Re: [ydn-javascript] Bug in DataTable?

  • Christian Tiberg
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 3, 2008
      I'm not *sure* of anything, except that adding the if statement I put above solves the problem. How the problem occurs or why isn't clear yet. My first instinct is to look at YUI, since the problem occurs on several independent data tables, which share no code other than YUI.

      I had to push an update to a customer running IE primarily, and had to solve the problem. Editing one line in YUI seemed simpler than copying the huge render() method, and overriding it. It also seemed simpler than spending time on locating the problem source, which we'll of course be doing independently, as soon as we have the time available.

      Thanks for your input!

      Best regards,
       Christian Tiberg

      2008/11/3 Frank Dietrich <fdietrich@...>

      That doesn't seem feasible..
      If Your "Loading-Message" stays, are You sure, Your'e not having an error somewhere? YUI's async requests and  other methods sometimes are located within TRY...CATCH, thus errors don't really come up. there might be an array access somewhere going into nowhere due to zero records. something like that

    • Frank Dietrich
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 3, 2008
        ...I had to push an update to a customer running IE primarily, and had to solve the problem.

        sure, these are the situations where we need a solution *now* and have to throw theory and "good behaviour" overboard. Later, when the big stress is over, one has more time to see what actually happened and what is the best solution.

        regards

        Frank
      • Lucas Smith
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 3, 2008
          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Christian Tiberg"
          <ctiberg@...> wrote:

          > Hello!
          >
          > I think that I've found a bug. Or I'm rather sure of it, actually.
          Line 7264
          > of datatable.js starts a loop:
          >
          > for(; i>nIterEnd; i--) {
          > elTbody.deleteRow(-1);
          > }
          >
          > I think the purpose is to clean off the Loading message and any
          other stray
          > rows when the table is empty. But IE doesn't like this. So the table
          is left
          > with the message still display, "Loading data...". And an error
          message is
          > displayed.
          >
          > Is this caused by the datatable having a separate tbody for the mesage,
          > perhaps? I tried an alert(elTbody.rows.length) there, and it
          reported 0, so
          > there's nothing to delete. Maybe an if statement strategically
          placed would
          > solved the problem?
          >
          > Best regards,
          > Christian Tiberg

          Christian,

          Please submit a bug report in SourceForge, preferably with a
          simplified repro case. We certainly don't want errors popping up, so
          if it can be shown to be a bug, we can add verbiage and a workaround
          to the online documentation until a fix is rolled out in an upcoming
          release.

          https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func=add&group_id=165715&atid=836476

          Thanks,
          Luke
        • Christian Tiberg
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 4, 2008
            Hello!

            Thanks for your reply. I will submit a bug report as soon as I have narrowed it down to where the bug is. What I know for a fact is that two separate projects (with mostly YUI and some support routines in common) both show the error. The other project is big enough to be mostly unusable in the current IE, that was why I hadn't tested this behaviour in it.

            Best regards,
             Christian Tiberg

            <ctiberg@...> wrote:

            > Hello!
            >
            > I think that I've found a bug. Or I'm rather sure of it, actually.
            Line 7264
            > of datatable.js starts a loop:
            >
            > for(; i>nIterEnd; i--) {
            > elTbody.deleteRow(-1);
            > }
            >
            > I think the purpose is to clean off the Loading message and any
            other stray
            > rows when the table is empty. But IE doesn't like this. So the table
            is left
            > with the message still display, "Loading data...". And an error
            message is
            > displayed.
            >
            > Is this caused by the datatable having a separate tbody for the mesage,
            > perhaps? I tried an alert(elTbody.rows.length) there, and it
            reported 0, so
            > there's nothing to delete. Maybe an if statement strategically
            placed would
            > solved the problem?
            >
            > Best regards,
            > Christian Tiberg

            Christian,

            Please submit a bug report in SourceForge, preferably with a
            simplified repro case. We certainly don't want errors popping up, so
            if it can be shown to be a bug, we can add verbiage and a workaround
            to the online documentation until a fix is rolled out in an upcoming
            release.

            https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func=add&group_id=165715&atid=836476

            Thanks,
            Luke

          • MikeHatfield
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008
              (Apologies for the empty message - seems the group's Rich Text editor doesn't like WebKit!)

              I can reliably reproduce this bug by adapting the "Local XML Data" DataTable example (http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/datatable/dt_xhrlocalxml.html)

              The problem seems to stem from the renderLoopSize property and an empty resultset.

              Bug reported here:
              https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func=detail&aid=2286608&group_id=165715&atid=836476

              Thanks,
              Mike