Vector Graphics Library in the Future?

  • louisarquie
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2006
      Is Yahoo working on a Vector Graphics Library for the Web (JavaScript
      or other)?
      Any chance we will see that in the next 2 years?
      Any other vector graphics library recommendation from anyone?
      Thanks!
      Louis
    • Jeff Delezen
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2006

        Its already been through a revision or two (done by the W3C Org) and its acronym is SVG or scalable vector graphics, and it is implemented as an extensible markup language.

        Is Yahoo working on a Vector Graphics Library for the Web (JavaScript
        or other)?
        Any chance we will see that in the next 2 years?
        Any other vector graphics library recommendation from anyone?
        Thanks!
        Louis

        Yahoo! Mail
      • louisarquie
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28, 2006
          Thanks.

          I'd like to develop graphics with rich functionality where the end-
          user can drag a part of the graphic, the graphic is recomputed and
          rendered in real-time while the customer is dragging.

          The ideal solution would be:
          - cross-browser compatible,
          - no download, no plug-in necessary,
          - client-side computing/drawing/rendering (no need to go back to the
          server to recompute the graphics).

          Anything exists or on its way for the web?

          Thanks,
          Louis

          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Delezen
          <jdelezen001001@...> wrote:

          > v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}o\:* {behavior:url
          (#default#VML);}w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}..shape
          {behavior:url(#default#VML);}

          javascript@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of louisarquie
          > Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 20062:47 PM
          > To: ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [ydn-javascript] VectorGraphics Library in the Future?
          >

          > Is Yahoo working on a VectorGraphics Library for the Web
          (JavaScript
          > or other)?
          > Any chance we will see that in the next 2 years?
          > Any other vector graphics library recommendationfrom anyone?
          > Thanks!
          > Louis
          >

          > SPONSOREDLINKS
          >

          > C programming language
          >
          > Computer programming languages
          >
          > Java programming language
          >
          > The c programming language
          >
          > C programming language
          >
          > Concept of programming language
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          >

          > YAHOO!GROUPS LINKS
          >

          > Visit your group "ydn-javascript" on the web.

          Terms of Service.

          > ---------------------------------
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > Yahoo! Mail

        • Jeff Delezen
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 28, 2006

            You should really like Vista as it seems to have a focus on rendering vector graphics as much as possible a la XAML.  You might want to download the Feb CTP WPF from Microsoft and run Microsoft Expressions and Interactive (under codename Cider) – they are XML rendered interactive vector graphics.  As for using this tech today, try AJAX and SVG or flash and AJAX (these are about as cross-browser compatible as possible – I don’t think it is possible for something to cross all possible browser lines).

            <jdelezen001001@...> wrote:

            > v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}o\:* {behavior:url
            (#default#VML);}w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}..shape
            {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
            > Its already been through a revision or two(done by the W3C Org)
            and its acronym is SVG or scalable vector graphics, andit is
            implemented as an extensible markup language.

            Terms of Service.

            > Yahoo! Mail
            > Bring photos to life! New PhotoMail  makes sharing a breeze.

            Yahoo! Mail