Re: gears or yui?

  • Kelvin
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
      duh... ok... so gears is a plugin...

      so how about this question then... how does YUI rate compared to what is out there in its category?

      thanks and ya... i'm just learning my way around the web again - VERY RUSTY! to say the least... !!
      Kelvin

      On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 11:56 PM, Kelvin <kelvin.internet@...> wrote:
      I just recently found out about google gears (i thot GWT was google's answer to yahoo's yui when i first looked into this aspect of web tech).  so, ok, it's no longer "google gears" but just gears now.  I'm a little confused about the tech available for web dev and frontend tool tech options to choose from.

      i read this article:
      http://developer.yahoo.net/blog/archives/2008/07/gears_vs_browserplus.html

      and was left scratching my head when Yahoo!'s own developer was talking about GEARS instead of using/working with YUI.

      isn't YUI the direct competitor to Gears?

      anyway, i was hoping the group could help me better sort out and understand the tech options i have available to choose from.  I'm looking to see what tech i should move forward in for our project and would like to know the benefits/disadvantages of choosing to work with one tech over another (i.e., yui vs. gears)....OR is that not the question of tool to consider?  I'm hoping to get more involved with tech that can help our webapp have the flexibility of working like a desktop app... i've seen some amazing things that can be done with web2.0's tech (in the form of ajax powered sites)...

      i guess my question is: has anyone had any experience in gears AND yui?  and with that experience, is there one that's better than the other...or one that is more fit for a specific goal than another?

      sad, but true... i'm only just at the tip of the iceberg and don't know enough to even form an educated question! :)

      so gears or yui?

      thank you so much for reading my ramblings... and for your feedback in advance!
      -Kelvin

    • Marco Mariani
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
        Kelvin wrote:

        > sad, but true... i'm only just at the tip of the iceberg and don't
        > know enough to even form an educated question! :)

        The answer is: YUI and Gears have nothing to do with each other, they
        have a different goal and different feature set, you can have both pets
        but they won't breed because they are of two different species :)

        If your confusion comes from the article you pointed to, it's talking
        about BrowserPlus, not YUI.

        And now a question for you: what kind of tool do you need?
      • Michael Hasenstein
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Kelvin <kelvin.internet@...> wrote:

          > duh... ok... so gears is a plugin...
          >
          > so how about this question then... how does YUI rate compared to
          what is out
          > there in its category?
          >
          > thanks and ya... i'm just learning my way around the web again -
          VERY RUSTY!
          > to say the least... !!
          > Kelvin

          To briefly summarize my opinion and what others write in response to
          similar questions, here's my recommendation:
          - JQuery for (small) in-page stuff and maybe small apps.
          - YUI for "real" apps. "real" means "real applications", like those
          you'd write in C++ for the desktop.
          - Ignore everything else. Maybe GWT deserves a look because of its
          different concept, and ExtJS (but I only looked at the demos and
          haven't tried actually programming it, and looking at higher level
          issues (like maintenance - their code as well as yours based on it).

          How I decided when I was in your situation: I found Douglas
          Crockford's videos (http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/theater/) and
          decided that I didn't even need to look at YUI itself - if that guy's
          Yahoo's chief JS architect I'd use whatever Yahoo would have come up
          with. I trust people more than technology :-) (the latter changes -
          depending on what their creators do) I have not been disappointed, and
          looking at YUI 3 there are some very interesting designs for solving
          real-world app writing - and deployment! - problems.

          For me, the core part of the decision is the underlying coding
          philosophy, not the widgets.