Re: [ydn-javascript] Re: YUI Compresser could produce shorter output

  • Randall R Schulz
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
      On Sunday 02 November 2008 16:11, Philip Tellis wrote:
      > RRS dropped bits saying:
      > > On Sunday 02 November 2008 15:30, D. Wayne Fincher wrote:
      > >> That would be great if it weren't bad programming technique.
      > >
      > > Grotesque! Redundant punctuation does not accentuate readability,
      > > and
      >
      > When 900 years old you reach, look as good, you will not. Hmm?
      >
      > :)

      Umm... Yes?

      Unless, perhaps, you're an acolyte of Ray Kurzweil.

      However, I fail to apprehend the significance of the assertion...

      RRS
    • crlender
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, dav.glass@... wrote:
        > I used the wrong term (syntax error), to me code that doesn't run as
        expected is an error ;)

        > So not putting the braces in and compressing the line could result
        in code that doesn't run as you want it to.

        Dav, I may be misreading you, but I don't see how the example I posted
        could be interpreted in any other way than the example with braces. The
        ECMAScript standard specifies how these structures are to be parsed and
        evaluated; any difference would indicate a (severe) bug in the script
        engine.

        Just in case, let me mention that I personally do use braces even if
        they're not necessary, but a compressor doesn't get any bonus points
        for readable output.

        - Conrad
      • D. Wayne Fincher
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
          Code conventions aren't just about "making code more readable".

          Anyone that attacks my post on that one single issue is taking part in
          a straw man. That is, instead of presenting a rebuttal based on the
          argument at hand, you take another argument which is easier to rebut
          and refute that one.

          In this case, I never mentioned anything about the readability of the
          code. And yet, a few posts only rebutted me on that point.

          Classic straw man approach. ;)