Re: Are scripts under /example directory under BSD license ?

  • randomjuju
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hello!

      I'd also argue that this is a barrier to IP-conscious businesses (like
      mine) adopting YUI. If we don't know what we're getting ourselves
      into with respect to IP issues, we're not going to be able to use the
      technology.

      Is somebody at least looking into this? Is there anybody else I can ask?

      Thanks.

      -Jon

      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "randomjuju" <jon.chambers@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi there.
      >
      > I think this is a really important question and would also very much
      > appreciate a clarification on the licensing of the example code. It's
      > particularly important since many of us get started with the library
      > by reading through the examples. You've done an excellent job of
      > thinking up very relevant examples, but that could be a real problem
      > since many of us need to do exactly the things you've done in the
      > examples. If they're copyrighted and not freely licensed, it seems
      > like we'd need to purge our brains of the examples we'd looked at
      > before writing our own code, which would be Most Inconvenient(tm).
      >
      > Adding to the potential for inconvenience: you introduce widget-like
      > things in the examples that don't exist elsewhere in the library (e.g.
      > the HSV color picker). I would LOVE to see those widgets in the main
      > library, but if I can't because of copyright issues, I'd be pretty
      > disappointed.
      >
      > Thanks very much!
      >
      > -Jon
      >
      > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "ashish_patil0"
      > <ashish_patil0@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > > Yahoo! UI library is awesome . I like the drag and drop
      implementation.
      > > I wanted to use it onto my site but I found that *.js files in
      > > D:\ashish\Temp\yui\examples\dragdrop\js folder only say
      > > '/* Copyright (c) 2006 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. */ where as
      > > those in 'build' directory explicitly specify BSD licensing.
      > >
      > > So is this code under BSD license ??
      > > The code in examples of dragdrop is very important for doing anything
      > > usefull with DragDrop (I think). Can it be included somewhere under
      > > under build folder ??? (DragDropUtils..or something).
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > Ashish

    • randomjuju
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 15, 2006
        I hate to be a pest, but I just don't know where else I could be
        directing my inquiries. Is anybody at Yahoo looking into this?

        wrote:

        > Hello!
        >
        > I'd also argue that this is a barrier to IP-conscious businesses (like
        > mine) adopting YUI. If we don't know what we're getting ourselves
        > into with respect to IP issues, we're not going to be able to use the
        > technology.
        >
        > Is somebody at least looking into this? Is there anybody else I can
        ask?

        > Thanks.
        >
        > -Jon
        >
        > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "randomjuju" <jon.chambers@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi there.
        > >
        > > I think this is a really important question and would also very much
        > > appreciate a clarification on the licensing of the example code. It's
        > > particularly important since many of us get started with the library
        > > by reading through the examples. You've done an excellent job of
        > > thinking up very relevant examples, but that could be a real problem
        > > since many of us need to do exactly the things you've done in the
        > > examples. If they're copyrighted and not freely licensed, it seems
        > > like we'd need to purge our brains of the examples we'd looked at
        > > before writing our own code, which would be Most Inconvenient(tm).
        > >
        > > Adding to the potential for inconvenience: you introduce widget-like
        > > things in the examples that don't exist elsewhere in the library (e.g.
        > > the HSV color picker). I would LOVE to see those widgets in the main
        > > library, but if I can't because of copyright issues, I'd be pretty
        > > disappointed.
        > >
        > > Thanks very much!
        > >
        > > -Jon
        > >
        > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "ashish_patil0"
        > > <ashish_patil0@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi,
        > > > Yahoo! UI library is awesome . I like the drag and drop
        > implementation.
        > > > I wanted to use it onto my site but I found that *.js files in
        > > > D:\ashish\Temp\yui\examples\dragdrop\js folder only say
        > > > '/* Copyright (c) 2006 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. */ where as
        > > > those in 'build' directory explicitly specify BSD licensing.
        > > >
        > > > So is this code under BSD license ??
        > > > The code in examples of dragdrop is very important for doing
        anything
        > > > usefull with DragDrop (I think). Can it be included somewhere under
        > > > under build folder ??? (DragDropUtils..or something).
        > > >
        > > > Regards,
        > > > Ashish

