Treeview - Odd issue

  • john_bell_sas
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 30, 2008
      Hello,

      Thanks again for all your hard work! It's great stuff.

      I'm curious if anyone has come across a similar issue -

      I'm using the treeview with html nodes. Everything works great the
      first time I select the node. However, if I select a new node and then
      previous node. The tree still submits the new node that I had
      selected. I've tried collapsing the nodes, but it seems that I can
      only select the node once - unless I refresh the entire page.

      Has anyone seen something similar?

      Thanks,

      John
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 30, 2008
        I've been trying to understand what you mean, but couldn't. What you
        mean when you say 'render' and 'submit', aren't all branches rendered
        from the start? Submit to what? HTML forms submit, TreeView trees, as
        far as I know, don't.

        Satyam

        john_bell_sas wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > Thanks again for all your hard work! It's great stuff.
        >

        > I'm curious if anyone has come across a similar issue -
        >
        > I'm using the treeview with html nodes. Everything works great the
        > first time I select the node. However, if I select a new node and then
        > previous node. The tree still submits the new node that I had
        > selected. I've tried collapsing the nodes, but it seems that I can
        > only select the node once - unless I refresh the entire page.
        >
        > Has anyone seen something similar?
        >

        > Thanks,
        >
        > John

      • john_bell_sas
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 30, 2008
          Sorry - Let me try to clear things up.

          Here is an example of two child nodes with the same parent (node2):

          var node3 = new YAHOO.widget.HTMLNode ('<a href="#self"
          onclick="makeRequest("http:/SASStoredProcess/do?_program=SBIP%3A%
          2F%2FFoundation%2FBIP+Tree%2FReportStudio%2FShared%2FReports%
          2FStoredProcesses%2FBunge+Manage+Cntrl+Tables%28StoredProcess%
          29&_action=strip&_debug=&cntrl_table_nm=acct_select ");return
          doSubmit()">Account Selection </a>',node2 ,false,true);

          var node4 = new YAHOO.widget.HTMLNode ('<a href="#self"
          onclick="makeRequest("http:/SASStoredProcess/do?_program=SBIP%3A%
          2F%2FFoundation%2FBIP+Tree%2FReportStudio%2FShared%2FReports%
          2FStoredProcesses%2FBunge+Manage+Cntrl+Tables%28StoredProcess%
          29&_action=strip&_debug=&cntrl_table_nm=bgm_ind ");return
          doSubmit()">Business Units to Industries </a>',node2 ,false,true);

          The first time the user expands the tree and clicks on node3 -
          everything works perfectly. If the user clicks on node4, things also
          work nicely. However, if the user then clicks on node3, the html
          from node4 is what is shown. In fact, node4 continues to be shown
          (regardless of what node the user clicks under node2) UNLESS the user
          expands another tree and selects a different node.

          I think there is some type of caching going on. If the user waits
          long enough - then node3 will show up after the user selects it. I
          do have these statements in the header:

          <META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
          <META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="-1">

          I can't figure out it it's the Treeview object or Internet Explorer
          causing issues. I'm just curious if anyone has seen this behavior.

          Thanks,

          John

          > I've been trying to understand what you mean, but couldn't. What
          you
          > mean when you say 'render' and 'submit', aren't all branches
          rendered
          > from the start? Submit to what? HTML forms submit, TreeView
          trees, as
          > far as I know, don't.
          >
          > Satyam
          >

          > john_bell_sas wrote:
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > Thanks again for all your hard work! It's great stuff.
          > >

          > > I'm curious if anyone has come across a similar issue -
          > >
          > > I'm using the treeview with html nodes. Everything works great
          the
          > > first time I select the node. However, if I select a new node
          and then
          the
          > > previous node. The tree still submits the new node that I had
          > > selected. I've tried collapsing the nodes, but it seems that I
          can
          > > only select the node once - unless I refresh the entire page.
          > >
          > > Has anyone seen something similar?
          > >

          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > John

          29/08/2008 18:12

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 30, 2008
            Well, something is now clear, the issue has nothing to do with
            TreeView. You mention IE and, indeed, that is quite probably the cause
            of it all. IE has a very aggressive caching policy, more than the
            standard requires or other browsers use. If you try this code in any
            other browser you will probably find it works fine. <meta> headers
            might be not enough, most server software allows you to set HTTP
            headers, not HTML headers as you are doing, but those that go before
            HTML starts. Check in the forums for your server.

            There is a nasty trick I do not recommend which is add a random argument
            to the argument list of the URL, if it request is slightly different,
            the cache will be fooled. I don't like it because it fills up the cache
            with pages you are absolutely certain will never be reused, depriving
            the user of the benefits of caching other pages by saturating it with
            yours. That is an easy trick and certainly works, but a little more
            research will certainly offer a better solution, fairer to your users.

            As for YUI, it is not a good practice to include inline event handlers.
            Read the docs for the event utility and use that.

            Actually, a better way to do it with the TreeView would be to create
            plain TextNodes with the label "Account Selection" and such, and set a
            single listener for labelClickEvent. That event will receive a
            reference to the node clicked. From the information on that node you
            can build the URL on the fly.

            Satyam

          • john_bell_sas
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 30, 2008
              Satyam,

              Thank you for your time! I'll give it all a shot.

              -John

> [...]
              > > expands another tree and selects a different node.
              > >

              > > I think there is some type of caching going on. If the user waits
              > > long enough - then node3 will show up after the user selects it. I
              > > do have these statements in the header:
              > >
              > > <META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
              > > <META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="-1">
              > >
              > > I can't figure out it it's the Treeview object or Internet Explorer
              > > causing issues. I'm just curious if anyone has seen this behavior.
              > >

              > > Thanks,
              > >
              > > John
              > >

              > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Satyam <satyam@> wrote:
              > >
              > >> I've been trying to understand what you mean, but couldn't. What
              > >>
              > > you
              > >
              > >> mean when you say 'render' and 'submit', aren't all branches
              > >>
              > > rendered
              > >
              > >> from the start? Submit to what? HTML forms submit, TreeView

              29/08/2008 18:12