Dynamic Treeview from/to Remote Site via XHR

  • Caxton
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2008
      Dear all:

      It is convenient to use Treeview and load data via XHR(YUI Connection
      Management) dynamically.

      However, I have no idea how to save change of Treeview.

      For example, how to save new label of the node when using inline
      editing of Treeview?

      In addition, when Treeview combine with Drag and Drop, how to save the new
      order of the Treeview?

      For example 1, I think the key is detecting user press tick button.
      For example 2, I am not sure, but maybe it is possible to construct
      Treeview structure and translate it into XML or JSON format.

      Please give me a hand, thanks.

      Best Regards,

      Caxton
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2008
        Starting with 2.6, TreeView has method getTreeDefintion which produces
        an object which can be serialized via the JSON utility to be stored
        wherever. The object literal produced should reflect the state of the
        tree. This same object can be provided as the second argument to the
        TreeView constructor and the same tree will be created.

        In the example at:

        http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/treeview/tv-markup.html

        the second is made from the definition of the first. The third tree is
        made of the definition of a branch.

        Satyam

        Caxton wrote:
        > Dear all:
        >
        > It is convenient to use Treeview and load data via XHR(YUI Connection
        > Management) dynamically.
        >
        > However, I have no idea how to save change of Treeview.
        >
        > For example, how to save new label of the node when using inline
        > editing of Treeview?
        >
        > In addition, when Treeview combine with Drag and Drop, how to save the new
        > order of the Treeview?
        >
        > For example 1, I think the key is detecting user press tick button.
        > For example 2, I am not sure, but maybe it is possible to construct
        > Treeview structure and translate it into XML or JSON format.
        >
        > Please give me a hand, thanks.
        >
        > Best Regards,
        >
        > Caxton

      • Caxton
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2008
          Dear Satyam:

          How to serialize the object via JSON utility?
          I can not find example in JSON Utility page.
          Thanks for reply!

          best regards,

          Caxton

          > Starting with 2.6, TreeView has method getTreeDefintion which produces
          > an object which can be serialized via the JSON utility to be stored
          > wherever. The object literal produced should reflect the state of the
          > tree. This same object can be provided as the second argument to the
          > TreeView constructor and the same tree will be created.
          >
          > In the example at:
          >
          > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/treeview/tv-markup.html
          >
          > the second is made from the definition of the first. The third tree is
          > made of the definition of a branch.
          >
          > Satyam
          >

          > Caxton wrote:
          > > Dear all:
          > >
          > > It is convenient to use Treeview and load data via XHR(YUI Connection
          > > Management) dynamically.
          > >
          > > However, I have no idea how to save change of Treeview.
          > >
          > > For example, how to save new label of the node when using inline
          > > editing of Treeview?
          > >
          > > In addition, when Treeview combine with Drag and Drop, how to save
          the new
          > > order of the Treeview?
          > >
          > > For example 1, I think the key is detecting user press tick button.
          > > For example 2, I am not sure, but maybe it is possible to construct
          > > Treeview structure and translate it into XML or JSON format.
          > >
          > > Please give me a hand, thanks.
          > >
          > > Best Regards,
          > >
          > > Caxton

          29/11/2008 18:52

        • Caxton
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2008
            Sorry, I found that JSON method stringify can turn JavaScript data
            into a JSON string.

            Thanks again.

            Caxton

            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Caxton" <ivy_ckf@...> wrote:

            > Dear Satyam:
            >
            > How to serialize the object via JSON utility?
            > I can not find example in JSON Utility page.
            > Thanks for reply!
            >
            > best regards,
            >
            > Caxton
            >
            > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Satyam <satyam@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Starting with 2.6, TreeView has method getTreeDefintion which
            produces
            > > an object which can be serialized via the JSON utility to be stored
            > > wherever. The object literal produced should reflect the state of
            the
            > > tree. This same object can be provided as the second argument to the
            > > TreeView constructor and the same tree will be created.
            > >
            > > In the example at:
            > >
            > > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/treeview/tv-markup.html
            > >
            > > the second is made from the definition of the first. The third
            tree is
            > > made of the definition of a branch.
            > >
            > > Satyam
            > >

            > > Caxton wrote:
            > > > Dear all:
            > > >
            > > > It is convenient to use Treeview and load data via XHR(YUI
            Connection
            > > > Management) dynamically.
            > > >
            > > > However, I have no idea how to save change of Treeview.
            > > >
            > > > For example, how to save new label of the node when using inline
            > > > editing of Treeview?
            > > >
            > > > In addition, when Treeview combine with Drag and Drop, how to save
            > the new
            > > > order of the Treeview?
            > > >
            > > > For example 1, I think the key is detecting user press tick button.
            > > > For example 2, I am not sure, but maybe it is possible to construct
            > > > Treeview structure and translate it into XML or JSON format.
            > > >
            > > > Please give me a hand, thanks.
            > > >
            > > > Best Regards,
            > > >
            > > > Caxton

            > 29/11/2008 18:52

          • simonjwoodman
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2008
              Hi,

              did you manage to figure out how to do example 1? I have a
              requirement to do the same thing. In my case, my treeview represents
              a file structure. I'd like to allow inline editing of the Nodes
              within a tree to rename files. Ideally, I'd like to intercept the
              user's click on the tick and only update the Treeview Node after an
              XHR call to rename the file on the server.

              Any ideas?

              I could provide a 'save changes' function that serialised the
              treeview to JSON and sent it to the server. However, then it would
              be necessary to work out what had been changed. This seems like a
              bit of a hack and not a very efficient one.

              Thanks in advance,

              Simon