Issue with Panels

  • dateimoerder
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2008
      Hello,

      I'm a teacher and I'm really just getting into CSS / Javascript, so be
      gentle I've only just popped my cherry.

      So far I've successfully figured out a system which allows a given
      word within a body of text to both have a tooltip popup box, as well
      as a panel pop up for it when clicked.

      My intent is to create a series of webpages that contain assignment
      information for students, such as how to complete a project. The hope
      is that I can code this page in such a way that all the 'difficult'
      words contain a tooltip with a basic definition, and then have a panel
      that will pop up when they are clicked with a much more indepth
      definition, including a pronunciation guide and wave file that when an
      Icon is clicked the student can listen to the definition (for those
      with disabilities / language issues).

      Here are the problems I forsee and would like help with avoiding:

      Firstly, through my testing I have discovered that only the first
      instance of a particular id within a page will launch my tooltip or
      the panel. This is problematic because though most students will 'get
      it' that the first instance is the only clickable one, I would like
      all of them to function the same. I do not feel like coding a whole
      bunch of ID's and entries for those ID's to make that work... who would?

      Ive seen some stuff related to groupIDs but at my current level of
      understanding I really cant make sense of it. Can someone explicate
      this a bit further for me. I'm not dumb... I just dont have the
      rudiments down.

      Secondly, I've done some limited testing to attempt to make it so that
      the in-depth glossary entries are not in-line to the page, but rather
      that they are external held in .html files in a sub-directory called
      /glossary/. This would be an ideal setup because it would allow me to
      link to pages in the glossary directory for the content of my panels
      so that I would only need to change those .html files in order to
      change content over multiple assignment pages.

      The problem I'm facing with this is that my limited CSS / HTML
      knowledge doesnt seem to be cutting it. I attempted using a frame
      within the panel to show the content, but it doesnt even show the
      content of the referenced html file.

      Regards-
      Robert "Dateimoerder" Ralph
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2008
        Ids have to be unique, there is no way around it, that's the standard.

        See if this suits you:

        http://satyam.com.ar/yui/2.5.0/definitions.html

        Satyam

        dateimoerder wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm a teacher and I'm really just getting into CSS / Javascript, so be
        > gentle I've only just popped my cherry.
        >
        > So far I've successfully figured out a system which allows a given
        > word within a body of text to both have a tooltip popup box, as well
        > as a panel pop up for it when clicked.
        >
        > My intent is to create a series of webpages that contain assignment
        > information for students, such as how to complete a project. The hope
        > is that I can code this page in such a way that all the 'difficult'
        > words contain a tooltip with a basic definition, and then have a panel
        > that will pop up when they are clicked with a much more indepth
        > definition, including a pronunciation guide and wave file that when an
        > Icon is clicked the student can listen to the definition (for those
        > with disabilities / language issues).
        >
        > Here are the problems I forsee and would like help with avoiding:
        >
        > Firstly, through my testing I have discovered that only the first
        > instance of a particular id within a page will launch my tooltip or
        > the panel. This is problematic because though most students will 'get
        > it' that the first instance is the only clickable one, I would like
        > all of them to function the same. I do not feel like coding a whole
        > bunch of ID's and entries for those ID's to make that work... who would?
        >
        > Ive seen some stuff related to groupIDs but at my current level of
        > understanding I really cant make sense of it. Can someone explicate
        > this a bit further for me. I'm not dumb... I just dont have the
        > rudiments down.
        >
        > Secondly, I've done some limited testing to attempt to make it so that
        > the in-depth glossary entries are not in-line to the page, but rather
        > that they are external held in .html files in a sub-directory called
        > /glossary/. This would be an ideal setup because it would allow me to
        > link to pages in the glossary directory for the content of my panels
        > so that I would only need to change those .html files in order to
        > change content over multiple assignment pages.
        >
        > The problem I'm facing with this is that my limited CSS / HTML
        > knowledge doesnt seem to be cutting it. I attempted using a frame
        > within the panel to show the content, but it doesnt even show the
        > content of the referenced html file.
        >
        > Regards-
        > Robert "Dateimoerder" Ralph

      • dateimoerder
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2008
          Thanks for your help man, but I've found another way to accomplish
          this task.

          Regards-
          Robert