Re: javascript unexpected call to method or property access

  • fdr58
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2008
      thank you very much for yr response.. this is not a syntax error (if
      it were I would have gotten an error in FF..)
      if I search for "javascript ie unexpected call to method or property
      access" I get lots of results, most of them mention the two methods I
      mentioned in my post (but unfortunately was not able to find an
      answer in any of these entries..) also, in this yahoo blog,
      http://yuiblog.com/blog/2007/06/07/, it also says that IE has a
      problem w/these methods.. it's just that in this blog it focuses on
      CSS, my problem is not w/CSS, it's with lines like

      containerEl.appendChild(img); // and/or
      this.bodyDiv = document.createElement('div');

      thank you very much....

      > Both methods exists and behave well in all browsers, they cannot be
      at
      > fault, though the error might be close by. The first thing to look
      when
      > something works in any browser but IE is for trailing commas in
      arrays
      > or object literals. IE is the only browser that will show a 4 with
      this
      > instruction: alert([1,2,3,]). That fourth non-existing element
      that IE
      > thinks is there causes lots of trouble.
      >
      > Satyam
      >

      > fdr58 wrote:
      > > hi, I have some YUI code I'm using in conjunction with JSON..
      it's
      > > mainly for opening a div with a product image when you click on a
      > > thumbnail..
      > >
      > > in FF it works fine, but in IE (IE 7, XP) the div does not open
      and I
      > > get this error:
      > >
      > > javascript unexpected call to method or property access
      > >
      > > I have looked this up extensively online, but can't find a
      solution..
      > > judging by what I've seen in the search-results it looks like the
      > > problem could be related to two methods:
      > >
      > > document.createElement() and
      > > document.body.appendChild()
      > >
      > > method createElement() is documented here,
      > > http://krook.org/jsdom/
      > > (can't find method appendChild(), since can't find obj "body"
      here,
      > > for some reason..)
      > >
      > > I can't understand what the problem is here..
      > >
      > > would appreciate some help.. thank you very much..

      30/10/2008 14:35

    • fdr58
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
        can I get a response pls..

        somewhere in this code
        http://www.mayacove.com/js/createProductImagePanels.js
        and
        http://www.mayacove.com/js/div.js

        is something that is causing aq weird error in IE:

        unexpected call to method or property access

        (no errors in FF...)

        I have NO IDEA what is causing this error in IE.. I would appreciate
        some help, pls..

        thank you...

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
          I looked at your code and there was nothing obvious. Usually, the list
          of things that work everywhere but in IE are a) you left a console.log
          statement b) you have an array or an object with a trailing semicolon,
          but I found none of these.

          I passed it through JSLint, the short one was Ok, the long piece gave
          several errors, most of them likely typos when you copied it over (there
          are some strange quote characters and a wandering h lost in the middle
          of nowhere. None of them might cause your error. I did find some
          things you might want to fix, besides paying attention to JSLint's
          diagnostics (I mean, once the errors are fixed, still read all that it
          has found).

          a) when you call the superclass.constructor, don't use 'this'. Instead of:

          Yns.ProductImagePanel = function (id) {
          this.constructor.superclass.constructor.call(

          do this:

          Yns.ProductImagePanel = function (id) {
          // Chain the constructors
          Yns.ProductImagePanel.constructor.superclass.constructor.call(

          Both initially work but if you were to further subclass
          ProductImagePanel, the first one will end creating an infinite loop.

          b) In getImageUrl, avoid starting the line with plus signs. Actually,
          this, on its own, is not a problem, but it might. I prefer to clearly
          indicate that a line is actually continuation of the previous and I
          prefer to start the line with something that makes it obvious. In
          JavaScript that is dangerous because of the logic the interpreters use
          to place missing semicolons. For the sake of the interpreter, when a
          line continues into the next, it is better that the last character makes
          it clear that there is something more. If you miss the last semicolon
          of an statement like this, the interpreter will start backtracking
          trying to insert semicolons at each line break and it might find
          somewhere where a semicolon makes a plausible statement and do something
          funny.

          Sometimes, when I'm really desperate I use the verbose option of the YUI
          Compressor. I can't say it is very helpful, only once it helped me to
          find a duplicate variable declaration.

          Satyam

        • fdr58
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
            thank you very much for taking the time to write..

            this line you posted,

            Yns.ProductImagePanel.constructor.superclass.constructor.call(

            is causing an error, in FF...
            (when I click on error in FF console it takes me precisely to this
            line..)

            oh brother, this is ridiculous...

            :( thank you...

> [...]
            > >
            > >> thank you very much for yr response.. this is not a syntax
            error

            > > (if
            > >
            > >> it were I would have gotten an error in FF..)
            > >> if I search for "javascript ie unexpected call to method or
            > >>
            > > property
            > >
            > >> access" I get lots of results, most of them mention the two
            methods

            > >> mentioned in my post (but unfortunately was not able to find an
            > >> answer in any of these entries..) also, in this yahoo blog,
            > >> http://yuiblog.com/blog/2007/06/07/, it also says that IE has a
            > >> problem w/these methods.. it's just that in this blog it
            focuses

            > > on
            > >
            > >> CSS, my problem is not w/CSS, it's with lines like
            > >>
            > >> containerEl.appendChild(img); // and/or
            > >> this.bodyDiv = document.createElement('div');

            02/11/2008 9:51

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
              Too many 'constructor' members

              Yns.ProductImagePanel.superclass.constructor.call(