yui spreadsheet functionality?

  • Kelvin
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2008
      Hi gang,

      I'm new to YUI and was wondering off hand if anyone knows whether YUI can handle spreadsheet type functionality of data.

      More specifically, I'm looking to have an interface where the user can manipulate blocks of cells of data (highlight, copy, cut, paste, etc.)   here is a scenario of what i have in mind that I hope to implement as a "new way" to input data into a web page/app:

      user opens up their excel spreadsheet w/their data they want to copy...
      user copies block of data from spreadsheet...
      user goes to my datatable and PASTES the data into the datatable as a way to INPUT data into my webapp...
      user saves the datatable (aka: webapp's spreadsheet)... effectively inputting their data into the webapp..

      I would LOVE to have google functionality in my webapp, but if i can keep everything homogenous without bending backwards to include this functionality, i'd prefer to do that.  who knows...perhaps this functionality is something i'll need to utilize from google's spreadsheet api?

      anyway...thank you in advance for your feedback/help!

      hope all is having a great thanksgiving break!

      -Kelvin
    • D. Wayne Fincher
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 29, 2008
        It looks to me like you'd have to parse the excel data and convert it
        into something the datatable can use.

        It does accept a number of formats which include:

        TYPE_UNKNOWN
        TYPE_JSARRAY
        TYPE_JSON
        TYPE_XML
        TYPE_TEXT
        TYPE_HTMLTABLE

        From there, making it replicate things like adding up columns and cell
        editing would require a pretty advanced setup IMHO.

        If you go for it, I will certainly salute you for tackling a job like
        this one. ;)

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Kelvin <kelvin.internet@...> wrote:

        > Hi gang,
        >
        > I'm new to YUI and was wondering off hand if anyone knows whether
        YUI can
        > handle spreadsheet type functionality of data.
        >
        > More specifically, I'm looking to have an interface where the user can
        > manipulate blocks of cells of data (highlight, copy, cut, paste, etc.)
        > here is a scenario of what i have in mind that I hope to implement
        as a "new
        > way" to input data into a web page/app:
        >
        > user opens up their excel spreadsheet w/their data they want to copy...
        > user copies block of data from spreadsheet...
        > user goes to my datatable and PASTES the data into the datatable as
        a way to
        > INPUT data into my webapp...
        > user saves the datatable (aka: webapp's spreadsheet)... effectively
        > inputting their data into the webapp..
        >
        > I would LOVE to have google functionality in my webapp, but if i can
        keep
        > everything homogenous without bending backwards to include this
        > functionality, i'd prefer to do that. who knows...perhaps this
        > functionality is something i'll need to utilize from google's
        spreadsheet
        > api?
        >
        > anyway...thank you in advance for your feedback/help!
        >
        > hope all is having a great thanksgiving break!
        >
        > -Kelvin

      • Gaurav
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 29, 2008
          Hi I am also making a spreadsheet type application ,replicating all
          the spreadsheet func,so far I have been successfull in replicating
          almost all ,but some time back the user came up and said that they
          want to copy paste or import from excel ...so a similar situation like
          yours came up to me .. but the issue is mine is a data form type
          spreadsheet where everything has to be validated also before putting
          it there .. thinking on lines of data source to do the same .. lets
          see what else other people have to say abt this.

          cheers
          Gaurav

          wrote:

          > Hi gang,
          >
          > I'm new to YUI and was wondering off hand if anyone knows whether
          YUI can
          > handle spreadsheet type functionality of data.
          >
          > More specifically, I'm looking to have an interface where the user
          can
          > manipulate blocks of cells of data (highlight, copy, cut, paste,
          etc.)
          > here is a scenario of what i have in mind that I hope to implement
          as a "new
          > way" to input data into a web page/app:
          >
          > user opens up their excel spreadsheet w/their data they want to
          copy...
          > user copies block of data from spreadsheet...
          > user goes to my datatable and PASTES the data into the datatable as
          a way to
          > INPUT data into my webapp...
          > user saves the datatable (aka: webapp's spreadsheet)... effectively
          > inputting their data into the webapp..
          >
          > I would LOVE to have google functionality in my webapp, but if i can
          keep
          > everything homogenous without bending backwards to include this
          > functionality, i'd prefer to do that. who knows...perhaps this
          > functionality is something i'll need to utilize from google's
          spreadsheet
          > api?
          >
          > anyway...thank you in advance for your feedback/help!
          >
          > hope all is having a great thanksgiving break!
          >
          > -Kelvin

        • bretlevy
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 30, 2008
            In my web-apps, I allow XLS data (Excel 2003 file version) files to
            be uploaded and I parse the data out of the file directly and then
            present it in a large array of <input type=text> elements that are
            all uniformly sized and inside a div with scrolling. The result is a
            spreadsheet-like data set and UI. You can then edit, validate, and
            otherwise manipulate in the UI and then "updload" as raw data like
            anything else. This has seemed to be the most useful approach to me.

            However, there was one occassion where a cut-and-paste functionality
            was needed (a long time ago), and I "solved" that problem by creating
            a textarea that you pasted in, and when the data was pasted
            (onchange), it sent it to the server immediately, and replaced the
            textarea with the aforementioned "grid". You could parse the data at
            the client too (pasted Excel data is just tab/nl-delimited text).

            The server-side code that parses the Excel file is just a small PHP
            class (actually two). I think I found the code somewhere and then
            cleaned it up. I will make it available to anyone that wants it.
            (bret at levycodev dot com)

            ~~bret

            wrote:

            > Hi gang,
            >
            > I'm new to YUI and was wondering off hand if anyone knows whether
            YUI can
            > handle spreadsheet type functionality of data.
            >
            > More specifically, I'm looking to have an interface where the user
            can
            > manipulate blocks of cells of data (highlight, copy, cut, paste,
            etc.)
            > here is a scenario of what i have in mind that I hope to implement
            as a "new
            > way" to input data into a web page/app:
            >
            > user opens up their excel spreadsheet w/their data they want to
            copy...
            > user copies block of data from spreadsheet...
            > user goes to my datatable and PASTES the data into the datatable as
            a way to
            > INPUT data into my webapp...
            > user saves the datatable (aka: webapp's spreadsheet)... effectively
            > inputting their data into the webapp..
            >
            > I would LOVE to have google functionality in my webapp, but if i
            can keep
            > everything homogenous without bending backwards to include this
            > functionality, i'd prefer to do that. who knows...perhaps this
            > functionality is something i'll need to utilize from google's
            spreadsheet
            > api?
            >
            > anyway...thank you in advance for your feedback/help!
            >
            > hope all is having a great thanksgiving break!
            >
            > -Kelvin

          • Kelvin
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 30, 2008
              thank you all who replied.  i appreciate your input and will see how this will fit into my strategy for web dev.

              lots to learn!!

              thanks,
              Kelvin