how do I access events in the basic Calendar?

  • casiewelch
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2 7:38 AM
      Hi there folks -

      I like the Calendar widget, nice work. Adds a lot of
      functionality. However, I am banging my head against the wall
      trying to figure out how to set up events for the basic Calendar.

      The documentation states that Calendar inherits event-related
      methods from YAHOO.widget.Calendar_Core such as wireDefaultEvents.

      The documentation states that wireDefaultEvents "Wires the local DOM
      events for the Calendar, including cell selection, hover, and
      default navigation that is used for moving back and forth between
      calendar pages."

      However, there is no list of events, their names, or (seemingly) any
      documentation on how to listen to or access any of these events.

      Could someone please enlighten me as to how to use the default
      events associated with the basic Calendar widget? An example that
      triggered an alert box when a cell is selected in the Calendar would
      be ideal.

      Regards,

      -Adrian
    • casiewelch
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3 8:22 AM
        Okay, here is what I don't understand, probably because I'm pretty
        new to Javascript, although I have been getting the hang of the AJAX
        stuff no problem, and making some functional stuff.

        Anyway, I have some confusion here, and although I know my problems
        may seem mundane, a little clarification would greatly assist me. I
        apologize for being a pain in the ass, but believe me, I am trying
        very hard to figure this stuff out on my own - I'm not just bugging
        you folks for no reason.

        My basic problem is that I don't understand how to listen to the
        Calendar's default events. If I listen to an event like this:

        function init() {
        cal1 = new YAHOO.widget.Calendar("cal1","cal1Container");
        cal1.render();
        YAHOO.util.Event.addListener(cal1.id, "click", fnTest);
        }

        function fnTest () {
        alert("yo!");
        }

        It works no problem - when I click the calendar, the event fires.
        This I understand.

        What I don't understand is how to get to other events, like when the
        I select a cell in the calendar. In the calendar's documentation it
        says:

        onSelect
        void onSelect
        Event executed when a date is selected in the calendar widget.

        When I modify the code above like so:

        YAHOO.util.Event.addListener(cal1.id, "onSelect", fnTest);

        It doesn't work.

        YAHOO.util.Event.addListener(cal1.id, "select", fnTest);

        Doesn't work either.

        So my question is, how do I add listeners for these default events?

        And if someone has the time, my other question is: how do I know
        what the name of the event is? To add a listener to the click
        event, the syntax is:

        YAHOO.util.Event.addListener(cal1.id, "click", fnTest);

        As far as I know, a click event in Javascript is normally
        called "onClick". So why isn't the syntax:

        YAHOO.util.Event.addListener(cal1.id, "onClick", fnTest); ?

        It was only by trial and error that I was able to get this right.
        Is there a resource of some kind where I can see a list of actual
        event names (like onClick, onSelect) and their corresponding Yahoo
        event listener shortform (like click)?

        Again, I humbly apologize for my ignorance and lack of expertise -
        with luck, perserverance and some help from you folks, these
        deficiencies will be temporary.

        Regards,

        -Adrian

        P.S. If any of you have some sample code I could take a look at that
        would clear up this for me, you can send it to adrianduyzer AT
        gmail.com (this yahoo account belongs to my wife).

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "casiewelch" <casiewelch@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi there folks -
        >
        > I like the Calendar widget, nice work. Adds a lot of
        > functionality. However, I am banging my head against the wall
        > trying to figure out how to set up events for the basic Calendar.
        >
        > The documentation states that Calendar inherits event-related
        > methods from YAHOO.widget.Calendar_Core such as wireDefaultEvents.
        >
        > The documentation states that wireDefaultEvents "Wires the local
        DOM
        > events for the Calendar, including cell selection, hover, and
        > default navigation that is used for moving back and forth between
        > calendar pages."
        >
        > However, there is no list of events, their names, or (seemingly)
        any
        > documentation on how to listen to or access any of these events.
        >
        > Could someone please enlighten me as to how to use the default
        > events associated with the basic Calendar widget? An example that
        > triggered an alert box when a cell is selected in the Calendar
        would
        > be ideal.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > -Adrian