RE: [ydn-javascript] Serializing DOM components

  • gerry@xltopia.co.uk
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 14, 2006

      Dan,

      Have you got any SIMPLE examples of scriptaculous drag and drop and sorts?  I’m currently planning to “portalize” my website, with customizable content and layout.  I’ve briefly looked at scriptaculous and rico, as well as a few others but the documentation is almost non-existent.

      Gerry

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 14, 2006
        Dan,

        We don't have a serialization function in the works, as far as I know; as one poster pointed out, though, there are some good ones out there from which you can draw.

        To answer your question about scrollable containers, Adam Moore, who wrote the YUI Drag and Drop Utility, did a terrific job making sure that the page scrolls when you drag to the edges of the viewport.  This is a hard thing to get right in all the A-grade browsers we support; we've been happy so far with the implementation.

        We'll be curious to hear what you think.

        -Eric

        On Feb 14, 2006, at 2:36 PM, shooting_star2000 wrote:

        Hello all, I have a question about the Serialization of DOM
        components. I am currently using the scriptaculous API for various
        drag and drop components, sorting lists, etc. It can be found at the
        following:

        Although this API is pretty amazing for what you can do, it gets a bit
        shaky when it comes to incorporating some of its functionality into
        scrollable containers. I'm curious how the Yahoo! UI Library handles
        this sort of thing.

        1 good thing about scriptaculous is its ability to serialize entire
        DOM containers via a simple call. I need this functionality in
        whatever i choose going forward. Does anyone know if the Yahoo! UI
        Library provides for this kind of functionality?

        Thank you so much for your knowledge and opinions.

        Dan

        Yahoo! Groups Links