datatable error handling

  • Apoorva Singh
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 30, 2008
      posting this again, apparently the experts missed this:

      sometimes the json that comes back (e.g. an empty list)
      leads to a data error in the table.

      the problem is this "data error" message screws up the table width. so
      the table is reduced to the width of "data error" message string and
      its ugly like hell.

      is there a way to customize the "Data Error" message and maintain the
      width of the table when an error happens??

      I tried changing the failureHandler of the callback but looks like its
      for something else, heres what i tried:

      var myFailureHandler = function() {
      this.showTableMessage("<div style="width:300">Nothing
      found!</div>", YAHOO.widget.DataTable.CLASS_ERROR);

      appreciate assistance..
    • jennykhan
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 31, 2008
        Hi Apoorva,

        You should explore defining custom CSS to change the width of the
        message area:

        // Recommended
        .yui-skin-sam .yui-dt-empty {width:40em;}

        // Pixel-defined widths are not a best practice
        .yui-skin-sam .yui-dt-empty {width:150px;}

        // May not be supported in all cases, please test for your
        implementation
        .yui-skin-sam .yui-dt table {width:60em;}
        .yui-skin-sam .yui-dt-empty {width:100%;}

        Hope that helps,
        Jenny

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Apoorva Singh"
        <apoorva.singh@...> wrote:

        > posting this again, apparently the experts missed this:
        >
        > sometimes the json that comes back (e.g. an empty list)
        > leads to a data error in the table.
        >
        > the problem is this "data error" message screws up the table
        width. so
        > the table is reduced to the width of "data error" message string
        and
        > its ugly like hell.
        >
        > is there a way to customize the "Data Error" message and maintain
        the
        > width of the table when an error happens??
        >
        > I tried changing the failureHandler of the callback but looks like
        its
        > for something else, heres what i tried:
        >
        > var myFailureHandler = function() {
        > this.showTableMessage("<div style="width:300">Nothing
        > found!</div>", YAHOO.widget.DataTable.CLASS_ERROR);
        >
        > appreciate assistance..

      • Apoorva Singh
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2009
          thanks a lot Jenny, that did help. an clues about customizing the
          'data error' message?

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2009
            http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/YAHOO.widget.DataTable.html#config_MSG_ERROR

            Apoorva Singh wrote:
            > thanks a lot Jenny, that did help. an clues about customizing the
            > 'data error' message?
            >
            > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jennykhan" <jennyhan@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Hi Apoorva,
            >>
            >> You should explore defining custom CSS to change the width of the
            >> message area:
            >>
            >> // Recommended
            >> .yui-skin-sam .yui-dt-empty {width:40em;}
            >>
            >> // Pixel-defined widths are not a best practice
            >> .yui-skin-sam .yui-dt-empty {width:150px;}
            >>
            >> // May not be supported in all cases, please test for your
            >> implementation
            >> .yui-skin-sam .yui-dt table {width:60em;}
            >> .yui-skin-sam .yui-dt-empty {width:100%;}
            >>
            >> Hope that helps,
            >> Jenny
            >>

            >> --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Apoorva Singh"
            >> <apoorva.singh@> wrote:
            >>
            >>> posting this again, apparently the experts missed this:
            >>>
            >>> sometimes the json that comes back (e.g. an empty list)
            >>> leads to a data error in the table.
            >>>
            >>> the problem is this "data error" message screws up the table
            >>>
            >> width. so
            >>
            >>> the table is reduced to the width of "data error" message string
            >>>
            >> and
            >>
            >>> its ugly like hell.
            >>>
            >>> is there a way to customize the "Data Error" message and maintain
            >>>
            >> the
            >>
            >>> width of the table when an error happens??
            >>>
            >>> I tried changing the failureHandler of the callback but looks like
            >>>
            >> its
            >>
            >>> for something else, heres what i tried:
            >>>
            >>> var myFailureHandler = function() {
            >>> this.showTableMessage("<div style="width:300">Nothing
            >>> found!</div>", YAHOO.widget.DataTable.CLASS_ERROR);
            >>>
            >>> appreciate assistance..

          • Apoorva Singh
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 2, 2009
              Satyam, you are the savior...
              i did try removing MSG_ERROR from the failure handler, for some weird
              reason i dint try changing...stupid of me! thanks again..

              http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/YAHOO.widget.DataTable.html#config_MSG_ERROR