divided efforts

  • D. Wayne Fincher
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2008
      My question isn't necessarily posed to the YUI team because I'm
      guessing there's probably an obvious answer most anyone could give lol.

      I wonder why YUI would divide their time on YUI 2 and YUI 3? Wouldn't
      things be more efficient with all time spent on YUI 3?

      Perhaps YUI 2 is meant to have a "usefulness" extending past the
      release of YUI 3, similar to how PHP 4 is still being used in tons of
      places despite being deprecated and no more releases, and PHP 6 on the
      horizon lol.

      If that is the case, I wonder if YUI 2 might go all the way to 2.9 :O

      I can't really think of any other reasons. Of course I don't question
      the pros and how they do things, I merely have a curiosity about this. :D
    • Eric Miraglia
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2008
        Wayne,

        YUI 2.x is still the current codeline for the project -- and it will be for quite awhile.  We're putting considerable effort into the new codeline at this point, but releases like the one yesterday are still important (400+ bug fixes were part of 2.6.0).  With IE8 coming and Google Chrome here today, with ARIA evolving and maturing, there is a lot of dynamism to which 2.x still needs to respond.

        One thing we saw with 2.6.0 was that the larger community started making more concrete contributions -- in this case with Satyam's enhancements to the TreeView Control.  Caridy (who was hired by by another group here at Yahoo awhile ago) also contributed some nice work.  We hope to see that process continue and to be one of the ways in which 2.x continues to stay vibrant.  To answer your question, yes, we'd love to see a 2.9, 2.10 and beyond as more people get involved in the development process.  In addition to 2.x and 3.x, making it easier for everyone here to enhance the project is one of our top priorities.

        Regards,
        Eric

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2008
          I can definitely see that. I know I'm looking forward to using the
          paginator. Waiting till next year for a GA or even beta release of it
          in YUI 3 would be a loooong wait. ;)

          Give me another five years or so, and when my javascript skills are
          even just a shadow of what YUI javascript should be, I'll be taking
          advantage of contributing some work to YUI. I wouldn't be surprised if
          YUI is called something else entirely by then though :P

          UUI -- Uber User Interface, perhaps....