Chart polling doesn't add new columns even though new data is received

  • Justin Bolter
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
      I have a chart just like the ColumnChart example that does polling to
      a generatedata.php file. The problem is that as I query
      generatedata.php I keep gathering more and more data which also means
      additional items that should be showing up on the x-axis. However,
      the only thing that seems to update is the number in the existing
      columns, no new columns show up. I look at my JSON response and I can
      see that I am sending more Results that should show up but the only
      thing that is redrawn are the existing columns. Is there a way to get
      this working? Changing the DataSource while the polling is going on
      didn't make a difference. I still only get the updates for the
      columns that were drawn initially when the chart was created.

      Thanks,
      Justin
    • Justin Bolter
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
        In case i'm not being clear... start the charts-xhr-polling example.
        then go edit generatedata.php and add a new line and you'll see that
        it is never drawn on the chart even after it polls. Is there a way to
        force a refresh of the whole chart without creating a new chart that
        redraws the axis' and all?

        Thanks,
        Justin

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Justin Bolter" <jbolter@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I have a chart just like the ColumnChart example that does polling to
        > a generatedata.php file. The problem is that as I query
        > generatedata.php I keep gathering more and more data which also means
        > additional items that should be showing up on the x-axis. However,
        > the only thing that seems to update is the number in the existing
        > columns, no new columns show up. I look at my JSON response and I can
        > see that I am sending more Results that should show up but the only
        > thing that is redrawn are the existing columns. Is there a way to get
        > this working? Changing the DataSource while the polling is going on
        > didn't make a difference. I still only get the updates for the
        > columns that were drawn initially when the chart was created.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Justin

      • tripp.bridges
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 6, 2008
          Hi Justin,
          It looks like you've found a bug. I will need to investigate this
          further. I will post back to let you know if I can find a workaround
          for you.

          Thanks,
          Tripp
          wrote:

          > Hi,
          > I have a chart just like the ColumnChart example that does polling to
          > a generatedata.php file. The problem is that as I query
          > generatedata.php I keep gathering more and more data which also means
          > additional items that should be showing up on the x-axis. However,
          > the only thing that seems to update is the number in the existing
          > columns, no new columns show up. I look at my JSON response and I can
          > see that I am sending more Results that should show up but the only
          > thing that is redrawn are the existing columns. Is there a way to get
          > this working? Changing the DataSource while the polling is going on
          > didn't make a difference. I still only get the updates for the
          > columns that were drawn initially when the chart was created.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Justin

        • Laura Arhire
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 7, 2008
            I've had a similar situation - but could not use the polling feature because the project works with DWR which is asynchronous so I had to recreate everything by hand and call refreshCHart.

            However, what I did find during trial and error is that if the datasource looks like:

                var seriesDef =
                [
                    { displayName: "Rent", yField: "rent" },
                    { displayName: "Utilities", yField: "utilities" }
                ];

            then the new data will not appear. From what I remember, it needs to look like:
                var seriesDef =
                [
                    { displayName: "Rent", yField: "rent", xField: "month" },
                    { displayName: "Utilities", yField: "utilities", xField: "month" }
                ];

            (from the example here: http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/charts/charts-quickstart.html)

            I'll try to come up with an example and post it here.

            wrote:

            > Hi,
            > I have a chart just like the ColumnChart example that does polling to
            > a generatedata.php file. The problem is that as I query
            > generatedata.php I keep gathering more and more data which also means
            > additional items that should be showing up on the x-axis. However,
            > the only thing that seems to update is the number in the existing
            > columns, no new columns show up. I look at my JSON response and I can
            > see that I am sending more Results that should show up but the only
            > thing that is redrawn are the existing columns. Is there a way to get
            > this working? Changing the DataSource while the polling is going on
            > didn't make a difference. I still only get the updates for the
            > columns that were drawn initially when the chart was created.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Justin

          • Laura Arhire
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 7, 2008
              I've created an example (and remembered what was up with the xField thing as well). I could not get the polling to work by using fields, but it does work with axes. I've used a function datasource as it was easiest to integrate with the polling feature. I don't know if this will help but here it is:

                  YAHOO.widget.Chart.SWFURL = "http://yui.yahooapis.com/2.6.0/build//charts/assets/charts.swf";

              //--- data

                  var date = new Date();

