Re: IDE recommendations for YUI, Ajax, PHP, MySQL project?

  • alexfstab
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 6, 2008
      I used to develop my webapps with Dreamweaver. And can say that it's
      great for developing PHP-MySql websites. It has tons of helpful (and
      not helpful) extensions, for example Developer Toolbox and even has
      inbuilt AJAX lib – Spry (and accordingly there are features which
      accelerate AJAX development if Spry is ok for you).
      But I needed YUI and secondly - a tool to debug scripts, especially JS.
      Another complication is that currently I'm using comparatively low-end
      PC - a netbook MSI-Wind with 2 Gb ram...
      So I spent few days playing with various IDEs (actually most of them
      were listed in the topic).
      My conclusion is that all Eclipse based IDEs is still buggy when
      coding JS (I tried Aptana, PDT, myEclipse and clean Eclipse with
      various mods). Same for Komodo.
      None of them gave me working as intended auto-completition feature for
      YUI.
      I've ended up with PHPed. It's great for highlighting and can natively
      debugs PHP. Also sometimes it helps to catch a JavaScript error.
      Just as Dreamweaver PHPed is stable. And fast even on my laptop.
      Couple of Firefox extensions which I use daily: Firebug, Webdeveloper,
      HttpFox.
      But frankly still I cannot say that found a solution which increases a
      lot my development process. Actually a lot of features that could help
      JS development are still missing (or not working properly) in all of
      them. So I'm still interested in getting a better one.