Autocomplete Question

  • justinamcclain
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
      Hi,

      I am pretty new to yui and was wondering how I make a autocomplete
      widget like search yui (http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/). I am am
      able to get autocomplete to work but unable to get my results to show
      up in a scrollable box. Thanks
    • Gopal Venkatesan
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
        ----- "justinamcclain" <justinamcclain@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I am pretty new to yui and was wondering how I make a autocomplete
        > widget like search yui (http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/). I am
        > am
        > able to get autocomplete to work but unable to get my results to show
        > up in a scrollable box. Thanks

        Hi justinamcclain:

        Can you post the source if possible? I'm guessing you might be trying to do a cross-domain Ajax request from your domain to Y! Search. This is not allowed. You'll have to have a proxy in between.

        HTH.
        --
        Gopal Venkatesan
        http://gopalarathnam.com/weblog/
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
          Hey,

          If the problem is related with cross-domain request, you can use a
          different datasource type (YAHOO.widget.DS_ScriptNode) and it should work.

          I will recommend you to take a look to this article:

          http://www.insideria.com/2008/05/writing-your-first-yui-applica.html

          Best Regards,
          Caridy Patino (caridy at yahoo-inc.com)

          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, Gopal Venkatesan <gopal@...> wrote:

          > ----- "justinamcclain" <justinamcclain@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I am pretty new to yui and was wondering how I make a autocomplete
          > > widget like search yui (http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/). I am
          > > am
          > > able to get autocomplete to work but unable to get my results to show
          > > up in a scrollable box. Thanks
          >
          > Hi justinamcclain:
          >
          > Can you post the source if possible? I'm guessing you might be
          trying to do a cross-domain Ajax request from your domain to Y!
          Search. This is not allowed. You'll have to have a proxy in between.

          > HTH.
          > --
          > Gopal Venkatesan
          > http://gopalarathnam.com/weblog/

        • Justin McClain
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
            Thanks for the responses, but I think I didnt explain my question clearly. I am able to get the autocomplete results to show up. I want to know how to format it like the api documentation on the YUI page. I want there to be a box where the results show up, not a popup window. I have no clue how to do this.

            Justin

            If the problem is related with cross-domain request, you can use a
            different datasource type (YAHOO.widget. DS_ScriptNode) and it should work.

            I will recommend you to take a look to this article:

            http://www.insideri a.com/2008/ 05/writing- your-first- yui-applica. html

            Best Regards,
            Caridy Patino (caridy at yahoo-inc.com)

            --- In ydn-javascript@ yahoogroups. com, Gopal Venkatesan <gopal@...> wrote:

            > ----- "justinamcclain" <justinamcclain@ ...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I am pretty new to yui and was wondering how I make a autocomplete
            > > widget like search yui (http://developer. yahoo.com/ yui/docs/). I am
            > > am
            > > able to get autocomplete to work but unable to get my results to show
            > > up in a scrollable box. Thanks
            >
            > Hi justinamcclain:
            >
            > Can you post the source if possible? I'm guessing you might be
            trying to do a cross-domain Ajax request from your domain to Y!
            Search. This is not allowed. You'll have to have a proxy in between.

            > HTH.
            > --
            > Gopal Venkatesan
            > http://gopalarathna m.com/weblog/

          • Eric Miraglia
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
              Justin,

              Check out the skinning example for AutoComplete:

              Where it shows the CSS for the skin, look at the following lines:

              11 /* styles for results container */
              12 .yui-skin-sam .yui-ac-container {
              13    position:absolute;top:1.6em;width:100%;
              14

              If you add a height declaration to this rule, your results will scroll (if the height of the result list exceeds the height you define).

              Regards,
              Eric