                  YAHOO.example.monthlyExpenses =
                  [
                      { month: date.setMonth(0), rent: 880.00, utilities: 894.68 },
                      { month: date.setMonth(1), rent: 880.00, utilities: 901.35 },
                      { month: date.setMonth(2), rent: 880.00, utilities: 889.32 },
                      { month: date.setMonth(3), rent: 880.00, utilities: 884.71 },
                      { month: date.setMonth(4), rent: 910.00, utilities: 879.811 },
                      { month: date.setMonth(5), rent: 910.00, utilities: 897.95 }
                  ];

                  var myDataSource = new YAHOO.util.DataSource( function() {return YAHOO.example.monthlyExpenses;});
                  myDataSource.responseType = YAHOO.util.DataSource.TYPE_JSARRAY;
                  myDataSource.responseSchema =
                  {
                      fields: [ "month", "rent", "utilities" ]
                  };

              //--- chart

                  var seriesDef =
                  [
                      { displayName: "Rent", yField: "rent", xField: "month" },
                      { displayName: "Utilities", yField: "utilities", xField: "month" }
                  ];

                  YAHOO.example.formatCurrencyAxisLabel = function( value )
                  {
                      return YAHOO.util.Number.format( value,
                      {
                          prefix: "$",
                          thousandsSeparator: ",",
                          decimalPlaces: 2
                      });
                  }

                  YAHOO.example.getDataTipText = function( item, index, series )
                  {
                      var toolTipText = series.displayName + " for " + item.month;
                      toolTipText += "\n" + YAHOO.example.formatCurrencyAxisLabel( item[series.yField] );
                      return toolTipText;
                  }

                  var currencyAxis = new YAHOO.widget.NumericAxis();
                 // currencyAxis.minimum = 800;
                  currencyAxis.labelFunction = YAHOO.example.formatCurrencyAxisLabel;

                  var timeAxis = new YAHOO.widget.TimeAxis();

                  YAHOO.example.mychart = new YAHOO.widget.LineChart( "chart", myDataSource,
                  {
                      series: seriesDef,
                      xAxis: timeAxis,
                      yAxis: currencyAxis,
                      dataTipFunction: YAHOO.example.getDataTipText,
                      //only needed for flash player express install
                      expressInstall: "assets/expressinstall.swf",
                      polling: 2000
                  });

                  setTimeout("refresh()", 5000);

                  function refresh () {
                        YAHOO.example.monthlyExpenses =
                              [

                                  { month: date.setMonth(1), rent: 880.00, utilities: 901.35 },
                                  { month: date.setMonth(2), rent: 880.00, utilities: 889.32 },
                                  { month: date.setMonth(3), rent: 880.00, utilities: 884.71 },
                                  { month: date.setMonth(4), rent: 910.00, utilities: 879.811 },
                                  { month: date.setMonth(5), rent: 910.00, utilities: 897.95 },
                                  { month: date.setMonth(6), rent: 1880.00, utilities: 894.68 }
                              ];
                  }

              wrote:

              > Hi,
              > I have a chart just like the ColumnChart example that does polling to
              > a generatedata.php file. The problem is that as I query
              > generatedata.php I keep gathering more and more data which also means
              > additional items that should be showing up on the x-axis. However,
              > the only thing that seems to update is the number in the existing
              > columns, no new columns show up. I look at my JSON response and I can
              > see that I am sending more Results that should show up but the only
              > thing that is redrawn are the existing columns. Is there a way to get
              > this working? Changing the DataSource while the polling is going on
              > didn't make a difference. I still only get the updates for the
              > columns that were drawn initially when the chart was created.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Justin

            • Justin Bolter
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 10, 2008
                I'm not sure this is quite what I'm looking for. My problem is that
                let's say I have six "month" points like in your example. Then when I
                generate the new data, i have more than six points, 7 or 8 say. well
                only the first 6 that were originally there are shown, the new fields
                do not show up in the x-axis at all or anywhere on the chart.

