Re: Character Encoding Problems

  • Jökull Sólberg Auðunsson
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2006
      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas S. Sha" <tsha@...> wrote:

      > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jokullaudunsson"
      > <jokullsolberg@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The following is a code snippet used to post a form. The success
      > > handler then makes a seperate request with an innerHTML to update the
      > > page AJAX style.
      > >
      > > YAHOO.util.Connect.setForm(formId);
      > > var cObj = YAHOO.util.Connect.asyncRequest( 'POST', 'reserve.asp',
      > > cbNewReserve );
      > >
      > > Everything works wonderfully except for foreign characters when
      > > submitting forms. I've set all page headers to charset=iso-8859-1.
      > > This works when retrieving with an asyncRequest but not submitting
      > > with a form. IOW the stuff going into my db backend is scrambled while
      > > manually putting it in makes it show up with all foreign characters.
      > >
      > > I've tried various flavors of the following without any luck.
      > >
      > > YAHOO.util.Connect.initHeader('Accept-Charset','ISO-8859-1');
      > >
      > > Any pointers greatly appreciated + huge thanks to the Yahoo UI team.
      >
      > XHR doesn't observe your header values and forces UTF-8; perhaps this
      > may be affecting your use case? If you post a test case, I'd be happy
      > to test on my end as well.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Thomas

      I converted all documents to UTF-8 - this seems to work fine. Thank you.
    • Jökull Sólberg Auðunsson
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2006
        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas S. Sha" <tsha@...> wrote:

        > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jokullaudunsson"
        > <jokullsolberg@> wrote:
        > >
        > > The following is a code snippet used to post a form. The success
        > > handler then makes a seperate request with an innerHTML to update the
        > > page AJAX style.
        > >
        > > YAHOO.util.Connect.setForm(formId);
        > > var cObj = YAHOO.util.Connect.asyncRequest( 'POST', 'reserve.asp',
        > > cbNewReserve );
        > >
        > > Everything works wonderfully except for foreign characters when
        > > submitting forms. I've set all page headers to charset=iso-8859-1.
        > > This works when retrieving with an asyncRequest but not submitting
        > > with a form. IOW the stuff going into my db backend is scrambled while
        > > manually putting it in makes it show up with all foreign characters.
        > >
        > > I've tried various flavors of the following without any luck.
        > >
        > > YAHOO.util.Connect.initHeader('Accept-Charset','ISO-8859-1');
        > >
        > > Any pointers greatly appreciated + huge thanks to the Yahoo UI team.
        >
        > XHR doesn't observe your header values and forces UTF-8; perhaps this
        > may be affecting your use case? If you post a test case, I'd be happy
        > to test on my end as well.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Thomas

        I switched back to ISO-8859-1 since UTF-8 is not suited for SQL
        storage. I'm still baffled by the whole encoding thing -
        Can I use js encode() function to pass it on to the server through XHR
        and then use something like urldecode() in ASP? Or better yet, force
        XHR to use ISO-8859-1!

        Thanks in advance
      • Thomas S. Sha
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2006
          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Jökull Sólberg Auðunsson
          <jokullsolberg@...> wrote:
          > I switched back to ISO-8859-1 since UTF-8 is not suited for SQL
          > storage. I'm still baffled by the whole encoding thing -
          > Can I use js encode() function to pass it on to the server through XHR
          > and then use something like urldecode() in ASP? Or better yet, force
          > XHR to use ISO-8859-1!

          setForm already encodes the POST body, so you should be able to decode
          it in ASP. You can also test the string yourself by assembling the
          form label/values and pass it as an argument to asyncRequest.

          Regards,
          Thomas