Enter Key with Auto Complete

  • THECREW
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
      I would like to enable the enter key so that once a selection has been
      made that the form can be submitted and not have to use the submit
      button. Any help on where this has been disabled would be great.

      Thanks
      Jim
    • jennykhan
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
        Hi Jim,

        What about hooking into the itemSelectEvent to submit the form?
        Something like

        myAutoComp.itemSelectEvent.subscribe(myHandler);

        var myHandler = function(){
        myForm.submit();
        }

        Jenny

        --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "THECREW" <jim@...> wrote:

        > I would like to enable the enter key so that once a selection has been
        > made that the form can be submitted and not have to use the submit
        > button. Any help on where this has been disabled would be great.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Jim

      • Jim Baumann
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
          Jenny,

          If I add the form.submit() before
          oAutoComp.itemSelectEvent.subscribe(myHandler);
          then it submits with out filling in the secondary field if I put it after
          it goes into a loop. Any Idea of what I can do here.

          Thanks

          oACDS = new YAHOO.widget.DS_XHR("requests.php", ["ResultSet.Result",
          "firstName", "lastName"]);
          oACDS.queryMatchContains = true;
          oACDS.scriptQueryAppend = "output=json&do=actionname"; // Needed for YWS

          // Instantiate auto complete
          oAutoComp = new YAHOO.widget.AutoComplete("FormFieldName","DivName",
          oACDS' . $widget . ');
          oAutoComp.maxResultsDisplayed = 200; // Display up to 20 results in the
          container
          oAutoComp.forceSelection = true; // Enable force selection
          oAutoComp.queryDelay = 0; // Every key
          input event will trigger an immediate query...

          // Format results since we are returning more then the first element in
          the array
          oAutoComp.formatResult = function(oResultItem, sQuery) {
          // This was defined by the schema array of the data source
          var sFirstName = oResultItem[0];
          var sMarkup = sFirstName;
          return (sMarkup);

          var myHandler = function(type, args, me) {
          var oAutoComp = args[0]; // the autocomplete instance
          var elListItem = args[1]; // the result list item element
          var keyData = args[2][0]; // result data [0]
          var moredata = args[2][2]; // result data [1]

          document.getElementById("DivName").value = moredata; // Set data into
          employeeID form field
          }

          --
          Jim Baumann
          PoorMansWeb
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
            Hi Jim,

            Sorry, I don't quite follow. Is this causing an infinite loop for you?
            I don't see where you are calling submit() on the form. If you
            continue to have this problem, can you paste the entire HTML into a
            message (or even better, send us a link), and be sure to mention what
            browser and OS you're on.

            Thanks!
            jenny