Re: [ydn-javascript] javascript unexpected call to method or property access

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2008
      Both methods exists and behave well in all browsers, they cannot be at
      fault, though the error might be close by. The first thing to look when
      something works in any browser but IE is for trailing commas in arrays
      or object literals. IE is the only browser that will show a 4 with this
      instruction: alert([1,2,3,]). That fourth non-existing element that IE
      thinks is there causes lots of trouble.

      Satyam

      fdr58 wrote:
      > hi, I have some YUI code I'm using in conjunction with JSON.. it's
      > mainly for opening a div with a product image when you click on a
      > thumbnail..
      >
      > in FF it works fine, but in IE (IE 7, XP) the div does not open and I
      > get this error:
      >
      > javascript unexpected call to method or property access
      >
      > I have looked this up extensively online, but can't find a solution..
      > judging by what I've seen in the search-results it looks like the
      > problem could be related to two methods:
      >
      > document.createElement() and
      > document.body.appendChild()
      >
      > method createElement() is documented here,
      > http://krook.org/jsdom/
      > (can't find method appendChild(), since can't find obj "body" here,
      > for some reason..)
      >
      > I can't understand what the problem is here..
      >
      > would appreciate some help.. thank you very much..

    • fdr58
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 31, 2008
        thank you very much for yr response.. this is not a syntax error (if
        it were I would have gotten an error in FF..)
        if I search for "javascript ie unexpected call to method or property
        access" I get lots of results, most of them mention the two methods I
        mentioned in my post (but unfortunately was not able to find an
        answer in any of these entries..) also, in this yahoo blog,
        http://yuiblog.com/blog/2007/06/07/, it also says that IE has a
        problem w/these methods.. it's just that in this blog it focuses on
        CSS, my problem is not w/CSS, it's with lines like

        containerEl.appendChild(img); // and/or
        this.bodyDiv = document.createElement('div');

        thank you very much....

        > Both methods exists and behave well in all browsers, they cannot be
        at
        > fault, though the error might be close by. The first thing to look
        when
        > something works in any browser but IE is for trailing commas in
        arrays
        > or object literals. IE is the only browser that will show a 4 with
        this
        > instruction: alert([1,2,3,]). That fourth non-existing element
        that IE
        > thinks is there causes lots of trouble.
        >
        > Satyam
        >

        > fdr58 wrote:
        > > hi, I have some YUI code I'm using in conjunction with JSON..
        it's
        > > mainly for opening a div with a product image when you click on a
        > > thumbnail..
        > >
        > > in FF it works fine, but in IE (IE 7, XP) the div does not open
        and I
        > > get this error:
        > >
        > > javascript unexpected call to method or property access
        > >
        > > I have looked this up extensively online, but can't find a
        solution..
        > > judging by what I've seen in the search-results it looks like the
        > > problem could be related to two methods:
        > >
        > > document.createElement() and
        > > document.body.appendChild()
        > >
        > > method createElement() is documented here,
        > > http://krook.org/jsdom/
        > > (can't find method appendChild(), since can't find obj "body"
        here,
        > > for some reason..)
        > >
        > > I can't understand what the problem is here..
        > >
        > > would appreciate some help.. thank you very much..

        30/10/2008 14:35

      • fdr58
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
          can I get a response pls..

          somewhere in this code
          http://www.mayacove.com/js/createProductImagePanels.js
          and
          http://www.mayacove.com/js/div.js

          is something that is causing aq weird error in IE:

          unexpected call to method or property access

          (no errors in FF...)

          I have NO IDEA what is causing this error in IE.. I would appreciate
          some help, pls..

          thank you...

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
            I looked at your code and there was nothing obvious. Usually, the list
            of things that work everywhere but in IE are a) you left a console.log
            statement b) you have an array or an object with a trailing semicolon,
            but I found none of these.

            I passed it through JSLint, the short one was Ok, the long piece gave
            several errors, most of them likely typos when you copied it over (there
            are some strange quote characters and a wandering h lost in the middle
            of nowhere. None of them might cause your error. I did find some
            things you might want to fix, besides paying attention to JSLint's
            diagnostics (I mean, once the errors are fixed, still read all that it
            has found).

            a) when you call the superclass.constructor, don't use 'this'. Instead of:

            Yns.ProductImagePanel = function (id) {
            this.constructor.superclass.constructor.call(

            do this:

            Yns.ProductImagePanel = function (id) {
            // Chain the constructors
            Yns.ProductImagePanel.constructor.superclass.constructor.call(

            Both initially work but if you were to further subclass
            ProductImagePanel, the first one will end creating an infinite loop.

            b) In getImageUrl, avoid starting the line with plus signs. Actually,
            this, on its own, is not a problem, but it might. I prefer to clearly
            indicate that a line is actually continuation of the previous and I
            prefer to start the line with something that makes it obvious. In
            JavaScript that is dangerous because of the logic the interpreters use
            to place missing semicolons. For the sake of the interpreter, when a
            line continues into the next, it is better that the last character makes
            it clear that there is something more. If you miss the last semicolon
            of an statement like this, the interpreter will start backtracking
            trying to insert semicolons at each line break and it might find
            somewhere where a semicolon makes a plausible statement and do something
            funny.

            Sometimes, when I'm really desperate I use the verbose option of the YUI
            Compressor. I can't say it is very helpful, only once it helped me to
            find a duplicate variable declaration.

            Satyam

          • fdr58
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
              thank you very much for taking the time to write..

              this line you posted,

              Yns.ProductImagePanel.constructor.superclass.constructor.call(

              is causing an error, in FF...
              (when I click on error in FF console it takes me precisely to this
              line..)

              oh brother, this is ridiculous...

              :( thank you...

> [...]
              > >
              > >> thank you very much for yr response.. this is not a syntax
              error

              > > (if
              > >
              > >> it were I would have gotten an error in FF..)
              > >> if I search for "javascript ie unexpected call to method or
              > >>
              > > property
              > >
              > >> access" I get lots of results, most of them mention the two
              methods

              > >> mentioned in my post (but unfortunately was not able to find an
              > >> answer in any of these entries..) also, in this yahoo blog,
              > >> http://yuiblog.com/blog/2007/06/07/, it also says that IE has a
              > >> problem w/these methods.. it's just that in this blog it
              focuses

              > > on
              > >
              > >> CSS, my problem is not w/CSS, it's with lines like
              > >>
              > >> containerEl.appendChild(img); // and/or
              > >> this.bodyDiv = document.createElement('div');

              02/11/2008 9:51

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
                Too many 'constructor' members

                Yns.ProductImagePanel.superclass.constructor.call(