error detection with javascipt...bogus errors?

  • blocky97
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2008
      I posted this on webdeveloper.com ...but wanted to see if anyone here
      has dealt with this...

      Hello,
      I have put in error detection code for javascript in an application we
      are building. Whenever a javascript error occurs, it does an AJAX
      requests and logs it so it can be analyzed.

      The problem is that 99% of the time I can't reproduce the error.
      I know what browser, os, user, and function (if my script can gleam
      it) that is causing the error. After talking to users they don't seem
      to 'notice' anything wrong but I still get random errors.

      Anyone have experience with this?
      Myjavascript is nonobtrusive and loaded at the end of the page. I am
      wondering if the user is doing actions but the scripts haven't fully
      been proccessed by the browser/or downloaded.

      some messages are:
      lineNumber: 2
      anonymous(''undefined' is null or not an object'
      lineNumber: 1
      message: Unterminated string constant
      lineNumber: 11
      message: Permission denied
      lineNumber: 1
      message: ('dpGame is not defined',

      You can see that the line numbers are always at the top ...These
      messages are both from IE 6+ and FF 2+

      I would love to talk to anyone who is actively logging javascript
      errors to bounce ideas or learn from whta they have done.

      thanks

      seth