Find available remaining height

  • Nige White
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6 3:47 AM
      I'm adjusting the height of a container div to contain a table (I'm
      creating a table with a scrollable body, and fixed header). The
      container div must be just exactly the height remaining inside ITS
      container so that its style can be set to "overflow:auto":

      +-----------------------+
      | Descrip - dragbar |
      +-----------------------+
      | col | col | col | col |
      +-----------------------+
      | ^ |
      | | |
      | How high? |
      | | |
      | v |
      +-----------------------+

      IMHO, "height:100%", should mean "100% of the REMAING AVAILABLE height",
      but since it doesn't in fact work like that, has anyone solved this problem?

      Nige

      e-mail : hostmaster@...
    • Paul Sculthorpe
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6 3:54 AM
        Hi there,

        I don't think your query is relevant in this discussion, but you might
        want to read a couple of articles on CSS that will probably help:

        http://www.alistapart.com/articles/holygrail
        http://positioniseverything.net/articles/onetruelayout/

        Good luck!

        Paul.

        Nige White wrote:
        > I'm adjusting the height of a container div to contain a table (I'm
        > creating a table with a scrollable body, and fixed header). The
        > container div must be just exactly the height remaining inside ITS
        > container so that its style can be set to "overflow:auto":
        >
        > +-----------------------+
        > | Descrip - dragbar |
        > +-----------------------+
        > | col | col | col | col |
        > +-----------------------+
        > | ^ |
        > | | |
        > | How high? |
        > | | |
        > | v |
        > +-----------------------+
        >
        > IMHO, "height:100%", should mean "100% of the REMAING AVAILABLE height",
        > but since it doesn't in fact work like that, has anyone solved this problem?
        >
        > Nige

      • j_al_anderson
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6 7:03 AM
          Nige, the hight of an object can be pulled out with javascript but as
          usual there are three formulas to get the height. This is the formula
          that I like to use;

          /* first detect ie, ns4, and w3c browser type */

          var ie = document.all ? 1 : 0
          var ns4 = document.layers ? 1 : 0
          var w3c = document.getElementById ? 1 : 0

          /* then run this function feeding the id of the target object */

          function getHeight(id) {
          obj=dom(id);
          height = ie ? obj.offsetHeight : ns4 ? obj.clip.height :
          document.defaultView.getComputedStyle(obj, "").getPropertyValue
          ("height").substring(0,document.defaultView.getComputedStyle
          (obj, "").getPropertyValue("height").indexOf("p"))
          return height;
          }

          /* it should return the number */

          I have only tested this on one project and it was internal so I don't
          know what the other browsers will return but it has worked for me
          before.