Re: [ydn-javascript] Re: Character Encoding Problems

  • Satya Agus Tandinata
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3 9:38 AM
      Im not really sure about this (so correct me if i wrong)
      but POST'ing data will bring current Charset encoding of the Page

      try to check your meta content charset

      "Thomas S. Sha" <tsha@...> wrote:
      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jokullaudunsson"
      <jokullsolberg@...> wrote:

      > The following is a code snippet used to post a form. The success
      > handler then makes a seperate request with an innerHTML to update the
      > page AJAX style.
      >
      > YAHOO.util.Connect.setForm(formId);
      > var cObj = YAHOO.util.Connect.asyncRequest( 'POST', 'reserve.asp',
      > cbNewReserve );
      >
      > Everything works wonderfully except for foreign characters when
      > submitting forms. I've set all page headers to charset=iso-8859-1.
      > This works when retrieving with an asyncRequest but not submitting
      > with a form. IOW the stuff going into my db backend is scrambled while
      > manually putting it in makes it show up with all foreign characters.
      >
      > I've tried various flavors of the following without any luck.
      >
      > YAHOO.util.Connect.initHeader('Accept-Charset','ISO-8859-1');
      >
      > Any pointers greatly appreciated + huge thanks to the Yahoo UI team.

      XHR doesn't observe your header values and forces UTF-8; perhaps this
      may be affecting your use case?  If you post a test case, I'd be happy
      to test on my end as well.

      Regards,
      Thomas

      Yahoo! Mail

    • Jökull Sólberg Auðunsson
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3 9:43 AM
        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas S. Sha" <tsha@...> wrote:

        > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jokullaudunsson"
        > <jokullsolberg@> wrote:
        > >
        > > The following is a code snippet used to post a form. The success
        > > handler then makes a seperate request with an innerHTML to update the
        > > page AJAX style.
        > >
        > > YAHOO.util.Connect.setForm(formId);
        > > var cObj = YAHOO.util.Connect.asyncRequest( 'POST', 'reserve.asp',
        > > cbNewReserve );
        > >
        > > Everything works wonderfully except for foreign characters when
        > > submitting forms. I've set all page headers to charset=iso-8859-1.
        > > This works when retrieving with an asyncRequest but not submitting
        > > with a form. IOW the stuff going into my db backend is scrambled while
        > > manually putting it in makes it show up with all foreign characters.
        > >
        > > I've tried various flavors of the following without any luck.
        > >
        > > YAHOO.util.Connect.initHeader('Accept-Charset','ISO-8859-1');
        > >
        > > Any pointers greatly appreciated + huge thanks to the Yahoo UI team.
        >
        > XHR doesn't observe your header values and forces UTF-8; perhaps this
        > may be affecting your use case? If you post a test case, I'd be happy
        > to test on my end as well.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Thomas

        I converted all documents to UTF-8 - this seems to work fine. Thank you.
      • Jökull Sólberg Auðunsson
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3 1:37 PM
          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas S. Sha" <tsha@...> wrote:

          > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "jokullaudunsson"
          > <jokullsolberg@> wrote:
          > >
          > > The following is a code snippet used to post a form. The success
          > > handler then makes a seperate request with an innerHTML to update the
          > > page AJAX style.
          > >
          > > YAHOO.util.Connect.setForm(formId);
          > > var cObj = YAHOO.util.Connect.asyncRequest( 'POST', 'reserve.asp',
          > > cbNewReserve );
          > >
          > > Everything works wonderfully except for foreign characters when
          > > submitting forms. I've set all page headers to charset=iso-8859-1.
          > > This works when retrieving with an asyncRequest but not submitting
          > > with a form. IOW the stuff going into my db backend is scrambled while
          > > manually putting it in makes it show up with all foreign characters.
          > >
          > > I've tried various flavors of the following without any luck.
          > >
          > > YAHOO.util.Connect.initHeader('Accept-Charset','ISO-8859-1');
          > >
          > > Any pointers greatly appreciated + huge thanks to the Yahoo UI team.
          >
          > XHR doesn't observe your header values and forces UTF-8; perhaps this
          > may be affecting your use case? If you post a test case, I'd be happy
          > to test on my end as well.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Thomas

          I switched back to ISO-8859-1 since UTF-8 is not suited for SQL
          storage. I'm still baffled by the whole encoding thing -
          Can I use js encode() function to pass it on to the server through XHR
          and then use something like urldecode() in ASP? Or better yet, force
          XHR to use ISO-8859-1!

          Thanks in advance
        • Thomas S. Sha
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3 8:33 PM
            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Jökull Sólberg Auðunsson
            <jokullsolberg@...> wrote:
            > I switched back to ISO-8859-1 since UTF-8 is not suited for SQL
            > storage. I'm still baffled by the whole encoding thing -
            > Can I use js encode() function to pass it on to the server through XHR
            > and then use something like urldecode() in ASP? Or better yet, force
            > XHR to use ISO-8859-1!

            setForm already encodes the POST body, so you should be able to decode
            it in ASP. You can also test the string yourself by assembling the
            form label/values and pass it as an argument to asyncRequest.

            Regards,
            Thomas