Putting an external file in a Layout

  • abhaysobti
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 20 9:49 AM

      Hi everyone,

      Though I did see a similar post, I cannot manage to get it working.

      Basically, I want the Units of a Layout to contain contents of External HTML files. How can I manage to do it. I tried using the connection manager but with no luck.

      Abhay

    • abhaysobti
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 22 2:11 AM
        Ok , I managed to put the contents of an external HTML file into a
        Unit of a layout using the Connection Manager. However, the
        Javascript inside the loaded file does not work.

        Now, I am into new trouble.

        ABhay

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "abhaysobti" <abhaysobti@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > Though I did see a similar post, I cannot manage to get it working.
        >
        > Basically, I want the Units of a Layout to contain contents of
        External
        > HTML files. How can I manage to do it. I tried using the connection
        > manager but with no luck.
        >
        > Abhay

      • Eric Miraglia
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 22 7:34 AM
          ABhay,

          JavaScript can't be reliably inserted via innerHTML.  If you want these pages to behave "normally," you'll need to load them in iframes.

          If all of these disparate pages are part of your own application and you control them, you should separate out the JS from the CSS and HTML.  Then, you can use the Get Utility or YUI Loader to bring in your JavaScript and CSS and use Connection Manager to bring in your markup (or data from which you build your markup).

          If these are pages you don't control, you'll have to parse the JavaScript out once you fetch the page with Connection Manager.  Caridy's Dispatcher Plugin (http://www.bubbling-library.com/eng/api/docs/plugins/dispatcher ) is often used for this; Caridy may be able to advise you as to whether this would be effective in your case.

          If you control the content, though, it's much better to fetch your data with Connection Manager without mixing in JS and CSS.

          -Eric

          wrote:

          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > Though I did see a similar post, I cannot manage to get it working.
          >
          > Basically, I want the Units of a Layout to contain contents of
          External
          > HTML files. How can I manage to do it. I tried using the connection
          > manager but with no luck.
          >
          > Abhay

        • Caridy Patino
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 22 2:05 PM
            Yeah, as Eric said you can use the dispatcher. Unfortunatelly the
            current version of the dispatcher is not integrated with the "layout
            manager", as it's with the "Tabview", I hope to have this feature for
            the next release. Meanwhile you can use it manually, and inserting the
            content directly into a certain unit.

            If you need help with this?, just let me know.

            Best Regards,
            Caridy Patino (caridy at yahoo-inc.com)
            Yahoo! LATAM

            > ABhay,
            >
            > JavaScript can't be reliably inserted via innerHTML. If you want
            > these pages to behave "normally," you'll need to load them in iframes.
            >
            > If all of these disparate pages are part of your own application and
            > you control them, you should separate out the JS from the CSS and
            > HTML. Then, you can use the Get Utility or YUI Loader to bring in
            > your JavaScript and CSS and use Connection Manager to bring in your
            > markup (or data from which you build your markup).
            >
            > If these are pages you don't control, you'll have to parse the
            > JavaScript out once you fetch the page with Connection Manager.
            > Caridy's Dispatcher Plugin
            (http://www.bubbling-library.com/eng/api/docs/plugins/dispatcher
            > ) is often used for this; Caridy may be able to advise you as to
            > whether this would be effective in your case.
            >
            > If you control the content, though, it's much better to fetch your
            > data with Connection Manager without mixing in JS and CSS.
            >
            > -Eric
            >

            > On Aug 22, 2008, at 2:11 AM, abhaysobti wrote:
            >
            > > Ok , I managed to put the contents of an external HTML file into a
            > > Unit of a layout using the Connection Manager. However, the
            > > Javascript inside the loaded file does not work.
            > >
            > > Now, I am into new trouble.
            > >
            > > ABhay
            > >
            > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "abhaysobti" <abhaysobti@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >

            > > > Hi everyone,
            > > >
            > > > Though I did see a similar post, I cannot manage to get it working.
            > > >
            > > > Basically, I want the Units of a Layout to contain contents of
            > > External
            > > > HTML files. How can I manage to do it. I tried using the connection
            > > > manager but with no luck.
            > > >
            > > > Abhay

          • abhaysobti
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 22 11:43 PM

              Thanks for the reply guys,

              I wrote this function which is used by passing a URL and the Unit Position and the function asynchronously populates the Unit with the content of the Url [which is simply an HTML file]. What if I want to place a DataTable in this file? In that case, I will have to HTML file to contain JavaScript to create the DataTable and the DataSource. However, this doesn't happen.

