Re: charts and minor units

  • tripp.bridges
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
      Hi Laura
      The YUI Charts SWF uses the same source files as the ASTRA Charts
      component for flash developers.
      http://developer.yahoo.com/flash/astra-flash/charts/ Since ASTRA
      components are used in applications compiled by the developer, the
      developer has the option of embedding a font in their application and
      using this functionality. In short, this code exists for the ASTRA
      component and not its YUI counterpart.

      I will, however, log this as a feature request for the YUI Chart
      component as flash player 10 supports more robust handling of device
      fonts. This would have to be in a future release and it would only
      work for end-users who have flash player 10.

      Thanks,
      Tripp
      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Laura Arhire" <larhire@...> wrote:

      > Hi Tripp,
      >
      > Thanks for the reply. As I was looking through charts source code I saw
      > there is code there to make chart labels rotate (heavily commented
      with the
      > embed fonts option). Am I correct in guessing this functionality will be
      > added in a future release of yui ?
      >
      > Thanks again,
      > Laura
      >
      > On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 6:43 PM, tripp.bridges <trippb@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hi Laura,
      > > You are not able to rotate the text in YUI Charts. This is due to the
      > > fact that flash can only rotate embedded fonts. As for the gridlines
      > > and ticks, you should find all the documentation you need here:
      > > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/charts/#basicstyles
      > > (although, It sounds like you already have those issues sorted)
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Tripp
      > >

      > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
      <ydn-javascript%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > "larhire" <larhire@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I've digged though the .as files in the distribution and have found
      > > > some answers.
      > > >
      > > > For the first thing - I've decided agains using minor grid units for
      > > > now, but I added the tick marks for major grid units on the 0x axis
      > > > like so:
      > > > xAxis: {
      > > > majorTicks: {display: "always"}
      > > > }
      > > >

      > > > For the second problem (minor grid lines not showing up), I've
      styled
      > > > the chart like so:
      > > >
      > > > yAxis: {
      > > > minorGridLines: {
      > > > color: 0xeeeeee,
      > > > size: 1
      > > > }
      > > > }
      > > >
      > > > Still looking into tilting the 0x text.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,
      > > > Laura
      > > >
      > > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
      <ydn-javascript%40yahoogroups.com>,

    • Laura Arhire
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
        Hi Tripp,

        I understand now, this is good to know. It would bring a nice flavor to the charts if it will make it into a release.

        Thanks again for the great work with the charts (and the really swift replies!), it is truly great stuff! It has saved me a ton of work - and they have a very nice feel to them. Great job!

        Laura