Re: disabling a menu

  • wally.ritchie
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2008
      --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Wells" <ttopwells@...> wrote:

      > I'd like to disable one of the menus on my menubar depending on the
      context,
      > but I can't quite figure out the right way to do it.
      >
      > What I *thought* was the right way doesn't seem to have any effect
      (the menu
      > is still enabled and I can still pick any item on it):
      >
      > var testPassMenu = oMenuBar.getSubmenus()[1];
      > testPassMenu.cfg.disabled = true;
      >
      > What's the right way to do this?

      I use:

      testPassMenu.cfg.setProperty("disabled", true);

      although what you are doing should also work - it does for me.
      Make sure that what you want is the second "Submenu", not the second
      item on the barmenu. Disabling the submenu shows no visible change on
      the bar but the items in the submenu itself will be disabled and
      unselectable.
    • Todd Wells

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 2008
          --- In ydn-javascript@yahoogroups.com, "Todd Wells" <ttopwells@...> wrote:

          > I want to clarify what is meant here... I have a menu bar with two
          menus --
          > Project and Test Pass, each of which have a number of items on it.
          I'd like
          > to disable Test Pass in some situations, either from it being
          selected at
          > all or, as an alternative, having any of it's items selected. With the
          > method I was trying, neither was happening. How can I disable the
          item on
          > the menubar?
          >
          > On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 1:35 PM, wally.ritchie <wally.ritchie@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > I use:
          > >
          > > testPassMenu.cfg.setProperty("disabled", true);
          > >
          > > although what you are doing should also work - it does for me.
          > > Make sure that what you want is the second "Submenu", not the second
          > > item on the barmenu. Disabling the submenu shows no visible change on
          > > the bar but the items in the submenu itself will be disabled and
          > > unselectable.

          What you are doing should work. Make sure that you are using the
          barmenu object for the getSubmenus() call and not a menu item. Try an
          alert or firebug to make sure you are working with the right objects.
          The setProperty will add the class "disabled" to a division that is a
          child of the menubaritem containing the submenu.

          It's also possible you have a timing problem. I believe that the menu
          has to be rendered before you can disable it.
        • Todd Wells
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 30, 2008
            Your method worked where mine didn't (don't know why).