Re: [ydn-javascript] Find available remaining height

  • Paul Sculthorpe
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2006
      Hi there,

      I don't think your query is relevant in this discussion, but you might
      want to read a couple of articles on CSS that will probably help:

      http://www.alistapart.com/articles/holygrail
      http://positioniseverything.net/articles/onetruelayout/

      Good luck!

      Paul.

      Nige White wrote:
      > I'm adjusting the height of a container div to contain a table (I'm
      > creating a table with a scrollable body, and fixed header). The
      > container div must be just exactly the height remaining inside ITS
      > container so that its style can be set to "overflow:auto":
      >
      > +-----------------------+
      > | Descrip - dragbar |
      > +-----------------------+
      > | col | col | col | col |
      > +-----------------------+
      > | ^ |
      > | | |
      > | How high? |
      > | | |
      > | v |
      > +-----------------------+
      >
      > IMHO, "height:100%", should mean "100% of the REMAING AVAILABLE height",
      > but since it doesn't in fact work like that, has anyone solved this problem?
      >
      > Nige

    • j_al_anderson
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2006
        Nige, the hight of an object can be pulled out with javascript but as
        usual there are three formulas to get the height. This is the formula
        that I like to use;

        /* first detect ie, ns4, and w3c browser type */

        var ie = document.all ? 1 : 0
        var ns4 = document.layers ? 1 : 0
        var w3c = document.getElementById ? 1 : 0

        /* then run this function feeding the id of the target object */

        function getHeight(id) {
        obj=dom(id);
        height = ie ? obj.offsetHeight : ns4 ? obj.clip.height :
        document.defaultView.getComputedStyle(obj, "").getPropertyValue
        ("height").substring(0,document.defaultView.getComputedStyle
        (obj, "").getPropertyValue("height").indexOf("p"))
        return height;
        }

        /* it should return the number */

        I have only tested this on one project and it was internal so I don't
        know what the other browsers will return but it has worked for me
        before.