade page.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Craig

          Because of Craig's post, I decided to try Chrome on my YUI-based web
          app (Layout Manager + TreeView) and was able to consistently generate
          the "Aw, Snap!" message and Unhappy Folder image when attempting to
          display PDF files in the Center layout. However Chrome was able to
          open/display the PDF files if they were opened directly. Firefox 2 and
          IE6 have had no issues opening the PDF files in my web app.
        • Craig Music
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 29, 2009
            Thanks for your reply Eric, your thoughts are well received and make
            sense. As an fyi, in my case i was able to find out it was a problem
            with webkit and not just chrome since I was able to reproduce the
            problem on safari windows as well.

            Basically my pages were being 'pushed down' when:
            1) the cache was completely clean,
            2) i closed and opened a brand new browser ,
            3) and I accessed a page that had onDomReady and a modal
            simpleDialogue created onDomReady.

            I fixed the problem by using the standard window.onload instead of
            onDomReady.

            thx
            -craig

            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Eric Miraglia <miraglia@...>