Re: [ydn-javascript] Bug: Interaction between animate and overflow styles.

  • Nige White
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
      Eric Miraglia wrote:

      > Nigel,
      >
      > Could you post a url for folks to play with in exploring the issue
      > you describe?
      >
      > Regards,
      > Eric

      https://secure0.forward-comp.co.uk/yui/TestCalendar.html

      (The calendars accepts only dates up to and including today, so you
      won't be able to select anything past the 1st, or move the month/year
      forwards initially - not a bug!)

      Click on the month, and a menu of months should appear. Its clipped at
      the caslendar border on IE.

      I'm leaning towards it being an IE bug with its "filter:(opacity)"
      thingy only bringing up the opacity of a rectangular area. The month
      menu overruns the calendar box, so I think I'll just have to not use
      fade in on IE.

      BTW, shouldn't very common things like browser detection be in some
      central js file? I currently use YAHOO.util.Event.isIE, but it doesn't
      make sense being in the Event object!

      Also, the Dom object has very useful methods. An additional one would be
      getOuterWidth() (and Height) which gets the full screen space occupied
      by an element rather than its content area. This would include its
      borders. This is useful when calculating explicitly laid out widgets.

      I asume you are aware of Dojo? We rejected Dojo because it looked a bit
      flaky (Full of TODO,FIXME, and "I don't understand this" comments!) but
      it has some super-useful facilities.

      Nige

      e-mail : hostmaster@...
    • Eric Miraglia
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2006

        Also, the Dom object has very useful methods. An additional one would be

        getOuterWidth() (and Height) which gets the full screen space occupied

        by an element rather than its content area. This would include its

        borders. This is useful when calculating explicitly laid out widgets.

        That's an interesting suggestion — I can definitely see some use for the kind of utility you're suggesting here.  We'll add that to the list of things we're looking at for future functionality.

        I asume you are aware of Dojo? ...

        it has some super-useful facilities.

        Yep, we're aware of Dojo.  Alex Russell, who is a member of this group, is Dojo's creator.

        We've said this elsewhere, but it bears repeating: Dojo is a great project and it's a compelling choice for anyone who's developing rich in-browser applications.  It contains many "super-useful facilities" including some you won't find in any other library (including ours).

        We spent a lot of time thinking about and reviewing existing libraries when we were considering developing the YUI Library.  We concluded that the heterogeneity of Yahoo's development environments demanded a different blend of modularity and robustness than what existed up to that point.  Nevertheless, we're big fans of Dojo.

        -Eric