      • Thomas S. Sha
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 17, 2006
          wrote:

          > Hi there.
          >
          > I think this is a really important question and would also very much
          > appreciate a clarification on the licensing of the example code. It's
          > particularly important since many of us get started with the library
          > by reading through the examples. You've done an excellent job of
          > thinking up very relevant examples, but that could be a real problem
          > since many of us need to do exactly the things you've done in the
          > examples. If they're copyrighted and not freely licensed, it seems
          > like we'd need to purge our brains of the examples we'd looked at
          > before writing our own code, which would be Most Inconvenient(tm).
          >
          > Adding to the potential for inconvenience: you introduce widget-like
          > things in the examples that don't exist elsewhere in the library (e.g.
          > the HSV color picker). I would LOVE to see those widgets in the main
          > library, but if I can't because of copyright issues, I'd be pretty
          > disappointed.

          Sorry for my late reply to this(and related) query.

          The licensing terms are applicable for the YUI source and example
          code. The examples exist to demonstrate potential use cases for each
          YUI component, as well as seed ideas. Over time, some examples may be
          further refined and incorporated officially into YUI (e.g., colour
          picker).

          Regards,
          Thomas
        • shahproject2003
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 18, 2006
            Hi Jon,

            I have also question, that can we copy the yahoo_2.0.0-b3.js file,
            and use for commercial website at work? Is there any licensing
            procedure required?

            YUI is nice, but I am not sure can we copy the script, library and
            DOM in our project or not?

            I would appreciate, if you found something about it and suggest me
            something in it.

            Thanks,
            Shah

            <jon.chambers@...> wrote:

            > Hello!
            >
            > I'd also argue that this is a barrier to IP-conscious businesses
            (like
            > mine) adopting YUI. If we don't know what we're getting ourselves
            > into with respect to IP issues, we're not going to be able to use
            the
            > technology.
            >
            > Is somebody at least looking into this? Is there anybody else I
            can ask?

            > Thanks.
            >
            > -Jon
            >
            > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "randomjuju" <jon.chambers@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi there.
            > >
            > > I think this is a really important question and would also very
            much
            > > appreciate a clarification on the licensing of the example
            code. It's
            > > particularly important since many of us get started with the
            library
            > > by reading through the examples. You've done an excellent job of
            > > thinking up very relevant examples, but that could be a real
            problem
            > > since many of us need to do exactly the things you've done in the
            > > examples. If they're copyrighted and not freely licensed, it
            seems
            > > like we'd need to purge our brains of the examples we'd looked at
            > > before writing our own code, which would be Most Inconvenient
            (tm).

            > > Adding to the potential for inconvenience: you introduce widget-
            like
            > > things in the examples that don't exist elsewhere in the library
            (e.g.
            > > the HSV color picker). I would LOVE to see those widgets in the
            main
            > > library, but if I can't because of copyright issues, I'd be
            pretty
            > > disappointed.
            > >
            > > Thanks very much!
            > >
            > > -Jon
            > >
            > > --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "ashish_patil0"
            > > <ashish_patil0@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi,
            > > > Yahoo! UI library is awesome . I like the drag and drop
            > implementation.
            > > > I wanted to use it onto my site but I found that *.js files in
            > > > D:\ashish\Temp\yui\examples\dragdrop\js folder only say
            > > > '/* Copyright (c) 2006 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. */
            where as
            > > > those in 'build' directory explicitly specify BSD licensing.
            > > >
            > > > So is this code under BSD license ??
            > > > The code in examples of dragdrop is very important for doing
            anything
            > > > usefull with DragDrop (I think). Can it be included somewhere
            under
            > > > under build folder ??? (DragDropUtils..or something).
            > > >
            > > > Regards,
            > > > Ashish

          • randomjuju
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 20, 2006
              Thanks very much -- I really appreciate that you took the time to look
              into this!

              -Jon