Re: {Disarmed} [ydn-javascript] gears or yui?

  • Marco Mariani
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1 1:32 AM
      Kelvin wrote:

      > sad, but true... i'm only just at the tip of the iceberg and don't
      > know enough to even form an educated question! :)

      The answer is: YUI and Gears have nothing to do with each other, they
      have a different goal and different feature set, you can have both pets
      but they won't breed because they are of two different species :)

      If your confusion comes from the article you pointed to, it's talking
      about BrowserPlus, not YUI.

      And now a question for you: what kind of tool do you need?
    • Michael Hasenstein
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1 3:54 AM
        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Kelvin <kelvin.internet@...> wrote:

        > duh... ok... so gears is a plugin...
        >
        > so how about this question then... how does YUI rate compared to
        what is out
        > there in its category?
        >
        > thanks and ya... i'm just learning my way around the web again -
        VERY RUSTY!
        > to say the least... !!
        > Kelvin

        To briefly summarize my opinion and what others write in response to
        similar questions, here's my recommendation:
        - JQuery for (small) in-page stuff and maybe small apps.
        - YUI for "real" apps. "real" means "real applications", like those
        you'd write in C++ for the desktop.
        - Ignore everything else. Maybe GWT deserves a look because of its
        different concept, and ExtJS (but I only looked at the demos and
        haven't tried actually programming it, and looking at higher level
        issues (like maintenance - their code as well as yours based on it).

        How I decided when I was in your situation: I found Douglas
        Crockford's videos (http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/theater/) and
        decided that I didn't even need to look at YUI itself - if that guy's
        Yahoo's chief JS architect I'd use whatever Yahoo would have come up
        with. I trust people more than technology :-) (the latter changes -
        depending on what their creators do) I have not been disappointed, and
        looking at YUI 3 there are some very interesting designs for solving
        real-world app writing - and deployment! - problems.

        For me, the core part of the decision is the underlying coding
        philosophy, not the widgets.