javascript unexpected call to method or property access

  • fdr58
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2008
      hi, I have some YUI code I'm using in conjunction with JSON.. it's
      mainly for opening a div with a product image when you click on a
      thumbnail..

      in FF it works fine, but in IE (IE 7, XP) the div does not open and I
      get this error:

      javascript unexpected call to method or property access

      I have looked this up extensively online, but can't find a solution..
      judging by what I've seen in the search-results it looks like the
      problem could be related to two methods:

      document.createElement() and
      document.body.appendChild()

      method createElement() is documented here,
      http://krook.org/jsdom/
      (can't find method appendChild(), since can't find obj "body" here,
      for some reason..)

      I can't understand what the problem is here..

      would appreciate some help.. thank you very much..
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 31, 2008
        Both methods exists and behave well in all browsers, they cannot be at
        fault, though the error might be close by. The first thing to look when
        something works in any browser but IE is for trailing commas in arrays
        or object literals. IE is the only browser that will show a 4 with this
        instruction: alert([1,2,3,]). That fourth non-existing element that IE
        thinks is there causes lots of trouble.

        Satyam

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 31, 2008
          thank you very much for yr response.. this is not a syntax error (if
          it were I would have gotten an error in FF..)
          if I search for "javascript ie unexpected call to method or property
          access" I get lots of results, most of them mention the two methods I
          mentioned in my post (but unfortunately was not able to find an
          answer in any of these entries..) also, in this yahoo blog,
          http://yuiblog.com/blog/2007/06/07/, it also says that IE has a
          problem w/these methods.. it's just that in this blog it focuses on
          CSS, my problem is not w/CSS, it's with lines like

          containerEl.appendChild(img); // and/or
          this.bodyDiv = document.createElement('div');

          thank you very much....

          > Both methods exists and behave well in all browsers, they cannot be
          at
          > fault, though the error might be close by. The first thing to look
          when
          > something works in any browser but IE is for trailing commas in
          arrays
          > or object literals. IE is the only browser that will show a 4 with
          this
          > instruction: alert([1,2,3,]). That fourth non-existing element
          that IE
          > thinks is there causes lots of trouble.
          >
          > Satyam
          >

          > fdr58 wrote:
          > > hi, I have some YUI code I'm using in conjunction with JSON..
          it's
          > > mainly for opening a div with a product image when you click on a
          > > thumbnail..
          > >
          > > in FF it works fine, but in IE (IE 7, XP) the div does not open
          and I
          > > get this error:
          > >
          > > javascript unexpected call to method or property access
          > >
          > > I have looked this up extensively online, but can't find a
          solution..
          > > judging by what I've seen in the search-results it looks like the
          > > problem could be related to two methods:
          > >
          > > document.createElement() and
          > > document.body.appendChild()
          > >
          > > method createElement() is documented here,
          > > http://krook.org/jsdom/
          > > (can't find method appendChild(), since can't find obj "body"
          here,
          > > for some reason..)
          > >
          > > I can't understand what the problem is here..
          > >
          > > would appreciate some help.. thank you very much..

          30/10/2008 14:35

        • fdr58
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
            can I get a response pls..

            somewhere in this code
            http://www.mayacove.com/js/createProductImagePanels.js
            and
            http://www.mayacove.com/js/div.js

            is something that is causing aq weird error in IE:

            unexpected call to method or property access

            (no errors in FF...)

            I have NO IDEA what is causing this error in IE.. I would appreciate
            some help, pls..

            thank you...

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
              I looked at your code and there was nothing obvious. Usually, the list
              of things that work everywhere but in IE are a) you left a console.log
              statement b) you have an array or an object with a trailing semicolon,
              but I found none of these.

              I passed it through JSLint, the short one was Ok, the long piece gave
              several errors, most of them likely typos when you copied it over (there
              are some strange quote characters and a wandering h lost in the middle
              of nowhere. None of them might cause your error. I did find some
              things you might want to fix, besides paying attention to JSLint's
              diagnostics (I mean, once the errors are fixed, still read all that it
              has found).

              a) when you call the superclass.constructor, don't use 'this'. Instead of:

              Yns.ProductImagePanel = function (id) {
              this.constructor.superclass.constructor.call(

              do this:

              Yns.ProductImagePanel = function (id) {
              // Chain the constructors
              Yns.ProductImagePanel.constructor.superclass.constructor.call(

              Both initially work but if you were to further subclass
              ProductImagePanel, the first one will end creating an infinite loop.

              b) In getImageUrl, avoid starting the line with plus signs. Actually,
              this, on its own, is not a problem, but it might. I prefer to clearly
              indicate that a line is actually continuation of the previous and I
              prefer to start the line with something that makes it obvious. In
              JavaScript that is dangerous because of the logic the interpreters use
              to place missing semicolons. For the sake of the interpreter, when a
              line continues into the next, it is better that the last character makes
              it clear that there is something more. If you miss the last semicolon
              of an statement like this, the interpreter will start backtracking
              trying to insert semicolons at each line break and it might find
              somewhere where a semicolon makes a plausible statement and do something
              funny.

              Sometimes, when I'm really desperate I use the verbose option of the YUI
              Compressor. I can't say it is very helpful, only once it helped me to
              find a duplicate variable declaration.

              Satyam

            • fdr58
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
                thank you very much for taking the time to write..

                this line you posted,

                Yns.ProductImagePanel.constructor.superclass.constructor.call(

                is causing an error, in FF...
                (when I click on error in FF console it takes me precisely to this
                line..)

                oh brother, this is ridiculous...

                :( thank you...

> [...]
                > >
                > >> thank you very much for yr response.. this is not a syntax
                error

                > > (if
                > >
                > >> it were I would have gotten an error in FF..)
                > >> if I search for "javascript ie unexpected call to method or
                > >>
                > > property
                > >
                > >> access" I get lots of results, most of them mention the two
                methods

                > >> mentioned in my post (but unfortunately was not able to find an
                > >> answer in any of these entries..) also, in this yahoo blog,
                > >> http://yuiblog.com/blog/2007/06/07/, it also says that IE has a
                > >> problem w/these methods.. it's just that in this blog it
                focuses

                > > on
                > >
                > >> CSS, my problem is not w/CSS, it's with lines like
                > >>
                > >> containerEl.appendChild(img); // and/or
                > >> this.bodyDiv = document.createElement('div');

                02/11/2008 9:51

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 3, 2008
                  Too many 'constructor' members

                  Yns.ProductImagePanel.superclass.constructor.call(