              Frankly, I love the YUI. It is a fantastic framework with Great features and a clearcut roadmap. I also evaluated "DHTMLSuite" framework. One good thing is , it can load external HTML files on the fly in any panel while creation itself.

              // Abhay :
              function LoadUrlInUnitByPosition(cUrl,cPosition) {

               // We first create a callback object. Note that we also set the UNIT argument to the
               // name of the UNIT which needs to be populated with the response.
               var callback=
               {
                success:LoadUrlInUnitByPositionSuccess,
                failure:LoadUrlInUnitByPositionFailure,
                argument:{Unit:cPosition}
               }

               // Now we hit the server with an asynchronous request
               var request=YAHOO.util.Connect.asyncRequest('GET',cUrl,callback);

              }

              // Success Handler
              var LoadUrlInUnitByPositionSuccess=function(o){
               // We first identify the Unit which needs to be popyulated with the response from the
               // server.
               // Note that "layout" is an object defined in the main page of the html file.
               var oUnit=layout.getUnitByPosition(o.argument.Unit);
               oUnit.set('body',o.responseText);
              }
              // Failure handler.
              var LoadUrlInUnitByPositionFailure=function(o){
               // We first identify the Unit which needs to be popyulated with the response from the
               // server.
               var oUnit=layout.getUnitByPosition(o.argument.Unit);

              I need and an urgent solution.

              Thanks for the help !!

              Abhay

              --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Caridy Patino" <caridy@...> wrote:

              > Yeah, as Eric said you can use the dispatcher. Unfortunatelly the
              > current version of the dispatcher is not integrated with the "layout
              > manager", as it's with the "Tabview", I hope to have this feature for
              > the next release. Meanwhile you can use it manually, and inserting the
              > content directly into a certain unit.
              >
              > If you need help with this?, just let me know.
              >
              > Best Regards,
              > Caridy Patino (caridy at yahoo-inc.com)
              > Yahoo! LATAM
              >
              > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Eric Miraglia miraglia@ wrote:
              > >
              > > ABhay,
              > >
              > > JavaScript can't be reliably inserted via innerHTML. If you want
              > > these pages to behave "normally," you'll need to load them in iframes.
              > >
              > > If all of these disparate pages are part of your own application and
              > > you control them, you should separate out the JS from the CSS and
              > > HTML. Then, you can use the Get Utility or YUI Loader to bring in
              > > your JavaScript and CSS and use Connection Manager to bring in your
              > > markup (or data from which you build your markup).
              > >
              > > If these are pages you don't control, you'll have to parse the
              > > JavaScript out once you fetch the page with Connection Manager.
              > > Caridy's Dispatcher Plugin
              > (http://www.bubbling-library.com/eng/api/docs/plugins/dispatcher
              > > ) is often used for this; Caridy may be able to advise you as to
              > > whether this would be effective in your case.
              > >
              > > If you control the content, though, it's much better to fetch your
              > > data with Connection Manager without mixing in JS and CSS.
              > >
              > > -Eric
              > >

              > > On Aug 22, 2008, at 2:11 AM, abhaysobti wrote:
              > >
              > > > Ok , I managed to put the contents of an external HTML file into a
              > > > Unit of a layout using the Connection Manager. However, the
              > > > Javascript inside the loaded file does not work.
              > > >
              > > > Now, I am into new trouble.
              > > >
              > > > ABhay
              > > >
              > > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "abhaysobti" <abhaysobti@>

              > > > External

            • abhaysobti
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 23 2:09 AM
                Right,

                It seems to be working now : I wrote another function which loads an
                external file into a Unit of a Layout.

                function LoadUrlInUnitByPositionUsingDispatcher(cUrl,cUnit) {
                var oUnit=layout.getUnitByPosition(cUnit);
                YAHOO.plugin.Dispatcher.fetch ( oUnit.body, cUrl );
                }

                wrote:

> [...]
                > > >
                > > > If all of these disparate pages are part of your own application
                and
                > > > you control them, you should separate out the JS from the CSS and
                > > > HTML. Then, you can use the Get Utility or YUI Loader to bring in
                > > > your JavaScript and CSS and use Connection Manager to bring in
                your
                > > > markup (or data from which you build your markup).
                > > >
                > > > If these are pages you don't control, you'll have to parse the
                > > > JavaScript out once you fetch the page with Connection Manager.
                > > > Caridy's Dispatcher Plugin
                > > (http://www.bubbling-library.com/eng/api/docs/plugins/dispatcher
                > > > ) is often used for this; Caridy may be able to advise you as to
                > > > whether this would be effective in your case.
                > > >
                > > > If you control the content, though, it's much better to fetch your
                > > > data with Connection Manager without mixing in JS and CSS.

