Re: [ydn-javascript] Re: Why doesn't this group show up in Google?

  • Randall R Schulz
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2008
      On Sunday 03 August 2008 07:24, Chris Curran wrote:
      > I don't think that's what was asked. Note the "this group" portion of
      > the original post. They want to search the messages of this group
      > using Google. Me too for that matter.

      I don't see the problem. When I searched, the first hit I got was a
      Nabble mirror of this list, e.g.

      What's more, the second hit was the Nabble entry for the first post of
      this very thread!

      Clearly this list is not only indexed, but mirrored in at least one
      place, so if you're not finding things, I don't think is the search
      services' fault.

      > For example, using your search term, there are no hits in
      > "http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ydn-javascript...".
      >
      > cheers & beers,
      > Chris

      Randall Schulz
    • Eric Miraglia
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 14, 2008
        Chris and Randall,

        Yahoo! Groups has not been search-engine friendly for much of its history.  That's not a good thing, and it's fair to say that it's a problem with a group of this nature where having the content be indexible makes it much more valuable.

        The Groups engineers tell me that they've recently resolved a couple of lingering issues and that Google and Yahoo and other robots are now indexing Yahoo! Groups with public content (like this one).  They advise, too, that it will be a long time before Groups content makes it high into search engine result rankings due to the nature of search algorithms.

        This does seem to bear out for me.  If I search for "ydn-javascript datatable satyam", I see that the third and fourth results are links directly into the group.  (The first two links are to Nabble scrapes of this group's content.)  On other searches, I sometimes see this group's content on page three or four of the results list.

        Over time, hopefully the 35,000+ pages of YUI related content here will make its way into the major search indexes and become much more accessible.

        Regards,
        Eric

        On Aug 3, 2008, at 11:14 AM, Randall R Schulz wrote:

        On Sunday 03 August 2008 07:24, Chris Curran wrote:
        > I don't think that's what was asked. Note the "this group" portion of
        > the original post. They want to search the messages of this group
        > using Google. Me too for that matter.

        I don't see the problem. When I searched, the first hit I got was a
        Nabble mirror of this list, e.g.

        What's more, the second hit was the Nabble entry for the first post of
        this very thread!

        Clearly this list is not only indexed, but mirrored in at least one
        place, so if you're not finding things, I don't think is the search
        services' fault.

        > For example, using your search term, there are no hits in
        > "http://tech. groups.yahoo. com/group/ ydn-javascript. ..".
        >
        > cheers & beers,
        > Chris

        Randall Schulz