RE: [ydn-javascript] Open CellEditor for cellSelectEvent

  • Avanti.Save@barclayscapital.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
      Hi

      I have tried this but seems like the editor opens for a split second and then closes automatically giving the user no time to type anything in the cell editor.

      Cheers
      Avanti

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
        Com to think about this, unless you select a cell via keyboard, you
        would select a cell by clicking on it so you want both things to happen
        at once, selecting and editing. You can do this by attaching both
        built-in listeners to the same event. Listeners can be queued on the
        same event by doing successive calls to the subscribe method. Wouldn't
        that work for you? You can also assign one action to single click (ie.:
        select) and another to double click (edit).

        Satyam

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
          This is waht i am doing. But it still has the same problem.

          this.myDataTable.subscribe("cellSelectEvent",function (oArgs)

          {

          this.showCellEditor(oArgs.el);

          },this.myDataTable,true);

          this.myDataTable.subscribe("cellClickEvent", this.myDataTable.onEventShowCellEditor);

          Avanti.Save@ barclayscapital. com wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > I have tried this but seems like the editor
          opens for a split second
          > and then closes automatically giving the user
          no time to type anything
          > in the cell editor.

          Cheers

          Avanti.Save wrote:
          > > Hi
          > >
          > > I want to be able
          to opent he cellEditor when the user selects a
          > cell. I am

          using the SelectionMode config to let the user select cells. But i
          > want
          > > be able to open the cellEditor when the user is at a selected
          cell and
          > > starts to type some characters.

          I am using

          this.myDataTable. subscribe( "cellSelectEvent ",

          this.myDataTable. clearTextSelecti on);

          this.myDataTable. subscribe( "cellSelectEvent ",

          this.myDataTable. onEventShowCellE ditor);

          this.myDataTable. subscribe( "cellClickEvent" ,

          this.myDataTable. onEventSelectCel l);

          this.myDataTable. subscribe( "cellClickEvent" ,

          this.myDataTable. onEventShowCellE ditor);

          > > but
          this.myDataTable. subscribe( "cellSelectEvent ",

          this.myDataTable. onEventShowCellE ditor); does not seem to work.

          > > Any comments?

          Thanks

          <http://www.avg. com>

          href="http://www.barcap.com/emaildisclaimer">http://www.barcap. com/emaildisclai mer>. By messaging with Barclays

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
            You shouldn't do both, who knows what might result from two consecutive
            calls to show the editor. The second one should be enough. And I see
            that you have corrected the scope, sorry I forgot about that.

            Satyam

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
              Is there anyway for me to open the celleditor by cellselect and cellclick both then?

              href="mailto:Avanti.Save%40barclayscapital.com">Avanti.Save@ barclayscapital. com
              > <mailto:Avanti. Save%40barclaysc apital.com>
              wrote:
              > > Hi
              > >
              > > I have tried this but seems
              like the editor opens for a split second
              > > and then closes
              automatically giving the user no time to type anything
              > > in the cell
              editor.

              > > Cheers
              > > Avanti

              > > *From:*
              href="mailto:ydn-javascript%40yahoogroups.com">ydn-javascript@ yahoogroups. com
              > <mailto:ydn- javascript% 40yahoogroups. com>
              > > [mailto:
              href="mailto:ydn-javascript%40yahoogroups.com">ydn-javascript@ yahoogroups. com

              message.
              href="http://www.avg.com">http://www.avg. com <http://www.avg. com>
> [...]
              > any securities, investment products or other financial
              product or
              > service, an official confirmation of any transaction, or an
              official
              > statement of Barclays. Any views or opinions presented are
              solely
              > those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of
              > Barclays. This e-mail is subject to terms available at the following
              > link: www.barcap.com/ emaildisclaimer
              > <
              href="http://www.barcap.com/emaildisclaimer">http://www.barcap. com/emaildisclai mer>. By messaging with Barclays
              > you consent to the foregoing. Barclays
              Capital is the investment
              > banking division of Barclays Bank PLC, a
              company registered in England
              > (number 1026167) with its registered
              office at 1 Churchill Place,
              > London, E14 5HP. This email may relate to

              / Virus Database: 270.9.15/1838 - Release Date: 08/12/2008 18:16

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
                I guess there would, but how is it that you mean it to work? You
                usually select a cell by clicking on it, you pop up a cell editor by
                clicking on it. Simply queue two listeners on the cellClickEvent and
                attach one to cell selection the other to cell editing. The order they
                respond to that single event might be relevant, though I don't think so,
                perhaps cell selection closes the cell editor so you might want the cell
                to be selected first and then the editor popped up. Swap them if it
                doesn't work. But queue them both on cellClickEvent.