                --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Laura Arhire" <larhire@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > ];
                > >
                > > then the new data will not appear. From what I remember, it needs
                to look
                > > like:
                > > var seriesDef =
                > > [
                > > { displayName: "Rent", yField: "rent", xField: "month" },
                > > { displayName: "Utilities", yField: "utilities", xField:
                "month" }
                > > ];
                > >
                > > (from the example here:
                > > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/charts/charts-quickstart.html)
                > >
                > > I'll try to come up with an example and post it here.
                > >

                > > On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 6:01 AM, tripp.bridges <trippb@...>wrote:
                > >
                > >> Hi Justin,
                > >> It looks like you've found a bug. I will need to investigate this
                > >> further. I will post back to let you know if I can find a workaround

                <ydn-javascript%40yahoogroups.com>,

                I can

              • Justin Bolter
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 10, 2008
                  ok wait, i see in your example, if I add more lines to the data
                  source, they do show up, so what am I missing in my code? the
                  datasource must be a function that returns? i need this to be
                  dynamic, updating by calling a php script... how can i incorporate
                  your idea to fix my code?

                  thanks!

                  wrote:

> [...]
                  > datasource
                  > > > looks like:
                  > > >
                  > > > var seriesDef =
                  > > > [
                  > > > { displayName: "Rent", yField: "rent" },
                  > > > { displayName: "Utilities", yField: "utilities" }
                  > > > ];
                  > > >
                  > > > then the new data will not appear. From what I remember, it needs
                  > to look
                  > > > like:
                  > > > var seriesDef =
                  > > > [
                  > > > { displayName: "Rent", yField: "rent", xField: "month" },
                  > > > { displayName: "Utilities", yField: "utilities", xField:
                  > "month" }
                  > > > ];
                  > > >
                  > > > (from the example here:

                  http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/charts/charts-quickstart.html)

                  > > > I'll try to come up with an example and post it here.

                • Laura Arhire
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 10, 2008
                    The difference is that my example uses an axis for the 0x instead of a field (check the chart definition where it says yAxis and xField). I used time axis but i am pretty sure a numeric axis will be the same. I think that will work for you as well. I've been able to do a lot using only axes, but I've found that trying to reproduce some of those things using fields (like "month" in the generic yahoo example) did not work. The function thing was just for the example it was easier to set up that way you do not need to use it.

                    I would just try replacing the fields with axis for the 0x in the beginning and checking if the polling works. You need to do the following:

                    1) Define an axis (numeric / time axis whatever you need) for the 0x - you should have 2 axes defined in total
                    2) Replace the xField in the chart attributes with xAxis and set this to the axis you created in (1)
                    3) Change your series definition from using only {displayName, yField} to  {displayName, yField, xField} where xField is the  value your 0x will take (in my case "month").

                    That should do the trick.

                    wrote:

> [...]
                    > datasource
                    > > > looks like:
                    > > >
                    > > > var seriesDef =
                    > > > [
                    > > > { displayName: "Rent", yField: "rent" },
                    > > > { displayName: "Utilities", yField: "utilities" }
                    > > > ];
                    > > >
                    > > > then the new data will not appear. From what I remember, it needs
                    > to look
                    > > > like:
                    > > > var seriesDef =
                    > > > [
                    > > > { displayName: "Rent", yField: "rent", xField: "month" },
                    > > > { displayName: "Utilities", yField: "utilities", xField:
                    > "month" }
                    > > > ];
                    > > >
                    > > > (from the example here:

                    http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/charts/charts-quickstart.html)

                    > > > I'll try to come up with an example and post it here.

                  • Justin Bolter
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 11, 2008
                      Thank you for the clear explanation, however I don't seem to have any
                      luck with this. I defined a new axis and the problem persists. I'm
                      going to try this with your code but with a remote datasource that
                      returns JSON instead of a JS_ARRAY and see if that is the bug that i'm
                      running into.

                      ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com<ydn-javascript%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > > > <ydn-javascript%40yahoogroups.com>,

                      > > > polling to
                      > > > means
                      > > However,
                      > > > I can
                      > > the only
                      > > > to get
                      > > going on

                    • Justin Bolter
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 22, 2008
                        Tripp,
                        Have you looked into this bug yet? I am going to have to look for a
                        new graph solution if this isn't solved or i don't have a workaround soon.

