Re: [ydn-javascript] Re: YUI Compresser could produce shorter output

  • Philip Tellis
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
      RRS dropped bits saying:

      > On Sunday 02 November 2008 15:30, D. Wayne Fincher wrote:
      >> That would be great if it weren't bad programming technique.
      >
      > Grotesque! Redundant punctuation does not accentuate readability, and

      When 900 years old you reach, look as good, you will not. Hmm?

      :)
    • crlender
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Philip Tellis <philip@...> wrote:
        > Try this code:
        >
        > if (map.hasOwnProperty(k)) {
        > if (!(k in target))
        > target[k] = map[k];
        > else
        > target[k] = null;
        > }

        Just tested it, and it works just as expected.

        > It's still one statement inside the outer if, but if you remove the
        > braces, you confuse the engine. Take out the semi colons for more fun.

        No, it's *two* statements inside the outer 'if'. And those semicolons
        are not optional, so taking them out *would* be a syntax error without
        line breaks.

        I'm not sure what you mean by the engine getting confused... I've
        never seen a JavaScript implementation that couldn't correctly parse
        control structures with or without redundant curlies. This is basic
        stuff. Or maybe did you mean the compressor engine could get confused?

        > In any event, what you're stating is a micro-optimisation that buys you
        > nothing if you also gzip your javascript before serving. All those
        > braces will compress into a single bit or something of that order.

        Sure, it's not that big a deal, but the compressor's output *could*
        be improved (even if only by a few hundred bytes per script) without
        sacrificing code integrity. Whether the developers choose to implement
        it that way is of course their choice.

        Regarding gzip: if we could just assume that gzip were universally
        available and supported, the compressor wouldn't have to go to all
        the trouble... just strip out comments and let gzip do the rest.

        - Conrad
      • Randall R Schulz
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
          On Sunday 02 November 2008 16:11, Philip Tellis wrote:
          > RRS dropped bits saying:
          > > On Sunday 02 November 2008 15:30, D. Wayne Fincher wrote:
          > >> That would be great if it weren't bad programming technique.
          > >
          > > Grotesque! Redundant punctuation does not accentuate readability,
          > > and
          >
          > When 900 years old you reach, look as good, you will not. Hmm?
          >
          > :)

          Umm... Yes?

          Unless, perhaps, you're an acolyte of Ray Kurzweil.

          However, I fail to apprehend the significance of the assertion...

          RRS
        • crlender
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, dav.glass@... wrote:
            > I used the wrong term (syntax error), to me code that doesn't run as
            expected is an error ;)

            > So not putting the braces in and compressing the line could result
            in code that doesn't run as you want it to.

            Dav, I may be misreading you, but I don't see how the example I posted
            could be interpreted in any other way than the example with braces. The
            ECMAScript standard specifies how these structures are to be parsed and
            evaluated; any difference would indicate a (severe) bug in the script
            engine.

            Just in case, let me mention that I personally do use braces even if
            they're not necessary, but a compressor doesn't get any bonus points
            for readable output.

            - Conrad
          • D. Wayne Fincher
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 2, 2008
              Code conventions aren't just about "making code more readable".

              Anyone that attacks my post on that one single issue is taking part in
              a straw man. That is, instead of presenting a rebuttal based on the
              argument at hand, you take another argument which is easier to rebut
              and refute that one.

              In this case, I never mentioned anything about the readability of the
              code. And yet, a few posts only rebutted me on that point.

              Classic straw man approach. ;)