Multiple use of widget on one page

  • akujbida
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2008
      Is there a tidy approach to putting many widgets (in this case,
      calendar menu buttons)onto one page? I need 12 or more, and this adds
      up to a lot of redundant code. I think that one part of a tidy
      solution would require that the ID of the clicked calendar gets passed
      to the select handler, but this does not seem to be the case.

      I can't find this resolved anywhere in the forum, tips appreciated.

      Sincerely,
      Aleksander
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008
        You can set the same listener for several objects. Within the listener,
        Event getTarget method lets you find what was clicked, possibly by its
        id. Methods getXY and setXY let you find out the position of the button
        and move the calendar container to the clicked button. You would need
        some consistent naming convention for the element IDs to associate
        calendar buttons to the input element where the selected date should go.

        You can actually have a single click listener for the whole
        document.body and through the getTarget call find out what was clicked
        and if it wasn't one of the calendar pop up buttons you simply ignore
        it. You can use, for example, a className to signal buttons that are
        meant to pop up calendars all across your application so whether there
        is one or many calendars or even if you add/remove them in the future,
        you always set up a single listener and a single calendar to serve any
        number of calendar pop ups buttons.

        Satyam

        akujbida wrote:
        > Is there a tidy approach to putting many widgets (in this case,
        > calendar menu buttons)onto one page? I need 12 or more, and this adds
        > up to a lot of redundant code. I think that one part of a tidy
        > solution would require that the ID of the clicked calendar gets passed
        > to the select handler, but this does not seem to be the case.
        >
        > I can't find this resolved anywhere in the forum, tips appreciated.
        >
        > Sincerely,
        > Aleksander

      • bretlevy
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008
          Aleksander:

          This might help you...

          http://sandbox.bluelinkdemo.com/sandbox/caltest1.htm

          ~~bret

          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "akujbida" <akujbida@...> wrote:

          > Is there a tidy approach to putting many widgets (in this case,
          > calendar menu buttons)onto one page? I need 12 or more, and this adds
          > up to a lot of redundant code. I think that one part of a tidy
          > solution would require that the ID of the clicked calendar gets passed
          > to the select handler, but this does not seem to be the case.
          >
          > I can't find this resolved anywhere in the forum, tips appreciated.
          >
          > Sincerely,
          > Aleksander

        • akujbida
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2008
            Thanks Satyam,
            That is a superb overview of the approach, just what I needed,
            thanks for taking the time.
            Sincerely,
            Aleksander

            > You can set the same listener for several objects. Within the
            listener,
            > Event getTarget method lets you find what was clicked, possibly by its
            <snip>
          • akujbida
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2008
              Thanks Bret,
              I had noticed that one when looking earlier, but couldn't figure
              out how to apply it to the menubutton style of calendar, so kept
              looking. Very neat and tidy, though, and will be the route I will try
              to take. Thanks for troubling to point it out.
              Sincerely,
              Aleksander