NodeList returned includes "\n" as nodes

  • Timothy Stone
      • Jeff Craig
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1 9:08 AM
          On Sat, 2008-08-30 at 13:07 -0400, Timothy Stone wrote:
          > When I query the document for various childNodes, I'm getting the
          > NodeList, plus "\n" as nodes, doubling the returned childNodes of a
          > particular element.
          >
          > The XHR is running on Firefox 3/Mac. It might be an implementation
          > bug.
          >
          > Any tips on this? Pointers already posted? My search of the list was
          > not as effective as I might have liked it. Right now I'm just looping
          > through the NodeList and testing its nodeType against "3" and
          > dropping
          > it. Any better way?

          Not really. The Standard says that any whitespace between nodes is a
          own Text Node, and Firefox implements it this way. It's annoying, but
          it is the standard, and you do have to develop against it. Because of
          the way the standard is developed, it does seem like you're expected to
          do a lot more of "getElementsByTagName" instead of iterating over
          childNodes, but if iterating childNodes is what makes sense in your
          problem space, what you're doing is reasonable.

          Jeff Craig