Re: [ydn-javascript] How do you use parseXMLData? There are no examples!

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
      You should call method sendRequest, that function, depending on the
      responseType you have declared, will call the right parser for you. See:

      http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/datasource/#sendrequest

      Satyam

      Josh Lizarraga wrote:
      > Hi all. I want to use the DataSource utility to parse some very simple
      > XML data. Here's a sample of the data:
      >
      > <results>
      > <result
      > vin = "PCF168FC9LWIZPY"
      > stock = "2DTSZ"
      > year = "2008"
      > />
      > </results>
      >
      > Here's what I've got so far with YUI:
      >
      > var invData = new
      > YAHOO.util.DataSource("http://www.example.com/example_feed.xml");
      > invListing.responseType = YAHOO.util.DataSource.TYPE_XML;
      > invListing.responseSchema = {
      > resultNode: "result",
      > fields: [
      > "vin",
      > "stock",
      > {key: "year", parser: YAHOO.util.DataSource.parseNumber}
      > ]
      > };
      > var invListing = invData.parseXMLData(oRequest,oFullResponse);
      >
      > I want to use the parseXMLData function to parse the data, but I don't
      > understand what oRequest and oFullResponse are. Can someone please
      > explain how these parameters affect my results?
      >
      > Thanks a bunch for any help!

    • Josh Lizarraga
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
        Thank you for your response, but now I have the same problem with
        sendRequest - I don't know what oResponse is supposed to be in my
        case. I understand what oCallback is/does.

        In the example, oResponse is used to narrow down the results to only
        greyhounds:

        myDataSource.sendRequest("breed=Greyhound", oCallback);

        I just want all the results!

        Thanks again for any responses!
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
          Josh Lizarraga wrote:
          > Thank you for your response, but now I have the same problem with
          > sendRequest - I don't know what oResponse is supposed to be in my
          > case. I understand what oCallback is/does.

          The oResponse of the code box is called oParsedResponse in the
          paragraphs just above.
          > In the example, oResponse is used to narrow down the results to only
          > greyhounds:
          >
          > myDataSource.sendRequest("breed=Greyhound", oCallback);

          The first argument can be an empty string, which will be appended to the
          base URL, leaving it unchanged.