'hello world' datatable not being displayed

  • hewsonism
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2008
      Hello all,

      I am new to javascript and YUI. I have tried to figure this out on my
      own, but have not had any luck.

      I have a web application that consists of essentially a menu and a div
      to display content based on what menu item is selected from the menu.
      When a menu item is selected the below is event handler is called.

      I make a simple query to the server, the server replies with a JSON
      string and depending on the contents of that string I fill the display
      div (called 'content-paine').

      For singleton data I call displaySingletonData(), this is working
      correctly, conversely I can not for the life of me figure out why the
      table will not display.

      Orginally the table display code was not wrapped in a listener, this
      resulted in firebug complaining that YAHOO.widget.DataTable was not a
      constructor. From another post in this group, I found that the page
      elements might not have been loaded yet and that was creating the
      situation. After wrapping the code I do not get any errors, but nothing
      is displayed either. Perhaps the 'load' event is not happening and so
      the datatable code is never called?

      Any suggestions / comments are welcome.

      Thanks,

      Steve

      **** begin function ****
      function setContentPaine (eventType, fireMethodArgs, contentObj) {

      var handleSuccess = function (responseObj) {

      //attempt to parse the returned JSON string
      try{
      messages = YAHOO.lang.JSON.parse(responseObj.responseText);
      }
      catch (err) {
      setErrorDisplay('','', { info: "Could not parse response from
      server." });
      return;
      }

      // look @ the returned data, its displayed differently depending on
      // whether or not the object is a singleton or not.
      if (messages.data.singleton == true) {
      displaySingletonData(messages.data);
      } else {

      YAHOO.util.Event.addListener(window, "load", function() {
      YAHOO.example.Basic = new function() {
      var bookorders = [
      {id:"po-0167", date:new Date(1980, 2, 24), quantity:1,
      amount:4, title:"A Book About Nothing"},
      {id:"po-0783", date:new Date("January 3, 1983"),
      quantity:null, amount:12.12345, title:"The Meaning of Life"},
      {id:"po-0297", date:new Date(1978, 11, 12),
      quantity:12, amount:1.25, title:"This Book Was Meant to Be Read Aloud"},
      {id:"po-1482", date:new Date("March 11, 1985"),
      quantity:6, amount:3.5, title:"Read Me Twice"}
      ];
      var myColumnDefs =
      [{key:"id"},{key:"date"},{key:"quantity"},{key:"amount"},{key:"title"}];
      this.myDataSource = new YAHOO.util.DataSource(bookorders);
      this.myDataSource.responseType =
      YAHOO.util.DataSource.TYPE_JSARRAY;
      this.myDataSource.responseSchema = {fields:
      ["id","date","quantity","amount","title"]};

      this.myDataTable = new
      YAHOO.widget.DataTable("content-paine",
      myColumnDefs, this.myDataSource);
      };
      });

      var handleFailure = function (responseObj) {
      setErrorDisplay("","", {info: responseObj.statusText});
      }

      var callbackObj = { success: handleSuccess, failure: handleFailure,
      argument:{} };

      var sUrl = "../content.py";
      var postData = "pageid="+contentObj.pageId;
      var request = YAHOO.util.Connect.asyncRequest('POST', sUrl,
      callbackObj, postData);

      }
      **** end function ****
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2008
        That error often signals that you have not loaded all the library files,
        that you didn't load them in order or even that you loaded one more than
        once and the second time it overstepped on something already initialized.

        Use the configurator to check you have all that's needed:

        http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/articles/hosting/#configure

        Satyam

      • Eric Miraglia
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2008
          A direct link to the Configurator prepopulated with DataTable's dependencies, including optional dependencies:

          Regards,
          Eric

          hewsonism wrote:
> [...]
          > this.myDataSource = new YAHOO.util.DataSour ce(bookorders) ;
          > this.myDataSource. responseType =
          > YAHOO.util.DataSour ce.TYPE_JSARRAY;
          > this.myDataSource. responseSchema = {fields:
          > ["id","date" ,"quantity" ,"amount" ,"title"] };
          >
          > this.myDataTable = new
          > YAHOO.widget. DataTable( "content- paine",
          > myColumnDefs, this.myDataSource) ;
          > };
          > });
          >
          > var handleFailure = function (responseObj) {
          > setErrorDisplay( "","", {info: responseObj. statusText} );
          > }
          >
          > var callbackObj = { success: handleSuccess, failure: handleFailure,
          > argument:{} };
          >
          > var sUrl = "../content. py";
          > var postData = "pageid="+contentOb j.pageId;
          > var request = YAHOO.util.Connect. asyncRequest( 'POST', sUrl,

        • hewsonism
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2008
            Thank you for the replies.

            I have gone to the configurator and my code now uses the suggested order
            & dependencies->
            http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/articles/hosting/?animation&connection&da\
            tasource&datatable&dom&element&event&fonts&grids&json&menu&reset&yahoo&M\
            IN&nocombine

            I am still not seeing any table displayed, nor am I seeing any errors in
            firebug.

            Any other suggestions?

            Thanks,

            Steve

            --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Eric Miraglia <miraglia@...>
            wrote:

            > A direct link to the Configurator prepopulated with DataTable's
            > dependencies, including optional dependencies:

            http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/articles/hosting/?datatable&MIN&loadOptio\
            nal

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 2, 2008
              You know that the link below is not the one that loads the library files
              but it is a reference to the configuration. Just checking.

              Satyam

            • hewsonism
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 2, 2008
                I think the root of my problem was the 'load' event had passed before I
                had added the listener. (my table is added to the content-paine div,
                but the page is never reloaded)

                replacing the if/else statement inside the 'handleSuccess' function from
                my earlier code with following fixed my problem.

                Thanks again,

                Steve

                ** begin new if/else **
                if (messages.data.singleton == true) {
                displaySingletonData(messages.data);
                } else {

                var displayTable = function () {

                var bookorders = [
                ["po-0167", new Date(1980, 2, 24),1, 4, "A Book About
                Nothing"],
                ["po-0783", new Date("January 3, 1983"), null,
                12.12345, "The Meaning of Life"],
                ["po-0297", new Date(1978, 11, 12), 12, 1.25, "This
                Book Was Meant to Be Read Aloud"],
                ["po-1482", new Date("March 11, 1985"), 6,3.5, "Read
                Me Twice"]
                ];
                var myColumnDefs =
                [{key:"id"},{key:"date"},{key:"quantity"},{key:"amount"},{key:"title"}];
                var myDataSource = new YAHOO.util.DataSource(bookorders);
                myDataSource.responseType =
                YAHOO.util.DataSource.TYPE_JSARRAY;
                myDataSource.responseSchema = {fields:
                ["id","date","quantity","amount","title"]};

                myDataTable = new YAHOO.widget.DataTable("tablecontainer",
                myColumnDefs, myDataSource);

                };
                YAHOO.util.Event.onAvailable("tablecontainer", displayTable);
                $('content-paine').innerHTML = "<div id='tablecontainer'></div>";

                ** end new if/else **
                --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "hewsonism"

                \

                {