                You can also select a cell by moving with the cursor keys, is that the
                one you want to pick as well? That would be somehow annoying since you
                might not want the editor to pop up for every cell you are just passing
                by while navigating with your arrow keys.

                Satyam

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
                  Yes actually what i want to do is to select a cell by moving with the keyboard keys. And as it moves it will open a editor for every cell. Can this be done using cellClickEvent and cellSelectEvent?

                  I guess there would, but how is it that you mean it to work? You
                  usually select a cell by clicking on it, you pop up a cell editor by
                  clicking on it. Simply queue two listeners on the cellClickEvent and
                  attach one to cell selection the other to cell editing. The order they
                  respond to that single event might be relevant, though I don't think so,
                  perhaps cell selection closes the cell editor so you might want the cell
                  to be selected first and then the editor popped up. Swap them if it
                  doesn't work. But queue them both on cellClickEvent.

                  You can also select a cell by moving with the cursor keys, is that the
                  one you want to pick as well? That would be somehow annoying since you
                  might not want the editor to pop up for every cell you are just passing
                  by while navigating with your arrow keys.

                  Satyam

                  Avanti.Save@ barclayscapital. com wrote:

                  > Is there anyway for me to open the celleditor by cellselect and
                  > cellclick both then?

                  > You shouldn't do both, who knows what might
                  result from two consecutive
                  > calls to show the editor. The second one
                  should be enough. And I see
                  > that you have corrected the scope, sorry I
                  forgot about that.

                  > Satyam

                  href="mailto:Avanti.Save%40barclayscapital.com">Avanti.Save@ barclayscapital. com
                  > <mailto:Avanti. Save%40barclaysc apital.com>
                  wrote:
                  > > This is waht i am doing. But it still has the same
                  problem.

                  this.myDataTable. subscribe( "cellSelectEvent ",function (oArgs)

                  > > {

                  this.showCellEditor (oArgs.el) ;

                  },this.myDataTable, true);

                  this.myDataTable. subscribe( "cellClickEvent" ,

                  this.myDataTable. onEventShowCellE ditor);

                  > > *From:*
                  href="mailto:ydn-javascript%40yahoogroups.com">ydn-javascript@ yahoogroups. com
                  > <mailto:ydn- javascript% 40yahoogroups. com>
                  > > [mailto:
                  href="mailto:ydn-javascript%40yahoogroups.com">ydn-javascript@ yahoogroups. com

                  double click (edit).

                  > > Satyam

                  Avanti.Save@ barclayscapital. com
                  > <mailto:Avanti. Save%40barclaysc apital.com>

                  <mailto:Avanti. Save%40barclaysc apital.com> wrote:
                  > > > Hi
                  > > >
                  > > > I have tried this but seems like the
                  editor opens for a split second
                  > > > and then closes automatically
                  giving the user no time to type anything
                  > > > in the cell
                  editor.

                  > > > Cheers

                  Avanti

                  *To:* ydn-javascript@ yahoogroups. com
                  > <mailto:ydn- javascript% 40yahoogroups. com>
                  > > <mailto:ydn- javascript% 40yahoogroups. com>
                  > > > *Subject:* Re: [ydn-javascript] Open CellEditor for cellSelectEvent
                  > > >
                  > > > onEventShowCellEdit or does not expect the kind
                  of arguments
                  > > > cellSelectEvent provides. If you look at the
                  source for that
                  > method you
                  > > > will see that it's only
                  purpose is to translate the arguments of the
                  > > > single and double
                  click events into the arguments showCellEditor
                  > needs.

                  When you use another event to activate the editor, you need to do the
                  > > > bridge yourself:

                  this.myDataTable. subscribe( "cellSelectEvent ",function (oArgs) {
                  > > > this.showCellEditor (oArgs.el) ;

                  });

                  he cellEditor when the user selects a
                  > > > cell. I am
                  > > > want to
                  cellEditor when the user is at a selected
                  > cell and

                  this.myDataTable. subscribe( "cellSelectEvent ",

                  this.myDataTable. subscribe( "cellSelectEvent ",

                  this.myDataTable. subscribe( "cellClickEvent" ,

                  this.myDataTable. subscribe( "cellClickEvent" ,

                  this.myDataTable. subscribe( "cellSelectEvent ",

                  this incoming message.

                  Date:

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
                    To my knowledge, you are then going to be the first to find out. Let us
                    know how it goes. If you want to have a spreadsheet type of behavior
                    then check the archives because someone was already trying that. I
                    wouldn't bet on tying the cell selection functionality to the cell
                    editor. Search the archives.

                    Satyam