              • abhaysobti
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 24 4:04 AM

                  Wrong :

                  Ok , I managed to load an external HTML file, but

                  But if the loaded page has code like :

                  YAHOO.util.Event.addListener(window,"load",init)

                  doesn't fire the init function

                  WHY?

                  Thanks

                • Caridy Patino
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 24 10:28 AM
                    Hello,

                    I think I know what is happening. The dispatcher use an Anonymous
                    function to execute inline scripts, which mean that your variables are
                    not global. For example:

                    <script>
                    function init () {
                    // your stuff here
                    }
                    </script>

                    Will be transformed into this:
                    <script>
                    (function() {
                    function init () {
                    // your stuff here
                    }
                    })();
                    </script>

                    So, "init" init is not a global variable and is only accessible within
                    the same script chunk.

                    So to tackle this issue you can use namespacing:

                    <script>
                    YAHOO.example.init = function () {
                    // your stuff here
                    }
                    </script>

                    Or the nasty trick to force it to global:
                    <script>
                    window.init = function () {
                    // your stuff here
                    }
                    </script>

                    P.S. I guess you should use onDOMReady instead of onLoad.

                    Best Regards,
                    Caridy Patino

                    wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > var request=YAHOO.util.Connect.asyncRequest('GET',cUrl,callback);
                    > > >
                    > > > }
                    > > >
                    > > > // Success Handler
                    > > > var LoadUrlInUnitByPositionSuccess=function(o){
                    > > > // We first identify the Unit which needs to be popyulated with the
                    > > > response from the
                    > > > // server.
                    > > > // Note that "layout" is an object defined in the main page of the
                    > > html
                    > > > file.
                    > > > var oUnit=layout.getUnitByPosition(o.argument.Unit);
                    > > > oUnit.set('body',o.responseText);
                    > > > }
                    > > > // Failure handler.
                    > > > var LoadUrlInUnitByPositionFailure=function(o){
                    > > > // We first identify the Unit which needs to be popyulated with the
                    > > > response from the
                    > > > // server.
                    > > > var oUnit=layout.getUnitByPosition(o.argument.Unit);

                  • abhaysobti
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 24 11:39 PM

                      Thanks Caridy,

                      Aah but I just make it work :

                      I have a Layout with 4 Units. After the layout is rendered, I populate the Units with contents from external HTML files. Since the Layout Manager does not have support for external files, a use a function to use a Despatcher to load the contents into the units.

                      The function is :
                      function LoadUrlInUnitByPositionUsingDispatcher(cUrl,cUnit) {
                          var oUnit=layout.getUnitByPosition(cUnit);
                          YAHOO.plugin.Dispatcher.fetch ( oUnit.body, cUrl );
                       }

                      Now , say the top panel is a HTML file which needs a "Logout" link. When a user clicks this link, a SimpleDialog needs to ask the user whether he really wants to logout.  Can you tell me what should be the code in this HTML page to make it work?

                      Thanks for your immense effort in trying to solve my problem. Thanks in advance

                    • Caridy Patino
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 25 7:27 AM
                        Hello Abhay,

                        I think you have few options here, I will explain 2 of them:

                        1. In the content of the top panel (loaded by the dispatcher), you can
                        have a link like this one:

                        <a id='login' href="login.php">login</a>

                        And then you can add your own listener to that link:

                        <script>
                        YAHOO.util.Event.on('login', 'click', function(e) {
                        // display the dialog
                        });
                        </script>

                        2. You can define a global behavior using the Bubbling Core
                        (bubbling.js), creating a adding a new default action (in your
                        application core):

                        YAHOO.Bubbling.addDefaultAction('actionLogin', function() {
                        /* display the dialog */
                        });

                        and then all the links like this one:

                        will fire the default action on click, and you don't need to define
                        listeners directly :-)