Re: Parallel Downloads

  • dev.sebastian
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2008
      Nobody can help?

      Maybe someone can give me a tip which tool I can use to check it
      myself? What tool has Yahoo used?

      Regards
      sebastian
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2008

        http://developer.yahoo.com/yslow/ perhaps?

        > Regards
        > sebastian

      • Eric Miraglia
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2008
          suntrop,

          We've collected all our wisdom on this on http://developer.yahoo.com/performance .  There is no exact answer to your question...but the performance rules we've distilled provide you the framework we use in making these decisions.

          It is almost always going to be true that serving YUI files combo-handled from Yahoo's servers or individually from Google's servers will be faster than serving them from your servers, although JS files, regardless of their domain, do block.  But Google and Yahoo have extensive server infrastructures with edge hosting throughout the world.  It's unlikely that your own hosting provider can match the performance of these high end systems.

          One of the reasons to load images from a separate domain is that your images.example.com subdomain is probably uncookied; whereas your user's cookies are being transmitted with every image request on your main domain, they are not transmitted to a subdomain if you've set them up correctly.  Also, the 2x2 rule in older browsers is addressed by using this approach.

          Regards,
          Eric

          On Nov 29, 2008, at 12:47 PM, dev.sebastian wrote:

          Hi
          I came across this post
          http://yuiblog. com/blog/ 2007/04/11/ performance- research- part-4/
          and I am not sure if I am right.

          If I would load some parts of my site - like my images - from another
          domain, I can increase parallel downloads and so the time for all
          downloads falls?

          Lets say I will load my images not like "/images/file. png" but like
          "http://images. example.com/ file.png". Is it faster?
          Isn't the time looking which server/IP the domain has more "expensive"?

          In this case: I though it is faster to load the YUI! files from my
          server. But maybe it is faster to load it from Yahoo's server because
          the browser can download two css files and my scripts (from my server)
          parallel?

          suntrop

        • dev.sebastian
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2008
            Hi Eric.

            Thanks for your answer.
            I am trying to read all the wisdom but sometimes it is more specific
            why I ask here for help :-)

            exactly the opposite of what I thought. I do believe these servers are
            faster but in that amount … huhh ;)

            In the same way I am impressed that loading my images from a subdomain
            is faster.
            But I don't understand the cookie-thing. Why are a cookies sent on a
            image request? And, do the cookies form Google Analytics (on Google's
            server) count as well?

            Thanks again for these insights!

            bye
            sebastian