gears or yui?

  • Kelvin
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2008
      I just recently found out about google gears (i thot GWT was google's answer to yahoo's yui when i first looked into this aspect of web tech).  so, ok, it's no longer "google gears" but just gears now.  I'm a little confused about the tech available for web dev and frontend tool tech options to choose from.

      i read this article:
      http://developer.yahoo.net/blog/archives/2008/07/gears_vs_browserplus.html

      and was left scratching my head when Yahoo!'s own developer was talking about GEARS instead of using/working with YUI.

      isn't YUI the direct competitor to Gears?

      anyway, i was hoping the group could help me better sort out and understand the tech options i have available to choose from.  I'm looking to see what tech i should move forward in for our project and would like to know the benefits/disadvantages of choosing to work with one tech over another (i.e., yui vs. gears)....OR is that not the question of tool to consider?  I'm hoping to get more involved with tech that can help our webapp have the flexibility of working like a desktop app... i've seen some amazing things that can be done with web2.0's tech (in the form of ajax powered sites)...

      i guess my question is: has anyone had any experience in gears AND yui?  and with that experience, is there one that's better than the other...or one that is more fit for a specific goal than another?

      sad, but true... i'm only just at the tip of the iceberg and don't know enough to even form an educated question! :)

      so gears or yui?

      thank you so much for reading my ramblings... and for your feedback in advance!
      -Kelvin
    • Kelvin
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
        duh... ok... so gears is a plugin...

        so how about this question then... how does YUI rate compared to what is out there in its category?

        thanks and ya... i'm just learning my way around the web again - VERY RUSTY! to say the least... !!
        Kelvin

        On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 11:56 PM, Kelvin <kelvin.internet@...> wrote:
[...]

      • Marco Mariani
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
          Kelvin wrote:

          > sad, but true... i'm only just at the tip of the iceberg and don't
          > know enough to even form an educated question! :)

          The answer is: YUI and Gears have nothing to do with each other, they
          have a different goal and different feature set, you can have both pets
          but they won't breed because they are of two different species :)

          If your confusion comes from the article you pointed to, it's talking
          about BrowserPlus, not YUI.

          And now a question for you: what kind of tool do you need?
        • Michael Hasenstein
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2008
            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Kelvin <kelvin.internet@...> wrote:

            > duh... ok... so gears is a plugin...
            >
            > so how about this question then... how does YUI rate compared to
            what is out
            > there in its category?
            >
            > thanks and ya... i'm just learning my way around the web again -
            VERY RUSTY!
            > to say the least... !!
            > Kelvin

            To briefly summarize my opinion and what others write in response to
            similar questions, here's my recommendation:
            - JQuery for (small) in-page stuff and maybe small apps.
            - YUI for "real" apps. "real" means "real applications", like those
            you'd write in C++ for the desktop.
            - Ignore everything else. Maybe GWT deserves a look because of its
            different concept, and ExtJS (but I only looked at the demos and
            haven't tried actually programming it, and looking at higher level
            issues (like maintenance - their code as well as yours based on it).

            How I decided when I was in your situation: I found Douglas
            Crockford's videos (http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/theater/) and
            decided that I didn't even need to look at YUI itself - if that guy's
            Yahoo's chief JS architect I'd use whatever Yahoo would have come up
            with. I trust people more than technology :-) (the latter changes -
            depending on what their creators do) I have not been disappointed, and
            looking at YUI 3 there are some very interesting designs for solving
            real-world app writing - and deployment! - problems.

            For me, the core part of the decision is the underlying coding
            philosophy, not the widgets.