Re: [ydn-javascript] Bug in DataTable?

  • Frank Dietrich
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 3, 2008
      sure, but before editing the YUI-Code, I'd rather create my own "no data" record or manually hide the complete table showing a placeholder,...  something thelike.

      Another idea would be subclassing the datatable (Satyam has two articles on that) and overwrite just the method in question.

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 3, 2008

        That doesn't seem feasible..
        If Your "Loading-Message" stays, are You sure, Your'e not having an error somewhere? YUI's async requests and  other methods sometimes are located within TRY...CATCH, thus errors don't really come up. there might be an array access somewhere going into nowhere due to zero records. something like that

      • Christian Tiberg
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 3, 2008
          I'm not *sure* of anything, except that adding the if statement I put above solves the problem. How the problem occurs or why isn't clear yet. My first instinct is to look at YUI, since the problem occurs on several independent data tables, which share no code other than YUI.

          I had to push an update to a customer running IE primarily, and had to solve the problem. Editing one line in YUI seemed simpler than copying the huge render() method, and overriding it. It also seemed simpler than spending time on locating the problem source, which we'll of course be doing independently, as soon as we have the time available.

          Thanks for your input!

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 3, 2008
            ...I had to push an update to a customer running IE primarily, and had to solve the problem.

            sure, these are the situations where we need a solution *now* and have to throw theory and "good behaviour" overboard. Later, when the big stress is over, one has more time to see what actually happened and what is the best solution.

            regards

            Frank
          • Lucas Smith
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 3, 2008
              --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Christian Tiberg"
              <ctiberg@...> wrote:

              > Hello!
              >
              > I think that I've found a bug. Or I'm rather sure of it, actually.
              Line 7264
              > of datatable.js starts a loop:
              >
              > for(; i>nIterEnd; i--) {
              > elTbody.deleteRow(-1);
              > }
              >
              > I think the purpose is to clean off the Loading message and any
              other stray
              > rows when the table is empty. But IE doesn't like this. So the table
              is left
              > with the message still display, "Loading data...". And an error
              message is
              > displayed.
              >
              > Is this caused by the datatable having a separate tbody for the mesage,
              > perhaps? I tried an alert(elTbody.rows.length) there, and it
              reported 0, so
              > there's nothing to delete. Maybe an if statement strategically
              placed would
              > solved the problem?
              >
              > Best regards,
              > Christian Tiberg

              Christian,

              Please submit a bug report in SourceForge, preferably with a
              simplified repro case. We certainly don't want errors popping up, so
              if it can be shown to be a bug, we can add verbiage and a workaround
              to the online documentation until a fix is rolled out in an upcoming
              release.

              https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func=add&group_id=165715&atid=836476

              Thanks,
              Luke
            • Christian Tiberg
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 4, 2008
                Hello!

                Thanks for your reply. I will submit a bug report as soon as I have narrowed it down to where the bug is. What I know for a fact is that two separate projects (with mostly YUI and some support routines in common) both show the error. The other project is big enough to be mostly unusable in the current IE, that was why I hadn't tested this behaviour in it.

                Best regards,
                 Christian Tiberg

                <ctiberg@...> wrote:

                > Hello!
                >
                > I think that I've found a bug. Or I'm rather sure of it, actually.
                Line 7264
                > of datatable.js starts a loop:
                >
                > for(; i>nIterEnd; i--) {
                > elTbody.deleteRow(-1);
                > }
                >
                > I think the purpose is to clean off the Loading message and any
                other stray
                > rows when the table is empty. But IE doesn't like this. So the table
                is left
                > with the message still display, "Loading data...". And an error
                message is
                > displayed.
                >
                > Is this caused by the datatable having a separate tbody for the mesage,
                > perhaps? I tried an alert(elTbody.rows.length) there, and it
                reported 0, so
                > there's nothing to delete. Maybe an if statement strategically
                placed would
                > solved the problem?
                >
                > Best regards,
                > Christian Tiberg

                Christian,

                Please submit a bug report in SourceForge, preferably with a
                simplified repro case. We certainly don't want errors popping up, so
                if it can be shown to be a bug, we can add verbiage and a workaround
                to the online documentation until a fix is rolled out in an upcoming
                release.

                https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func=add&group_id=165715&atid=836476

                Thanks,
                Luke

              • MikeHatfield
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 14, 2008
                  (Apologies for the empty message - seems the group's Rich Text editor doesn't like WebKit!)

                  I can reliably reproduce this bug by adapting the "Local XML Data" DataTable example (http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/datatable/dt_xhrlocalxml.html)

                  The problem seems to stem from the renderLoopSize property and an empty resultset.

                  Bug reported here:
                  https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func=detail&aid=2286608&group_id=165715&atid=836476

                  Thanks,
                  Mike