                        wrote:

> [...]
                        > >
                        > > 1) Define an axis (numeric / time axis whatever you need) for the 0x
                        > - you
                        > > should have 2 axes defined in total
                        > > 2) Replace the xField in the chart attributes with xAxis and set
                        > this to the
                        > > axis you created in (1)
                        > > 3) Change your series definition from using only {displayName,
                        > yField} to
                        > > {displayName, yField, xField} where xField is the value your 0x
                        > will take
                        > > (in my case "month").
                        > >
                        > > That should do the trick.
                        > >
                        > > On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 1:21 AM, Justin Bolter <jbolter@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > ok wait, i see in your example, if I add more lines to the data
                        > > > source, they do show up, so what am I missing in my code? the
                        > > > datasource must be a function that returns? i need this to be
                        > > > dynamic, updating by calling a php script... how can i incorporate

                      • tripp.bridges
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 24, 2008
                          Hi Justin,
                          My apologies for not getting back to you sooner. I actually responded
                          to another post with the same issue and somehow munged the two
                          together in my head. My bad.

                          We have plans to release a patch that will address this and other
                          issues before the end of the year but, unfortunately, there is not a
                          feasible workaround to use until then unless you are willing to alter
                          the underlying actionscript code and republish the SWF.

                          If you are interested in making these changes yourself, They are
                          outlined below. If you do try this, feel free to ping back if you run
                          into any issues or have questions.

                          Thanks, Tripp

                          Code changes below:

                          This bug exists in the CategoryAxis and the NumericAxis.
                          Here is the fix for the CategoryAxis class.
                          (com/yahoo/astra/fl/charts/axes/CategoryAxis.as)

                          First, add this method to the class:
                          private function getCategoryNames(value:Array):Array
                          {
                          var names:Array = [];
                          if(value != null && value.length > 0)
                          {
                          for(var i:int = 0; i < value.length; i++)
                          {
                          names.push(value[i].toString());
                          return names;
                          }

                          Next, change the setter for categoryNames to this:

                          public function set categoryNames(value:Array):void
                          {
                          this._categoryNamesSetByUser = value != null && value.length > 0;
                          if(this._categoryNamesSetByUser)
                          {
                          this._categoryNames = [];
                          }
                          else
                          {
                          //ensure that all category names are strings
                          this._categoryNames = getCategoryNames(value);

                          Finally, in the method, autoDetectCategories, change the last line of
                          code from:

                          this.categoryNames = uniqueCategoryNames.concat();

                          to:

                          this._categoryNames = getCategoryNames(uniqueCategoryNames.concat());

                          For the numeric axis fix, changes will need to be made to:
                          (com/yahoo/astra/fl/charts/axes/NumericAxis.as)

                          In the method, calculateMajorUnit, change the last line of code from:
                          else majorUnit = 0;
                          to:
                          else this._majorUnit = 0;

                          wrote:

> [...]
                          > > > "month" in the generic yahoo example) did not work. The function
                          > > thing was
                          > > > just for the example it was easier to set up that way you do not
                          > > need to use
                          > > > it.
                          > > >
                          > > > I would just try replacing the fields with axis for the 0x in the
                          > > beginning
                          > > > and checking if the polling works. You need to do the following:
                          > > >
                          > > > 1) Define an axis (numeric / time axis whatever you need) for the 0x
                          > > - you
                          > > > should have 2 axes defined in total
                          > > > 2) Replace the xField in the chart attributes with xAxis and set
                          > > this to the
                          > > > axis you created in (1)
                          > > > 3) Change your series definition from using only {displayName,
                          > > yField} to
                          > > > {displayName, yField, xField} where xField is the value your 0x

                        • Justin Bolter
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
                            I republished the swf and this seems to be the fix. Thank you for
                            acknowledging and fixing the bug for me. Is there an appropriate
                            place to report these types of bugs other than the forums?

                            Thanks,
                            Justin

                            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "tripp.bridges" <trippb@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > to:
                            > else this._majorUnit = 0;
                            >

                            > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Justin Bolter" <jbolter@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Tripp,
                            > > Have you looked into this bug yet? I am going to have to look for a
                            > > new graph solution if this isn't solved or i don't have a workaround
                            > soon.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks,
                            > > Justin
                            > >

                            > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Justin Bolter" <jbolter@>
                            > > wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Thank you for the clear explanation, however I don't seem to
                            have any
                            > > > luck with this. I defined a new axis and the problem persists. I'm
                            > > > going to try this with your code but with a remote datasource that
                            > > > returns JSON instead of a JS_ARRAY and see if that is the bug

                          • Eric Miraglia
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 2, 2008
                              Justin,

                              I'm glad you got squared away; thanks for raising the issue.

                              Information about filing bug reports for YUI can be found here:

                              Regards,
                              Eric