newbie rollercoster excited=>depressed

  • andy
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 23, 2008

      Hi

      When I first looked at the examples of the YUI I thought "Wow, this is great! I can make my admin pages look really professional"

      Now I'm not so sure.

      The big problem (looking at the forum confirms this) is that the examples show nicely on the client side, but after updating data (inline editing: datatable) or sorting data (dragdrop) there is a failure to clearly show how the data can be passed back to the server.

      I happen to be using ASP and an Access database, and the interesting thing to me about the YUI is that it doesn't seem to be important whether the YUI page is in .asp .php .htm .xyz

      But how to pass the info back!

      I started off wanting to emulate the drag and drop facility of Yahoo Mail, and if I can achieve something like that it will enable me to easily resort my students into different groups, and save a lot of messy clicking. I guess I want to be able to integrate with XMLHTTP

      So... how does one send the darn info back to the server!

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 23, 2008
        You might want to read:

        http://yuiblog.com/blog/2007/09/26/satyam-datatable-2/

        (and, as suggested, the first part as well). It was written for
        previous versions of DataTable so some details might have changed in the
        big update in version 2.5. If in doubt, check the update notes at the
        top of the DataTable docs.

        Hope it helps

        Satyam

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 24, 2008
          Hi

          Great tutorial, still getting headaches though... perhaps I'm not
          ready :-/

          What I could really use is an idiots guide, e.g.

          1. This is how your data should look (so link to appropriate asp or
          php page to process requests for that data)
          2. This is how you fill in the datatable and make it editable
          3. This is how you pass data back to your php or asp page to write to
          the database.
          4. Recommendation for appropriate drink to have once this
          successfully completed.

          Furthermore, there isn't an example which shows how drag and drop can
          be used to interact with a datatable, or to dump rows into bins (This
          is a facility I'd love.... just like in the new Yahoo Mail, as it
          would enable me to regroup my student records really easily). Your
          invoice example kind of does it, except it "copies" the original
          record, rather than moving it.

          thanks

          andy

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 24, 2008
            in the tutorial, what is the basis for your code?

            Is it the "Basic Example"... If not I think that the code request
            others have asked for is basically the example you've written in
            chunks, but all on one page.

            What have you used as your data source - as a beginner, if getting
            data from a database should I get into the habit of using JSON?

            It's really confusing to understand where to start is it with
            xmlhttp, json, jscript ahhhhhhhhhhh!

            The source code of the YUI examples don't appear to be consistent, so
            they can't be used as cut and past templates which is a real headache
            (I'm using iboprofen) for the beginner - this is especially with
            regard to the different types of datasource. I've learned all of my
            programming in this way, and I'm really wondering whether I can
            justify the time just to get started even with a simple table. I feel
            a real idiot.

            So to repeat others' earlier requests, could we have the final markup
            for the page you've written in your tutorial, please? It will make it
            1000 times easier to see how it's all finally put together.

            thanks... please don't forget part one of this message

            andy

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 24, 2008
              You may also try Dav Glass examples page:

              http://blog.davglass.com/2006/06/yui-code-samples/

              lots of material there.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 24, 2008

                andy wrote:
                in the tutorial, what is the basis for your code?

                Is it the "Basic Example"... If not I think that the code request
                others have asked for is basically the example you've written in
                chunks, but all on one page.

                Plenty of those in the examples page:

                http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/datatable/index.html

                The article explain why it works, you can get full examples from plenty of sources.
                What have you used as your data source - as a beginner, if getting
                data from a database should I get into the habit of using JSON?

                If your server supports it, why not!  It is simple, flexible and fast on the client side.  I use this:

                http://www.satyam.com.ar/yui/#phpjson

                It's really confusing to understand where to start is it with
                xmlhttp, json, jscript ahhhhhhhhhhh!

                All of the above, and then some more.
                The source code of the YUI examples don't appear to be consistent, so
                they can't be used as cut and past templates which is a real headache
                (I'm using iboprofen) for the beginner - this is especially with
                regard to the different types of datasource. I've learned all of my
                programming in this way, and I'm really wondering whether I can
                justify the time just to get started even with a simple table. I feel
                a real idiot.

                No, it is not, some of the code boxes show an evolving idea, some show alternatives.  If you are looking for code, go for the examples.
                So to repeat others' earlier requests, could we have the final markup
                for the page you've written in your tutorial, please? It will make it
                1000 times easier to see how it's all finally put together.

                Once again, there is not such things, most of the pieces in the code boxes where modified from actual code, simplified, with things renamed or expanded to make it clear.  The article is about fishing, if you want fish, look at the examples.

[...]

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    mailto:ydn-javascript-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    mailto:ydn-javascript-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG. Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 270.4.1/1514 - Release Date: 23/06/2008 7:17
              • andyboyns
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 1, 2008
                  Satyam-3 wrote:

                  > Plenty of those in the examples page:
                  >
                  > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/datatable/index.html
                  >
                  > The article explain why it works, you can get full examples from plenty
                  > of sources.

                  I'm still trying really hard to understand basic principles, and have
                  successfully walked through part of the example which is explained in
                  http://yuiblog.com/blog/2007/09/26/satyam-datatable-2/

                  Unfortunately, and surprisingly, although I've searched and searched for
                  examples showing the full process of collecting, writing, and posting data
                  using a datatable I can't find any examples which don't mix up
                  "technologies".

                  I appreciate that in this forum we're sharing experience and are not
                  actually "teachers", but YUI is seriously confusing for the beginner without
                  jscript knowledge.

                  Unfortuately I made a choice several years ago to follow the asp path,
                  rather than php, and today I see a similar path before me: YUI or not. I've
                  spent about a week just trying to fathom out how to write data onto a
                  table... I feel great about that (?), but without that next step of being
                  able to communicate back with the database on the server, this is
                  meaningless.
                  OK. I know there are snippets of code that illustrate this, but they are a
                  jumble of examples. If someone could direct me to an inline editing database
                  example which includes the collection and posting of data from start to
                  finish, I know I'll be off and flying, wondering why it all took so long
                  (and I'll close this topic off too)