Re: [ydn-javascript] Bug: Interaction between animate and overflow styles.

  • Eric Miraglia
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28 11:10 AM
      Nigel,

      Could you post a url for folks to play with in exploring the issue
      you describe?

      Regards,
      Eric

      On Feb 27, 2006, at 2:21 AM, Nige White wrote:

      > I'm still in the experimentation phase, so I'm adding bells and
      > whistles
      > just to test them. I think I've uncovered a bug.
      >
      > I have a calendar which is popping up. Clicking on the month, displays
      > the month menu. This has been working fine.
      >
      > However, when I fade the calendar up using animation of opacity,
      > rather
      > than just setting its visibility to "", the month menu is clipped
      > at the
      > boundary of the calendar, but ONLY on Internet Exporer - not Mozilla:
      >
      > pic
      >
      > I think there is some interference that the animation does with the
      > styles of elements in the animated element.
      >
      > Nigel

    • Nige White
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2006
        Eric Miraglia wrote:

        > Nigel,
        >
        > Could you post a url for folks to play with in exploring the issue
        > you describe?
        >
        > Regards,
        > Eric

        https://secure0.forward-comp.co.uk/yui/TestCalendar.html

        (The calendars accepts only dates up to and including today, so you
        won't be able to select anything past the 1st, or move the month/year
        forwards initially - not a bug!)

        Click on the month, and a menu of months should appear. Its clipped at
        the caslendar border on IE.

        I'm leaning towards it being an IE bug with its "filter:(opacity)"
        thingy only bringing up the opacity of a rectangular area. The month
        menu overruns the calendar box, so I think I'll just have to not use
        fade in on IE.

        BTW, shouldn't very common things like browser detection be in some
        central js file? I currently use YAHOO.util.Event.isIE, but it doesn't
        make sense being in the Event object!

        Also, the Dom object has very useful methods. An additional one would be
        getOuterWidth() (and Height) which gets the full screen space occupied
        by an element rather than its content area. This would include its
        borders. This is useful when calculating explicitly laid out widgets.

        I asume you are aware of Dojo? We rejected Dojo because it looked a bit
        flaky (Full of TODO,FIXME, and "I don't understand this" comments!) but
        it has some super-useful facilities.

        Nige

        e-mail : hostmaster@...
      • Eric Miraglia
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2006

          Also, the Dom object has very useful methods. An additional one would be

          getOuterWidth() (and Height) which gets the full screen space occupied

          by an element rather than its content area. This would include its

          borders. This is useful when calculating explicitly laid out widgets.

          That's an interesting suggestion — I can definitely see some use for the kind of utility you're suggesting here.  We'll add that to the list of things we're looking at for future functionality.

          I asume you are aware of Dojo? ...

          it has some super-useful facilities.

          Yep, we're aware of Dojo.  Alex Russell, who is a member of this group, is Dojo's creator.

          We've said this elsewhere, but it bears repeating: Dojo is a great project and it's a compelling choice for anyone who's developing rich in-browser applications.  It contains many "super-useful facilities" including some you won't find in any other library (including ours).

          We spent a lot of time thinking about and reviewing existing libraries when we were considering developing the YUI Library.  We concluded that the heterogeneity of Yahoo's development environments demanded a different blend of modularity and robustness than what existed up to that point.  Nevertheless, we're big fans of Dojo.

          -Eric